Turn on thread page Beta

AQA (A) Unit 8/9 SYNOPTIC Biology/Human Biology After Exam Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose it was in the liver so ur probably right. I was just thinking along the lines of it not being replaced but I dunno. Not looking forward to August

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Looontag)
    Well I suppose it was in the liver so ur probably right. I was just thinking along the lines of it not being replaced but I dunno. Not looking forward to August
    I dunno it could be either, and knowing AQA it could also be neither :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)
    I thought the amount of Carbohydrates would maybe increase as more glygogen is coverted to glucose to cope with the increased demand for respiration. :confused:
    ye but the converted glucose will be respired so the concentration will decrease

ReputationRep:
    The only question I think I know I got right (that i can think of right now) was the one where it said how would you find the chlorphyll conc at sum level of phosphorus or sumthing lol.

Would chlorphyll levels increase with phophorus due to more plantlife???

And in the question after was it bacteria would increase and oxygen conc. would decrease??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ky1986)
    ye but the converted glucose will be respired so the concentration will decrease
    But is the extra glucose not to account for this and so effectively there is no real change. I thought it should stay level but they said it changed.

ReputationRep:
    It was talking about percentage change wasn't it??!!!

So technically it could have stayed level and the percentages could have increased/decreased according to what happened to lipids and protein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinny221)
    As well as:

Na+ ions in coupling with amino acids and glucose in small intestine
    Fe2+ in haemoglobin (linked with H+ bohr stuff)
    Guard cells in plants with K+ activation in blue light
    Mg2+ in chlorophyll
    Synapses as you say. pacinian corps. Na+
    Rod cells hyperpolarisation
    Ca2+ at synapse
    Phospate in organic bases
    Cl- shift
    **** left loadsa stuff out then. wow i probly failed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Looontag)
    The only question I think I know I got right (that i can think of right now) was the one where it said how would you find the chlorphyll conc at sum level of phosphorus or sumthing lol.

Would chlorphyll levels increase with phophorus due to more plantlife???

And in the question after was it bacteria would increase and oxygen conc. would decrease??
    i sed oxygen concentration will increase at first cos of increased photosynthesis then decrease cos the bacteria will grow and use up the oxygen........ so yes o2 decrease and bacteria increase (god i just write everything in a long winded way lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeyguru)
    first 2 questions were ******** 2 b honest. found them really hard lol doubt ill get 10 marks between the 2 questions. but the essay wasnt 2 bad, i did the ion one cos i hadnt looked at the bacteria one in the past paper properly.
    wot did u lot write bout? ( those that did the ion essay) i did the fllowing:

sodium in neurons stuff eg action potentials.
    then sodium pumped outa loop of henle for water reabsorbtion
    ATP respiration and photosynthesis, like the h+ ions n stuff that are used to make the reduced co enzymes etc.
    ion uptake in plants to make the WP decrease so more ions can b taken in
    nitrate ions for protien in plants
    H+ and hydrogencarbonate ions with haemoglobin stuff.
    that was it i think... didnt feel too happy about it tho cos i didnt write loads like some people did. i managed to get it all in the paper. hope i gave enough detail.
    I wrote 4 pages!

Hydrogen - I wrote the same as you but also about water and hydrogen bonding in proteins causing alpha helixes, beta sheets, and the tertiary globular structure leading onto enzymes. Put some stuff in about oxygen, notrogen and fluoride ions being necessary for the hydrogen bonds.

Sodium - action potentials (not very well explained though) and something else I can't remember.

Phosphate - ATP in photosynthesis, respiration, and active transport, also in phospholipids as part of the plasma membrane and as insulation.

ReputationRep:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wot do people think the ums for an A will be
    higher than usual maybe 95/120 for an A

ReputationRep:
    why that high?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherc2005)
    why that high?
    It can't be that high, it was not an easy paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ky1986)
    i sed oxygen concentration will increase at first cos of increased photosynthesis then decrease cos the bacteria will grow and use up the oxygen........ so yes o2 decrease and bacteria increase (god i just write everything in a long winded way lol)
    Wasn't it a two mark question though? I would have thought that saying that "the oxygen increases due to increases photosynthesis, and then the bacteria numbers increase due to better conditions for growth, as there is more oxygen for respiration" would have been sufficient without going on ... then again, I always find these mark schemes really weird!

(Original post by Redeyejedi)
    higher than usual maybe 95/120 for an A
    Isn't the total UMS for this paper 60 anyway? In previous years, it (the UMS for an A) has been around 40/60 and it hasn't deviated too much from that, so my guess is that it will be around that.

ReputationRep:
    It can't be that high, it was not an easy paper!
    It was i felt easier than normal - i mean did you do the past paper on the egg know that was hard.

Isn't the total UMS for this paper 60 anyway? In previous years, it the UMS for an A has been around 40/60 and it hasn't deviated too much from that, so my guess is that it will be around that.
    60 for coursework and 60 for the exam. I cant see it being below 90/120 though and im not saying its easy either just many people will have found it easy.

ReputationRep:
    rofl. at whoever neg-repped me for being "annoying"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redeyejedi)
    It was i felt easier than normal - i mean did you do the past paper on the egg know that was hard.
    Our teacherstried to keep the synoptic from us, the only reason we were shown a paper was because we didn;t shut up about it. Poor teachers didn't want to scare us! It was easier than I thought today but the questions were a bit random!

ReputationRep:
    I chose the ion one - was very good, but I've just realised I missed out the phosphates in membranes !! I wrote about:
    • Cystic Fibrosis (intro)
    • Neurones, resting potentials and action potentials
    • Brief thing about calcium in muscles
    • Impulses from the SAN in the heart caused by the movement of ions
    • Blood clotting (Ca ions)
    • Haemoglobin, iron, the chloride shift, H+
    • Use of Na+ to help absorb glucose and amino acids in stomach
    • Na+ and Cl- helping regulate water in small intestine, oral rehydration therapy
    • The importance of ATP
    • Light-dependent reactaions (magnesium)
    • Oxidative phosphorylation (not much detail, just in a bracket)
    • Nitrate ions
    • Brief thing about opening and closing of stomata
    • Small thing about phosphate being present in DNA (nearly forgot about that !!)
    • One sentence about fluorides necessary for bone and teeth structur

ReputationRep:
    Cystic Fibrosis (intro)
    Neurones, resting potentials and action potentials
    Brief thing about calcium in muscles
    Impulses from the SAN in the heart caused by the movement of ions
    Blood clotting (Ca ions)
    Haemoglobin, iron, the chloride shift, H+
    Use of Na+ to help absorb glucose and amino acids in stomach
    Na+ and Cl- helping regulate water in small intestine, oral rehydration therapy
    The importance of ATP
    Light-dependent reactaions (magnesium)
    Oxidative phosphorylation (not much detail, just in a bracket)
    Nitrate ions
    Brief thing about opening and closing of stomata
    Small thing about phosphate being present in DNA (nearly forgot about that !!)
    One sentence about fluorides necessary for bone and teeth structur
    Hardcore

ReputationRep:
    Will they give marks for extra-curricular stuff? Or do they only mark according to the syllabus?

ReputationRep:
    yeah - i read a sample essay on Aquaporins which are not strictly on the syllabus and the person who wrote it got 3/3 for breadth totally due to the fact he mentioned something off the syllabus.

Have you heard of the piles marking system for synoptic essays. It might scare you if i told you it sure as F**K scared me.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.