Turn on thread page Beta

AQA (A) Unit 8/9 SYNOPTIC Biology/Human Biology After Exam Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    Cant believe how much there was for the inorganic ions question - a gift imo.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote about the loop of henle and then went on about the convoluted tubule instead of collecting duct damn damn damn. How many marks will i lose for that??!! :confused:

I panicked when i first saw the questions but it came to me in the end lol.

Not sure about the first two questions though?!

Whyd do u need to record the dry mass??!!!
    And what is the venous pathway????

ReputationRep:
    Question A was a beaut.

Did about:
    how inorganic ions cant be made by body so must be got from diet.
    phosphate in phospholipid bi-layer
    Na+ K+ in nervous transmission
    Ca+ in synapses
    Na+ in cotransport of molecules
    Mg2+ in chlorophyll
    Fe2+ in haemoglobin
    CO2 producing acidic H+ leads to releae of more O2 and Haemoglobin as a buffer - cl- shift:
    CO2 + H2O --> H+ + HCO3- and HbO2 + H+ --> HbH+ + O2
    Hydrogen Phosophate ions as a buffer - homeostasis
    HP042- + H+ --> H2PO4-
    H+ in light dependent photosynethesis, photolysis NADP+ + H+ + 2e- --> NADPH etc.
    Phosphorus in ATP
    Sulphur - disulphide bonds
    Na+ in water regulation in kidneys, Related to conditions and diet.
    Pottassium for muscle contractions - hypokalemia - diet
    About chemiosynthesis in deep sea vent bacteria - hydrogen sulfide - ecosystem, food chain etc..

Really enjoyed that actually.

ReputationRep:
    you wont lose marks lol.

dry mass means no water
    venous is a way avoiding the digestion system hence the hydrolytic enzymes and the extreme ph so antigen kept its shape when it arrived at heart muscle

ReputationRep:
    How did people draw the graph for iron? They didn't give us very much information and it was worth two marks which kinda threw me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Looontag)
    Otherwise the ammount of water will give a disproporional reading for the mass

Put that the toxin will not enter stomach so wont be affected by HCl wont enter duodenum so wont be affected by digestive secretions. As goes straight into blood from buccal cavity. May bypass liver which is important in toxin removal from blood, before it gets to target organ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)
    How did people draw the graph for iron? They didn't give us very much information and it was worth two marks which kinda threw me
    Did a 'U' shape extending from above the 'average' line to below it and then back above it.

ReputationRep:
    I think Dry Mass is better than Fresh Mass as the Fresh Mass = Dry Mass + water, so therefore the amount of water in an organism is variable.

I believe they were talking about venous pathway in the actual text, as I think the venous pathway is when the poison is absorbed into the bloodstream from the buccal cavity.

I'm actually quite happy about that essay today. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I did the second essay on bacteria. I talked about all the same things as ky1986, but I missed out the bit about eutrophication. I well annoyed about that, because I should have known that!

Also I realised that when I describing Nitrogen Fixation, I got the little diagram wrong! That's really bugging me now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluent in Lies)
    Did a 'U' shape extending from above the 'average' line to below it and then back above it.
    Mmm .... I just drew a straight line from the origin.

Why would the Iron be toxic at low concentrations?

ReputationRep:
    Yay!! I put no water but I aint gona say what I put for the venous one lol :p:

I did a U shape on the graph but didnt put it above the line at the start dammit. Maybe il get one mark.

What about the 2 functions of lipids, why the percentage amounts of the carb/protein/lipids would change if didnt eat and why there was little carb in the heart and lots in the liver????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junners)

not toxic, harmful. poor iron levels leads to anaemia.

ReputationRep:

I did that too, only the gradient got steeper at high conc.
    However I think he is right. It will be dangerous at low concentrations as there is not enough, then safe in middle, and dangerous again at high concentrations.
    Might get 1 mark if i'm lucky

ReputationRep:

I did a U shape on the graph but didnt put it above the line at the start dammit. Maybe il get one mark.

What about the 2 functions of lipids, why the percentage amounts of the carb/protein/lipids would change if didnt eat and why there was little carb in the heart and lots in the liver????

for 2 functions i did respiratory substrate and glycolipids in plasma membranes for receptors.

little carb in liver as it is hydrolysed to glucose to maintain glucose levels.

Fasting means no protein/carb/fat intake so carbos in liver are broken down when glucagon is secreted. for proteins less deamination?

ReputationRep:

For functions of lipids I said phospholipid bilayer and as a source of energy
    I said there was more carbohydrate in liver as this is where mamals store glucose in the form of glygogen and so there should be higher % here when it is converted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinny221)
    not toxic, harmful. poor iron levels leads to anaemia.
    Ah right ... I really should read questions more properly ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)
    For functions of lipids I said phospholipid bilayer and as a source of energy
    I said there was more carbohydrate in liver as this is where mamals store glucose in the form of glygogen and so there should be higher % here when it is converted
    same

ReputationRep:
    Ah right ... I really should read questions more properly ...
    Yea, I got it wrong too

ReputationRep:
    I put respiratory substrate but then put fats protect the heart from damage =oS couldn't think of anything else lol.

i put the liver was a store of carbohydrates. didnt write about glycagen

And for the other part of that i said carbs were used in resp so percentage would decrease. lipids were converted to glucose cuz blood glucose levels wud be low and so percentage would decrease and then i said the level of proteins wud be the same and so the percentage wud increase to overcome loss of percentage in other two.

I just guessed most of the questions lol. I always know the answers just never put them down grr.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the amount of Carbohydrates would maybe increase as more glygogen is coverted to glucose to cope with the increased demand for respiration. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    wot do people think the ums for an A will be

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.