Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Questions were not too bad, though as they were both new stuff, it's hard to tell if you've actually got the marking points for them.

Both essays were surprisingly nice, I went for the uptake, transport and role of mineral ions in flowering plants. To close it all off I said some ions could be bad, negatively affecting metabolism, as could be proved in bioluminescence experiments with bacteria :P

To topic creater - Pharmacy at Bath is my insurance

ReputationRep:
    i need aroud a C in this paper and have estimated around 39 - 40/70, is this enough for a C. What type of UMS would it be. Do you guys think the boundaries will be higher than last years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BLUREMI)
    i need aroud a C in this paper and have estimated around 39 - 40/70, is this enough for a C. What type of UMS would it be. Do you guys think the boundaries will be higher than last years?
    This paper's out of 38 :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_shoe_uk)
    To topic creater - Pharmacy at Bath is my insurance
    Cooool whats your firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    This paper's out of 38 :confused:
    including coursework

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    Cooool whats your firm?
    Biological Natural Sciences at Cambridge. I'm hoping to go there most. My offer is a lot harder though (AAAA or AAA & Chemistry AEA distinction, wheras Bath is ABB), and my exams haven't been going as well as I might have hoped so far. Still.. maybe that's just because you remember the bad stuff.. *fingers crossed*. Maybe that take me if I missed the grades by a bit anyway. I'd still be fairly happy to go to Bath, it's a really nice place and great university (for Pharmacy especially).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_shoe_uk)
    Biological Natural Sciences at Cambridge. I'm hoping to go there most. My offer is a lot harder though (AAAA or AAA & Chemistry AEA distinction, wheras Bath is ABB), and my exams haven't been going as well as I might have hoped so far. Still.. maybe that's just because you remember the bad stuff.. *fingers crossed*. Maybe that take me if I missed the grades by a bit anyway. I'd still be fairly happy to go to Bath, it's a really nice place and great university (for Pharmacy especially).
    Well best of luck for Cambridge! I'm sure you will do fine!

ReputationRep:
    that was a niceeeee paper... for the carbs i only wrote everythin i thought off on human digestion and absorption in mad detail...started from mastication and finished with the colon...for control i just described insulin and glucagon in detail and saying the control of glucose levels is a negative feedback mechanism...was gonna mention hypo/hyper glycaemia but didnt have time...wrote 4 full pages in small handwriting...think everyone should have scored high for it...didn't mention carbs digestion and absorption in ruminants...didnt even think of it at the time...however i did write about bacteria present in the colon which secrete cellulase to break down cellulose to B-glucose and cellulos cannot be produced by the body...overall it was so easyyyyyyyyyy!

ReputationRep:
    huh?, humans have bacteria in their colons which digests bacteria???... cellulase containing bacteria are present in ruminants, not humans...

ReputationRep:
    as u no, i hate plants, it juss doesnt make sense to me so i did the carbs 1...hmm it didnt seem very detailed..but it was just under 3 pages long with massive righht and a couple of lines between each para
    and for the filter paper thing..i said that the light source wud come from 1 place making it easier to judge the results..n ALSO dat its a method to ensure similar numbers of the cute bacteria was used........hm

ReputationRep:
    however i did write about bacteria present in the colon which secrete cellulase to break down cellulose to B-glucose and cellulos cannot be produced by the body...overall it was so easyyyyyyyyyy!
    Have to agree with senshi here. Humans can't process cellulose at all because we don't have those symbiotic bacteria. That's why celery is "negative calories" and why eating a lot of veg *cough* keeps you regular. Because you can't digest the cellulose

And damn i think i might have forgot to use the term negative feedback. Sugar i din't even say that when BGL returns to normal the pancreas stops producing them. Damn this exam went worse than i thought

ReputationRep:
    so was the question only for human digestion and control of blood glucose (was the word human in the question)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BLUREMI)
    so was the question only for human digestion and control of blood glucose (was the word human in the question)
    Nope. It was so general, just 'the digestion and absorption of carbs and control of bloody sugar level' or something.

ReputationRep:
    I put that the bacteria were immobilised to prevent them moving away from the heavy metal ions so that they all had a kind of uniform exposure .... I really don't think that was what they were after.

ReputationRep:
    Well jcd, I pretty much put it was so that they had equal exposure too.

ReputationRep:
    I think the essay question was really hard to get balance on
    I've been thinking about this and normally it has to be balanced between units and organisms
    Well even if you put in the ruminants it's still 90% humans - and 100% mammals
    I considered plants but obviously they have no blood and they make their own carbs
    And i couldn't think of anything for microbes either
    I mean i guess i covered 3 units but it still worries me!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    The science mark is the major marking of the essay (isn't it 11/15 or something?) so as long as you put some good stuff down, no matter what unit it's from, you'll get credit.

ReputationRep:
    *shakes head sadly* if you miss out something major you lose science AND balance marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    *shakes head sadly* if you miss out something major you lose science AND balance marks
    Tbh though, they phrased the essay q pretty badly. There was no 'in animals/in humans/in mammals' or anything. Silly edexcel!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    I think the essay question was really hard to get balance on
    I've been thinking about this and normally it has to be balanced between units and organisms
    Well even if you put in the ruminants it's still 90% humans - and 100% mammals
    I considered plants but obviously they have no blood and they make their own carbs
    And i couldn't think of anything for microbes either
    I mean i guess i covered 3 units but it still worries me!! :eek:
    Did they actually say that the organism had to have blood in the question?

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.