Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Nah i reckon they'll condone the mistake cos i bet a ton of people made it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    They probably wouldn't be that pedantic, given that it's bio and not chemistry. I hope not anyway :s: God, I probably got a U on this paper

i agree Ellie...

Its a great point bekaboo.. i get a bit nerdy in these situations () but you're right.. mercury chloride aint a metal.. but i still think u could get away with that.

ReputationRep:
    They probably wouldn't be that pedantic, given that it's bio and not chemistry. I hope not anyway God, I probably got a U on this paper
    nownownownow lets not start gettin irrational u r NOT going to get a U..i think we will all bet our lives on it..^^
    we all juss have tow ait..everything we can do, is done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    God, I probably got a U on this paper

you will always do better than you thought in exams.. im sure you didnt get a U

ReputationRep:
    i dont remembr wot i put, but i doubt theyre gona fuss over it.

ReputationRep:
    Why ever not?
    I doubt they'll dock you the mark because so many people will have done it so the mark scheme will be edited
    But technically mercury chloride is WRONG

ReputationRep:
    NO its not, its a METAL salt!! the metal being mercury. , im pretty sure i wrote mercury myself! so dont really care.

ReputationRep:
    But it's not a metal!!
    The metal is mercury. Mercury chloride is an ionic salt of a metal but it is not in itself a metal. It does not exhibit metallic properties.
    If I asked you for the name of a carboxylic acid you wouldn't name ethanoyl chloride because even though it's ethanoic acid with some chlorine swapped for an OH it is still not a carboxylic acid!!

ReputationRep:
    umm, but your forgetting, that in carboxylic acid the OH is wot makes it the acid, which is being removed and swapped with a Cl. BUT in mercury chloride the mercury is still there.. it still acts as an inhibitor, as does copper sulphate, which is also a METAL salt. The mercury stays there!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok fine bad example - it was on my chemistry exam on tuesday :p:

At any rate it is a metal SALT not a metal!!

ReputationRep:
    OMG..ure soo persistant.. its a metal salt, and the question said that it was aqueous, and aqueos solution all metal salts are in their seperate ions ie Hg+ and Cl- in this case! ..., people will get the mark for it.

ReputationRep:
    ANYWAY! I hope we'll get the mark for it!

ReputationRep:
    Some people think they are always right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mullerice)
    Some people think they are always right.
    ...what?

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing it was aimed at me for refusing to admit that a compound containg a non metal atom is a metal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    I'm guessing it was aimed at me for refusing to admit that a compound containg a non metal atom is a metal.
    Right. Well that's silly! I don't doubt you're right, I just hope I won't get penalised fo rbeing wrong

ReputationRep:
    Bacteria r immobilised so that they could be used over and over again

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was so the light would come from one place?
    Because surely if they have been denatured by the heavy metal ions... then they won't work anymore?? I could be wrong though - i didn't know i guessed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    I thought it was so the light would come from one place?
    Because surely if they have been denatured by the heavy metal ions... then they won't work anymore?? I could be wrong though - i didn't know i guessed
    There's probably several right answers.
    I said the so they could be reused thing, but I was clutching at straws!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najah)
    Bacteria r immobilised so that they could be used over and over again

thats what i put. just like immobilised enzymes in unit 1

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 28, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.