Turn on thread page Beta

AQA (A) Unit 8/9 SYNOPTIC Biology/Human Biology After Exam Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    May I just add that the reason amino acids couldn't be used for measuring the volume of A is because amino acids are broken down. It can't be used for mark-release-recapture because the numbers marked in the original sample will be dramatically different from those found in the second sample.

ReputationRep:
    for the liver question i got carbohydrate decreases cos of respiration, lipid decreases cos it may be used as respiratory substrate when glucose runs out and protein increases as it is unchanged so the % rises.
    is this right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junners)
    I think it specified in the question that we're not to talk about the different diseases that the bacteria cause. I might be wrong, but I specifically remember something about that.
    Oh, I think I may be alright then actually. I did the Human Biology paper which I'm fairly certain didn't specify that...so I should be okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaeda)
    for the liver question i got carbohydrate decreases cos of respiration, lipid decreases cos it may be used as respiratory substrate when glucose runs out and protein increases as it is unchanged so the % rises.
    is this right?
    I said exactly the same about carbs and lipids but said that proteins would decrease as well because proteins are continually broken down by the liver? Not sure at all about that though, I did feel like I was waffling a bit through the whole of question one!

ReputationRep:
    For the question about why the poison would be less likely to be broken down by taking an alternative venous route, did anyone put that the poison may be engulfed by the kupfer cells of the liver because the ileum is connected to it by the hepatic portal vein? By taking the other route, the poison can go straight to other parts of the body before reaching the liver.

Also the other question for why increased phosphorus conc increased chlorophyll conc, i put that phosphorus makes up the backbone of dna and allows replication and mitosis to occur so more chlorophyll cells are produced. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaeda)
    is this right?
    Thats pretty much what I put.

and what the fl!p is with all the anon neg repping for being "annoying"? Annoying how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danguetta)
    I chose the ion one - was very good, but I've just realised I missed out the phosphates in membranes !! I wrote about:
    • Cystic Fibrosis (intro)
    • Neurones, resting potentials and action potentials
    • Brief thing about calcium in muscles
    • Impulses from the SAN in the heart caused by the movement of ions
    • Blood clotting (Ca ions)
    • Haemoglobin, iron, the chloride shift, H+
    • Use of Na+ to help absorb glucose and amino acids in stomach
    • Na+ and Cl- helping regulate water in small intestine, oral rehydration therapy
    • The importance of ATP
    • Light-dependent reactaions (magnesium)
    • Oxidative phosphorylation (not much detail, just in a bracket)
    • Nitrate ions
    • Brief thing about opening and closing of stomata
    • Small thing about phosphate being present in DNA (nearly forgot about that !!)
    • One sentence about fluorides necessary for bone and teeth structur
    i wrote nitrate in my plan but deleted it afterwards coz i thought it wasn't inorganic ion for some reason...argh.. why i did that!!

i think ppl like you will push the UMS mark high..lol

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone write about decomposers in the carbon cycle in the bacteria essay. i didnt write about this but arent the decomposers bacteria?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat_r)
    Did anyone write about decomposers in the carbon cycle in the bacteria essay. i didnt write about this but arent the decomposers bacteria?
    ye i was gona talk about that but then didnt know how it would affect the lives of humans and other organisms so i just left that. im sure theres a way they do affect the lives in sum way but i just went blank.

ReputationRep:
    it looks like different pl wrote different answers for the lipid, carb and protein change qn and all the answers suggested make sense and seem to be right biologically.hmmmmmmm maybe theres more than one answer. i wrote that carb will decrease cos glycogen gets converted to glucose which will be used in repiration therefore decrease. then when carb supply is finished protein and lipids would be used for repiration therefore they will also decrease.
    but reading wednesburywench's answer also seem to be right and in more depth....really not sure about this answer as it was worth 4 marks

ReputationRep:
    for the people who chose essay B about bacteria, when you talked about Ruminents, to what detail did you go into. I wrote a paragraph - around 8-9 lines, but people have told me they wrote like a whole page on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ky1986)
    it looks like different pl wrote different answers for the lipid, carb and protein change qn and all the answers suggested make sense and seem to be right biologically.hmmmmmmm maybe theres more than one answer. i wrote that carb will decrease cos glycogen gets converted to glucose which will be used in repiration therefore decrease. then when carb supply is finished protein and lipids would be used for repiration therefore they will also decrease.
    but reading wednesburywench's answer also seem to be right and in more depth....really not sure about this answer as it was worth 4 marks
    Do what I did - write nothing!

I'm hoping my essay will save me, I must have picked up some marks there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherc2005)
    for the people who chose essay B about bacteria, when you talked about Ruminents, to what detail did you go into. I wrote a paragraph - around 8-9 lines, but people have told me they wrote like a whole page on it.
    The thing was that I revised loads on Ruminants for the BYA6 and was disappointed when it didn't come up. However when something related to it came up here, I was over the moon! I talked about how the bacteria are able to provide fatty acids for the ruminating animal (I went through the whole process of how cellulose was broken down), along with providing the animal with protein. That took about a page I think.

(Original post by kat_r)
    I wrote about them, but I didn't call them decomposers. I called them saprobionts for the Carbon cycle and called them saprotrophic bacteria for the Nitrogen cycle. I know for a fact that bacteria can be classed as saprobionts/saprotrophs.

I reckon the whole Nitrogen cycle was a goldmine for all the different types of bacteria: Nitrifying bacteria, denitrifying bacteria and nitrogen-fixing bacteria. This is what took up quite a bit of my essay.

ReputationRep:
    Roughly how long was everyone's bacteria essay coz i worried that mine wasnt long enough i only wrote just over 2 sides. however i read that the essay shouldnt be much more than 2 sides coz otherwise u hav included unnecessary detail. Also did everyone finish with a lot of time left (a bit more than 20 mins) coz th whole of my class did but this cannot b a good sign!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ky1986)
    ye i was gona talk about that but then didnt know how it would affect the lives of humans and other organisms so i just left that. im sure theres a way they do affect the lives in sum way but i just went blank.
    Hey, I wrote about the nitrifying bacteria and bacteria in the carbon cycle and said that this was beneficial to plants because they rely on the products produced...ie. nitrates, carbon dioxide etc. I also said this is indirectly beneficial to humans because humans rely on the carbohydrates produced during photosynthesis and plants need carbon dioxide to photosynthesise. That was only like one sentence though because I didn't wanna lose marks because of the relevance thing.

Again, dunno if that was right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat_r)
    Roughly how long was everyone's bacteria essay coz i worried that mine wasnt long enough i only wrote just over 2 sides. however i read that the essay shouldnt be much more than 2 sides coz otherwise u hav included unnecessary detail. Also did everyone finish with a lot of time left (a bit more than 20 mins) coz th whole of my class did but this cannot b a good sign!
    i used one extra sheet of paper and filled both sides.
    i felt there was a lot to right about
    i wrote about 6-7 different aspects of bateria and their effects
    i finished my essay with 15minutes to spare. But i used this time to go over the questions and add/finish things to them.

ReputationRep:
    theres not much we can do about it now i guess!
    im kicking myself for missing stuff from AS like the importance of calcium ions in the formation of a blood clot, and I didnt talk all that much about hydrogen bonds between things as well :stupid:
    never mind too late now!

ReputationRep:
    ive been reading what everyone has been saying what they've included in the bacteria essay, mines basically the same except for the fact i wrote a lil bout natural selection, bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics, etc. is that right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dangerous_7)
    ive been reading what everyone has been saying what they've included in the bacteria essay, mines basically the same except for the fact i wrote a lil bout natural selection, bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics, etc. is that right?
    yeh im sure that would be right, as long as you said how this affected humans (e.g. they would not be as immune to the bacteria etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animaluvva)
    That was only like one sentence though because I didn't wanna lose marks because of the relevance thing.
    Bolox I forgot to relate my discussion of the cycles to how they affect 'lives'. There goes 3/3 relevance.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.