Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    no they didnt, but do organinsms without blood absorb glucose?

The hardest question for me was the one on role of surface membrance when protiens bind to it

and changing the investigation to test something from the water??

How about you lot, what u lot write?

ReputationRep:
    I didnt mentions bacteria in cows and stuff, damn, if forogt that stuff! and why are enzymes immbolised?

I forgot everything once i sat down!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Have to agree with senshi here. Humans can't process cellulose at all because we don't have those symbiotic bacteria. That's why celery is "negative calories" and why eating a lot of veg *cough* keeps you regular. Because you can't digest the cellulose

And damn i think i might have forgot to use the term negative feedback. Sugar i din't even say that when BGL returns to normal the pancreas stops producing them. Damn this exam went worse than i thought
    i said humans dont have cellulase but we have bacteria in the colon which break down carbs... I have proof...if u got the advanced biology book by Nelson (its a fat book)...turn to page 191...read the last paragraph...its exact words say:
    'Bacteria are present in the human colon but until recently their fermenting activity was considered to be insignificant. However, it is now thought that the action of these bacteria on carbohydrate in the colon can contribute to as much as 10 per cent of our energy requirements.'

TOLD U!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicgate)
    how do you test the river water?

i said that if heavy metals were present, then there would be less activity/bioluminescence. HOWever, how can we be sure this this is the case, considering all we had as data was heavy metals ie: they were not compared to anything else like pure water. ...

i therefore mentioned that we would have to compare it with pure water, but am unsure ...
    yeah i said that the pure water would be the control experiment or standard 2 compare the polluted water sample to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammi_k)
    yeah i said that the pure water would be the control experiment or standard 2 compare the polluted water sample to.
    oh damn i forgot to put the control...but i did put down the lower the duration of the photobacteria emmiting light...the lower their metabolism...therefore the more toxic the water is...somethin like dat...i think that would be 2 marks

ReputationRep:
    I said measure the amount of co2 emitted as bacteria tend to try and break down metals in the water, so metabolism becomes high and as they respire to use more oxygen they release co2??

measuring the BOD of the water perhaps?? or am i way off the mark? that Q was 4 marks!!! Fingers Crossed!xx

ReputationRep:
    For the river Q this is what I did ( if your interested - just a lot being said )

I said to take samples of the river water, several for more reliable results

Put the same vol of water in dif containers

Add one of those discs with the bacterium things

As before dark every half hour check

See how long it takes for it too stop light blah blah blah and use tables to find indication of conc^ and metal blah blah blah

I also said there immobilised so that the bacterium were 'controable' kept in a specific place for easier observation of light emmision or something

ReputationRep:
    Did they actually say that the organism had to have blood in the question?
    Well they didn't for the first bit, which is why i thought about plants in the first place, but the second part said (unless i'm mistaken) the control of sugar levels in the blood...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DmAsTeR)
    i said humans dont have cellulase but we have bacteria in the colon which break down carbs... I have proof...if u got the advanced biology book by Nelson (its a fat book)...turn to page 191...read the last paragraph...its exact words say:
    'Bacteria are present in the human colon but until recently their fermenting activity was considered to be insignificant. However, it is now thought that the action of these bacteria on carbohydrate in the colon can contribute to as much as 10 per cent of our energy requirements.'

TOLD U!!!!
    Hehe fair enough then
    I do have the big purple book (think that's what you mean) but i'm at my Dad's so i can't check
    But i'll trust you
    Kinda got used to people getting the two confused so i apologise profusely for believing you'd got yourself in a tangle
    Are you sure that the bacteria break down cellulase though? It just seems a bit bizaare... but i guess it would make sense as otherwise how would we derive any nutritional value from veggies? That said I guess HCl would help to hydrolyse the glycosidic bonds, and if we had pectinase that would pull the wall apart, even though the cellulose would remain in tact.
    Hmmm i feel a research project coming on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutron)
    blood glucose levels in the blood are detected by islets cells in the pancreas; no nervous coordination is involved in the pancreatic response
    I thought it was the osmoreceptors in the hypothalamus that detected a change in glucose concentration? Perhaps i'm wrong :-S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by islasmila)
    I thought it was the osmoreceptors in the hypothalamus that detected a change in glucose concentration? Perhaps i'm wrong :-S
    Its the islet cells in the pancreas that detect blood sugar levels, osmoreceptors are to do with ADH.

ReputationRep:
    Yep Ellie's definitely right

Because I've been told until my ears are exploding that candidates always get it wrong and say the hypothalamus detects BSL when it's the one exception...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Yep Ellie's definitely right

Because I've been told until my ears are exploding that candidates always get it wrong and say the hypothalamus detects BSL when it's the one exception...
    Ah well, not to worry. My aim in biology is just to pass it, i only just managed an E at AS. I mentioned both of those so perhaps i got it partially right. Thanks for correcting me though lol!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 28, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.