Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did you find it? Section B was ok but I think esseys were horrible. Ended up writing the temperature one. Anyone else? Majority seems to have tacked the negative feedback one. Module 8 itself was ok I think.

ReputationRep:
    Fancy adding a poll to get the essay choices off people?
    I did do negative feedback. Thought the data questions were ok. Shame about the protein tests - I couldnt remember those last year what makes them think I'd be able to do it this time round?
    5 marks as well on heavy metal ions (lead effect on enzymes) seems quite a lot.
    Also where were all the questions on hormonal cycle, screening, capcitation, acrosome reaction, corticle reaction........?

Hmm. Bring on AEA on Monday! Wuu!

ReputationRep:
    I am doing AEA as well. More scary esseys...

ReputationRep:
    Section A was quite good . For section B, the 3 synoptic questions were ok (luckily I revised protein tests last night) but the essay's weren't. I wasted some time trying to decide which one to do. I ended up doing the temperature one but I didn't write everything I wanted to, I ran out of time

ReputationRep:
    I am lucky as I have extra time in all my exams (english is my second language) so I had like exta half an hour for this unit (I finished before end of normal time anyway but I like comfort of extra time lol).

ReputationRep:
    can urea move through the partially permeable membrane??! i really didn't understand that whole question

ReputationRep:
    I finished my essay just in time. Had 50 mins or so to do it in cos I stormed through section A. Beginning to worry about it now though - what if I didnt do as well as I need to!?!?!? Argh this is going to be murder now til results day...54 days 13hrs 47mins to go... (just checked the countdown timer lolz)

ReputationRep:
    urea can but i thought urease couldnt - large protein molecule too big to pass through the partially permeable membrane. alkali inside as ammonia present, acidic outside as dissolved CO2 present

CO2 + H20 -> HCO3- + H+

...i think

ReputationRep:
    can urea move through the partially permeable membrane??! i really didn't understand that whole question
    I think it can. Why not, it is prety small after all and it moves through membranes in the kidney.

54 days 13hrs 47mins to go... (just checked the countdown timer lolz)
    Where you can find timer like that?

ReputationRep:
    I thought outside was neutral as it remain yellow, same colour as for water.

ReputationRep:
    Timer was a free download from karenware.com - I got really bored while revising one day a few months back and set it up for start of exams, end of exams, holidays, results day, uni start day if i get in.

**hangs head in shame**

ReputationRep:
    it could have been neutral but it was a lower pH than 8 - that can be either neutral or acidic. if urea can diffuse through the membrane, which it must have been able to, then i dont see why CO2 couldnt diffuse through as well. if CO2 solution was still within the membrane it could have reacted with NH3 creating a neutral solution??

ReputationRep:
    The grade boundaries could be quite low for this exam, according to the examiners reports, to get a B in the Janaury one you only needed to get 55 marks out of 100 that was 84 uniform marks out of 120. But it could vary.

ReputationRep:
    Why lower then 8? I was thinking about it as well but going along those lines why ammonia does not diffuse out creating basic solution both inside and outside the membrane?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was 60/100 last june to get 84/120 (B)
    So that's an increase of 10% quite happily. Doubt it could be that much this year though

ReputationRep:
    it said a yellow solution was pH lower than 8, blue solution was pH greater than 8. You're probably right actually - CO2 could bubble out - there was no lid on it. Actually that question on finding the rate I said you could find the time for a certain volume of CO2 to be produced so at least one of my answers is going to be wrong. Hmm. Covered all angles there though. "Dynamic thinking"!

ReputationRep:
    How much did you need for an E?

ReputationRep:
    it said a yellow solution was pH lower than 8, blue solution was pH greater than 8.
    I did not read the question carefuly again. Not a suprise. Was there a question on how to find a rate? I thought there was one to find optimum temperature.

ReputationRep:
    that makes sense as pH blue usually means alkaline solutions and pH yellow/red usually means acidic solutions. And yes the question was about the optimum temperature. What did everyone think about 8 in general?

ReputationRep:
    optimum temp for maximum rate - find the rate at various temps. i went into quite a bit of detail lol not sure if that was a good idea though.
    right that moth question - why is mating more successful in the dark;
    "in the dark male moths arent turned off by ugly partners"
    "moth semen can photodissociate"
    unless eggs are laid first then fertilised, in which case they would be less susceptible to prey at night? or maybe the eggs are sensitive to UV?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.