The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yeh gaz your majorly helpful. i guess i could be termed as the most-ignorant-P6-student-who-asks-the-most-questions - do I get a prize for that?
Reply 21
Gaz031
Definitely! Before the exam I had almost decided to read what the essay questions were before i started section A, but once I started the first question I just proceeded through in logical order as most of it was relatively straightforward. Did you do the 'negative feedback' essay?

I don't do the same exam board as you... i do Edexcel biology (just happened to be on the same day!!!) I read the essay titles and thankfully i had the perfect one

my essay title was:

describe the digestion and absorption of carbs and how blood sugar levels are maintained in the body

it was great!

I hope I got my A in bio as perhaps Warwick will let me in with AAABB if i miss the AEA (the Bs are in ICT and general studies, not sure if Warwick will accept the B in ICT to fulfill the AABb offer).

I don't understand... someone i know who got an offer for maths at warwick got an offer of either getting an A in further maths or by getting some grade in a 'step' paper (at least that's what i think it's called). As you are a mathmatical genius you'll have no problem getting a in further maths so you will get in!!!

I don't think I could do Biology, Chemistry or Physics at university, perhaps with the exception of experimental physics. This is mainly because i'm too tempted to make my results up to give better conclusions after i've messed up the practical!

I agree about the physics (not really surprising considering the whole :battle: thing, lol). I'm not doing bio or chem at uni but i wouldnt like to do that... i really hope medicine is the perfect course cuz all this work i've put into get the grades and getting in would be useless otherwise!
Reply 22
Revenged
I don't do the same exam board as you... i do Edexcel biology (just happened to be on the same day!!!) I read the essay titles and thankfully i had the perfect one
my essay title was:
describe the digestion and absorption of carbs and how blood sugar levels are maintained in the body
it was great!

Sounds good but probably hard to draw concepts from as many different modules as possible in, but as you do a different syllabus you'll obviously know more about it.

I don't understand... someone i know who got an offer for maths at warwick got an offer of either getting an A in further maths or by getting some grade in a 'step' paper (at least that's what i think it's called).

Hmm. The standard offer is as in my signature. Perhaps when your friend applied he already had some grades (obviously he must have also had at least maths)? Universities very rarely let people in with less than three A-Levels.

I agree about the physics (not really surprising considering the whole :battle: thing, lol). I'm not doing bio or chem at uni but i wouldnt like to do that... i really hope medicine is the perfect course cuz all this work i've put into get the grades and getting in would be useless otherwise!

By the sheer number of people applying for medicine per place I don't think so many people can be wrong in deciding that it's the course for them :smile:
Reply 23
the digestion and absorption of carbs is unit 2 whereas insulin/glucagon is unit 4 so was really easy to link

you misunderstood me (my fault really i didnt explain it very well... you said that you needed to get something to do with an AEA - is that what step is???

Anyways, he got an offer of either AABb where one A has to be further maths or AABb and a certain grade in the step paper (don't really know anything about this exam but i think you get a number as a grade rather than a letter)... so he doesnt need both. Cuz your amazing at maths you'll get an A in further maths so i can't see you not getting in...

Hopefully uni will be great but i'm a bit worried about the work load
Reply 24
Revenged
the digestion and absorption of carbs is unit 2 whereas insulin/glucagon is unit 4 so was really easy to link

Gotcha but i've just thrown out my printed copy of the AQA B specification now :smile:

you misunderstood... you said that you needed to get something to do with an AEA - is that what step is???

AEA and Step are similar but not the same. I won't go into detail but they they'll accept a Merit in the AEA or a grade 2 in STEP, so I guess they are very approximately similar.

Cuz your amazing at maths you'll get an A in further maths so i can't see you not getting in...

I'm only amazing at this 'on rails' A-Level stuff. I haven't really tried my hand at anything else yet.

Hopefully uni will be great but i'm a bit worried about the work load

I'm sure the work load won't be too bad but at the same time i'd be annoyed if I wasn't being pushed and didn't have enough work to do (hope that doesn't sound too sad :rolleyes: )
Reply 25
Revenged
I personally think anyone who wants to do physics should be shot... preferably with a laser as shown below

:battle:

physicists can typically be spotted by their characteristic red hair... as this is a clear 'danger i'm a maniac' sign... so beware!!!

the only thing that doing physics has done to me is make me hate the subject... anywayz... i should really post this in the physics forum!!! lol!

Edit: I'm so tempted!!!

oiii :albertein :fight: :y: :motz:

Edit: i do NOT have red hair :p: :rolleyes:
Reply 26
not sure if Warwick will accept the B in ICT to fulfill the AABb offer).

Of course they'd accept a B in ICT!!! It's an A-level or counts as one, so don't worry about that, it's only further maths that they'd care about.

i dont think it's sad what your saying... the hardest things that make you think and work harder mean that you feel that you achieved more in doing it. If things were too easy firstly you'd never be bothered to do anything and secondly you wouldnt feel that you've achieved very much doing it... that's why p3 was the best module.

Saying that though, it does sound very good in past tense!
Reply 27
hajira
oiii :albertein :fight: :y: :motz:

Edit: i do NOT have red hair :p: :rolleyes:

You know what they say about people who have red hair... they say they are very bad liars
Reply 28
Revenged
Of course they'd accept a B in ICT!!! It's an A-level or counts as one, so don't worry about that, it's only further maths that they'd care about.

Hopefully. Looking back on it though I don't consider it to be an A-Level on par with some of the others. It was more like a crash course in using Microsoft Office :rolleyes:

i dont think it's sad what your saying... the hardest things that make you think and work harder mean that you feel that you achieved more in doing it. If things were too easy firstly you'd never be bothered to do anything and secondly you wouldnt feel that you've achieved very much doing it... that's why p3 was the best module.

Agreed, but with P5.

Saying that though, it does sound very good in past tense!

It sounds pretty much infinitely better in past tense. I don't imagine the above paragraph would apply in any way,shape or form if you were chewing pens/pencils to bits over something that you have the exam for the next day.
Reply 29
Revenged
You know what they say about people who have red hair... they say they are very bad liars

haha :p:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1757376&postcount=10

:cool:
Reply 30
Gaz031
It sounds pretty much infinitely better in past tense. I don't imagine the above paragraph would apply in any way,shape or form if you were chewing pens/pencils to bits over something that you have the exam for the next day.

lol, very true yeah... but your going to do maths which is about as frustating as it gets! that's why i dont want to have a load of stress to pass uni exams and stuff (because everyone keeps going on about how 'easy' a-levels are when they are only easy because of AS levels splitting the work load in the second year in half). Saying that... i know i'm going to enjoy this summer holidays without giving uni a second thought
Reply 31
that photo firstly is in black and white

secondly, it could be anyone!!!

anyone that is a girl that is so that's only really 50% (maths is very useful you see unlike physics)... still doesnt narrow things down much

(getting the laser as we speak!)

Reply 32
Revenged

anyone that is a girl that is so that's only really 50% (maths is very useful you see unlike physics)... still doesnt narrow things down much

well, don't say physics that bad. If we don't have physics or other siences, what Maths is for?
Reply 33
maths is for life not just for christmas, lol
Reply 34
Revenged

hey hey hey
its me...
*hides behind the bush* :p:

anyway cant say anything against maths, its my major..physics only comes second to it :biggrin: ..but it rocks in itself!
Reply 35
byee byee maths :ciao: *cries*
Reply 36
Revenged
maths is for life not just for christmas, lol

Which raises the question: who gives maths for Christmas? :confused:
Reply 37
RichE
Which raises the question: who gives maths for Christmas? :confused:

i bet your crew have some seasonal reading for us:wink:
BCHL85
well, don't say physics that bad. If we don't have physics or other siences, what Maths is for?

Physics is TERRIBLE!
Reply 39
lesser weevil
Physics is TERRIBLE!

hmmm....i'm planning to do the physics whole A2 level next year outside of school (ie by myself). seems not too many ppl like physics....STOP planting seeds of doubt! :p:

Latest