Turn on thread page Beta

AQA (A) Unit 8/9 SYNOPTIC Biology/Human Biology After Exam Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find it?

ReputationRep:
    it was alright.
    what essay did you lot choose and what did you say?

ReputationRep:
    ****ing difficult. I wouldnt be suprised if i got a U. My essay was only one page long, couldnt think of much to write at all and i guessed most of the answers to the questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherc2005)
    it was alright.
    what essay did you lot choose and what did you say?
    i did the bacteria as it was a qn in the past paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ky1986)
    i did the bacteria as it was a qn in the past paper.
    what main points did you write about. i.e. what were each of your paragraphs about?

ReputationRep:
    Awesome essay question (bacteria) the rest of it...soso...probably got about half marks on the questions if im lucky.

In the essay i wrote about...
    Ruminants
    Plasmids (reference to production of human insulin)
    Fermenters (synthesis of enzymes)
    Penicillin
    Nitrogen Cycle
    Carbon Cycle

And i thinkkk that was it!
    How did everyone else find it?

ReputationRep:
    what main points did you write about. i.e. what were each of your paragraphs about?
    i talked about ruminant digestion: how bacteria in the rumen convert non nitrogen protein into protein. then how the bacteria digested and absorded by the ruminant for cell growth. then humans consume tissues of cows for meat which is rich in protein.

eutrophication: how bacteria in the river decompose the dead algae and use up the oxygen in respiration so kill fish

genetic engineering used for insulin production to contron diabetes in humans. bacteria plasmids are used as vectors in this process. they are good for this cos they divide by mitosos rapidly so have high turnover rate

nitrogen fixing and nitrifying bacteria: make available nitrates for plants for leaf growth. humans and other organism consume plant as food. plant are producers so allow food chains and food webs to continue

thats the major points i think

ReputationRep:
    i had to ask for more paper they hardly give u anything to write on!!

ReputationRep:
    Essay was ok (inorganic ions one) but hated question 1. Luckily I already have 390 ums marks before unit 7 and 9

ReputationRep:
    i talked about ruminant digestion: how bacteria in the rumen convert non nitrogen protein into protein. then how the bacteria digested and absorded by the ruminant for cell growth. then humans consume tissues of cows for meat which is rich in protein.

eutrophication: how bacteria in the river decompose the dead algae and use up the oxygen in respiration so kill fish

genetic engineering used for insulin production to contron diabetes in humans. bacteria plasmids are used as vectors in this process. they are good for this cos they divide by mitosos rapidly so have high turnover rate

nitrogen fixing and nitrifying bacteria: make available nitrates for plants for leaf growth. humans and other organism consume plant as food. plant are producers so allow food chains and food webs to continue

i wrote basically the same as you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat_r)
    i wrote basically the same as you

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I hated that paper, so did most my year. I just really didn't like the essay questions. I did the ions one but there seemed to be so little breadth I think nearly all my points came from the A2 modules
    Hopefully should have at least 410 UMS before doing modules 6 and 8 which will hopefully save my uni offer

ReputationRep:

i wrote all of this
    aswell as penicillin
    i think briefly mentioned enzyme technology but i dont know if this is correct?
    did anyone talk about bacteria are prokaryotes

ReputationRep:
    first 2 questions were ******** 2 b honest. found them really hard lol doubt ill get 10 marks between the 2 questions. but the essay wasnt 2 bad, i did the ion one cos i hadnt looked at the bacteria one in the past paper properly.
    wot did u lot write bout? ( those that did the ion essay) i did the fllowing:

sodium in neurons stuff eg action potentials.
    then sodium pumped outa loop of henle for water reabsorbtion
    ATP respiration and photosynthesis, like the h+ ions n stuff that are used to make the reduced co enzymes etc.
    ion uptake in plants to make the WP decrease so more ions can b taken in
    nitrate ions for protien in plants
    H+ and hydrogencarbonate ions with haemoglobin stuff.
    that was it i think... didnt feel too happy about it tho cos i didnt write loads like some people did. i managed to get it all in the paper. hope i gave enough detail.

ReputationRep:
    i wrote all of this
    aswell as penicillin
    i think briefly mentioned enzyme technology but i dont know if this is correct?
    did anyone talk about bacteria are prokaryotes
    I wrote mostly the same. I also included about bacteria as prokaryotes, but only as one line in the intro. Yes, enzyme technology is correct as bacteria produce the enzyme.

I also wrote about succession, how in the beginnings of succession bacteria decompose dead matter changing the soil conditions. I mentioned also about immunology, how dead bacterial cells are injected into a human and so on.

The first section was quite challenging, what did every one put for why amino acids can't be used in measuring volume of water?

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eltombarno52)
    I wrote mostly the same. I also included about bacteria as prokaryotes, but only as one line in the intro. Yes, enzyme technology is correct as bacteria produce the enzyme.

I also wrote about succession, how in the beginnings of succession bacteria decompose dead matter changing the soil conditions. I mentioned also about immunology, how dead bacterial cells are injected into a human and so on.

The first section was quite challenging, what did every one put for why amino acids can't be used in measuring volume of water?

Tom
    yep, in addition to the above i too wrote a small bit about prokaryotes, and sucession, and ezyme tech. hopefully they will give me a good mark.

ReputationRep:
    ATP respiration and photosynthesis, like the h+ ions n stuff that are used to make the reduced co enzymes etc.
    Yeah i did all that aswell in addition i talked about synapses and calcium ions - personally i thought the essay was an absolute gift (it was the only one id revised) and the questions werent to bad in comparison to the rest. Most people at my school claimed it was easy, personally not sure about that! But it was certainly better than years previous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeyguru)
    that was it i think... didnt feel too happy about it tho cos i didnt write loads like some people did. i managed to get it all in the paper. hope i gave enough detail.
    Yeh I included most of that and a bit about chloride shift, Synaptic transmission, blanced diet for teeth/bones, stomatal opening/closing
    I took a bit of a stab in the dark and said most large proteins and hormones contain some inorganic ions this may be wrong any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    first 2 questions were ******** 2 b honest. found them really hard lol doubt ill get 10 marks between the 2 questions. but the essay wasnt 2 bad, i did the ion one cos i hadnt looked at the bacteria one in the past paper properly.

As well as:

Na+ ions in coupling with amino acids and glucose in small intestine
    Fe2+ in haemoglobin (linked with H+ bohr stuff)
    Guard cells in plants with K+ activation in blue light
    Mg2+ in chlorophyll
    Synapses as you say. pacinian corps. Na+
    Rod cells hyperpolarisation
    Ca2+ at synapse
    Phospate in organic bases
    Cl- shift

ReputationRep:

i did most of that, just forgot the loop of henle stuff! :/ i also wrote about the potassium-movement hypothesis in regulating the opening/closing of stomata.

hmm so all in all, nowhere near as bad as i was expecting.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.