Turn on thread page Beta

AQA (A) Unit 8/9 SYNOPTIC Biology/Human Biology After Exam Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redeyejedi)
    yeah - i read a sample essay on Aquaporins which are not strictly on the syllabus and the person who wrote it got 3/3 for breadth totally due to the fact he mentioned something off the syllabus.

Have you heard of the piles marking system for synoptic essays. It might scare you if i told you it sure as F**K scared me.
    Tell us !

ReputationRep:
    Ums for past synoptic papers for an A

jan 05- 67%
    jun 04- 63%
    june03- 67%
    june 02-72%

ReputationRep:
    Tell us !
    Well this could just be my sadistic teacher scaring us into work (yes shes evil - she once ignored me for a two week treating me as an invalid for getting 72/90 in module 6 :confused: ) and she has primed us for being synoptic exam-taking machines (not very good machines - ones which often break down in exams in uncontrollable sobs 24/06/05), but her last words to us before the exam (i told you she was evil :evil:) were:

Remember the examiners will give your essay an initial mark by scanning it briefly at a random passage. Then they get put each essay in piles depending on their cursory glance of the essay and assessment from just 10 seconds reading. You cant move groups so once your in a group thats it. The group were very crap, crap and mediocre (apparently synoptic essays by us mere students are generally dire). Once in a group you get marked within that catagory, regardless of whether the examiners first impression was correct or not, so your essay could be good in all sections but rubbish in the bit your examiner read initially, and well thats it say hi to less than deserved marks in your essay.

My teacher claims to be in the know as she was a senior examiner for AQA Biology but then it could be a scare tactic .

Anyway hope your essay went well

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like utter tosh to me to be honest! One of our biology teachers used to be a marker, attends all the meetings about exams etc and knows exactly what marks are given for etc. She knows her stuff and from what she's told us examiners for AQA Biology are pretty generous compared to what you'd imagine. What i've seen in biology exams so far hasn't convinced me otherwise either.

If you wrote a decent essay, included a handful of different topics, structured it well, was mildly relevent - you'll get a very decent mark - no need to panic !

ReputationRep:
    pile of crap that is! The markschemes are up on the website (i think) if not we saw one in school once n ata mark a paper.....it really isnt that bad aslong as you have chosen from the sylabus, and everything is correct and has sturcture, u shud get atleast 20.

I thought the paper was really great. Easiest paper out the whole of biology i would think. The essay was a gift (i did the ion one) there was just so much to write about. I talked about:
    Respiration, photosynthesis, water potentials in xylem, kidneys, phosphate used for plant growth, Action potentials, DNA (phosphate), iron in haemoglobin, hydrogen ions affecting pH levels and therefore enzyme activity, and phospholipid bilayers.

I wrote 3 n half pages.

Section A was nice too, nothing too taxing. I put that uses of lipids in heart was Protection, and lipid bilayer. I put the concentration of protien and lipid would fall do to gluconeogenesis, and the glucose concentration would increase due to the same reason, but also due to the formation of glucose from glycogen (glycogenolysis).

I drew an upward curve for the graph of iron thing, duno if it is correct though. I think i agree with the u shape now!

ReputationRep:
    Well this could just be my sadistic teacher scaring us into work (yes shes evil - she once ignored me for a two week treating me as an invalid for getting 72/90 in module 6 :confused: ) and she has primed us for being synoptic exam-taking machines (not very good machines - ones which often break down in exams in uncontrollable sobs 24/06/05), but her last words to us before the exam (i told you she was evil :evil:) were:

Remember the examiners will give your essay an initial mark by scanning it briefly at a random passage. Then they get put each essay in piles depending on their cursory glance of the essay and assessment from just 10 seconds reading. You cant move groups so once your in a group thats it. The group were very crap, crap and mediocre (apparently synoptic essays by us mere students are generally dire). Once in a group you get marked within that catagory, regardless of whether the examiners first impression was correct or not, so your essay could be good in all sections but rubbish in the bit your examiner read initially, and well thats it say hi to less than deserved marks in your essay.

My teacher claims to be in the know as she was a senior examiner for AQA Biology but then it could be a scare tactic .

Anyway hope your essay went well
    rofl at least you have a teacher. We havent had one since before christmas.

ReputationRep:
    any 1 no watthe UMS needed overall is for B in biology...out of 600

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liverpool)
    any 1 no watthe UMS needed overall is for B in biology...out of 600
    420 for B

ReputationRep:
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    Didn't understand dilution test. How does protein relate to total vol of water in blood?

ReputationRep:
    the protein is to large to be absorbed from the blood into surrounding epithelial cells so remains constant throughout the test, whereas amino acids can be absorbed from the blood into surrounding cells from the blood because its a monomer and can thus move in by coupled diffusion, whereas Protein = Polymers are too large to be adsorbed.

At least thats what i put.

ReputationRep:
    right... and I was on about condensation reactions and water HAHA... o h d e a r ! !

I feel the examiner is going to have a right old laugh at some of my answers!!!

ReputationRep:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

right... and I was on about condensation reactions and water HAHA... o h d e a r ! !

I feel the examiner is going to have a right old laugh at some of my answers!!!
    Doesnt mean im right my answer could have been very very wrong as with the rest of my paper

ReputationRep:
    I only wrote a little about Penicillin in the bacteria essay as the title seemed to rule out any association with disease.

ReputationRep:
    the protein is to large to be absorbed from the blood into surrounding epithelial cells so remains constant throughout the test...
    Yes thanks I got the right answer then but I meant I didn't understand how you could measure total volume of water using protein. It wasn't a question on the paper, just a general query.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Looontag]right... and I was on about condensation reactions and water HAHA... o h d e a r ! !

[QUOTE]

Same as lol!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I did the bacteria question, but how come none of you seem to have written about the effects that like specific bacteria cause? I wrote about Mycobacterium Tuberculosis and Salmonellosis as examples as well as bacteria causing diarrhea and effects of bacteria's respiration in lactose intolerant people. Was it wrong to do this?

I did positive effects of bacteria as well and wrote about their use in gene technology. Was there a reason why no1 else seems to have written specifics? 'm worried now....

ReputationRep:
    the protein is to large to be absorbed from the blood into surrounding epithelial cells so remains constant throughout the test, whereas amino acids can be absorbed from the blood into surrounding cells from the blood because its a monomer and can thus move in by coupled diffusion, whereas Protein = Polymers are too large to be adsorbed.
    I wrote about deamination for this, about how amino acids would have been broken down by the liver. Therefore the concentration of amino acids does not remain constant, whereas the proteins are not broken down by the liver as that only affects amino acids, so the concentration of proteins remains constant. However, I think this might be wrong, now looking at it in retrospect.

(Original post by animaluvva)
    Hey, I did the bacteria question, but how come none of you seem to have written about the effects that like specific bacteria cause? I wrote about Mycobacterium Tuberculosis and Salmonellosis as examples as well as bacteria causing diarrhea and effects of bacteria's respiration in lactose intolerant people. Was it wrong to do this?
    I think it specified in the question that we're not to talk about the different diseases that the bacteria cause. I might be wrong, but I specifically remember something about that.

ReputationRep:
    I think it specfied in the question that we're not to talk about the different diseases that the bacteria cause. I might be wrong, but I specifically remember something about that.
    tis true, it said not to talk about immunology and disease.

Also about deamination, this would have removed the protein from the blood entirely. Thus no protein would be present in the withdrawn sample of blood and thus you cant deduce the concentration of the blood....i think at least, you may be right and me totally wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's where I intially thought I went wrong, but I talked to a teacher about that and she said that the liver is involved in removing excess amino acids from the blood. So therefore the liver's function is not to break down the protein - that's the digestive system's role.

That's why I was inclined to think it was something to do with deamination, because of word "excess" amino acids.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.