Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corkskrew)
    optimum temp for maximum rate - find the rate at various temps. i went into quite a bit of detail lol not sure if that was a good idea though.
    right that moth question - why is mating more successful in the dark;
    "in the dark male moths arent turned off by ugly partners"
    "moth semen can photodissociate"
    unless eggs are laid first then fertilised, in which case they would be less susceptible to prey at night? or maybe the eggs are sensitive to UV?
    I put that the moths and eggs are less susceptible to prey at night.
    What did people put for the part that references to the earths gravitational field? Turn the box around? I was going to right 'do it in space' but read the word 'simple' and almost burst out laughing :rolleyes:

Wow it's weird to think that no longer will I be writing out Biology notes over and over again in order to remember them. In fact, that was my last non maths exam.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, I read the simple and almost underlined it and wanted to write a note but I daren't :P I turned the box around so red was where green was or something. And for that light question, haha, I had no idea, so I said that fruitflys display positive phototaxis so they fly to the light instead of mating hahahahah so wrong... why am I laughing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corkskrew)
    urea can but i thought urease couldnt - large protein molecule too big to pass through the partially permeable membrane. alkali inside as ammonia present, acidic outside as dissolved CO2 present

CO2 + H20 -> HCO3- + H+

...i think
    i said that urea moved in...and was hydrolysed into ammonia and co2..but didnt say co2 diffused out...i thought the above equation only happens in red blood cells because of the presence of carbonic anhydrase..n this experiment only happened over a short time interval so the reaction wudnt have occurred at a fast enough rate to produce hco3-..and doesnt that do the moving if it was produced anyway? . iono

ReputationRep:
    imight have got a mark in this question. can see the examiners report now... "curious answers prevailed from one student" **hangs head in shame**

ReputationRep:
    i might have got a single mark in this question out of....6??? can see the examiners report now... "curious answers prevailed from one student" **hangs head in shame**

ReputationRep:
    right that moth question - why is mating more successful in the dark;
    I just put down that their are less likely to be eaten by predators while occupied with their courtship behaviour. lol

optimum temp for maximum rate - find the rate at various temps.
    I just used biuret reagent for that. The more purple the sample gets the closer to optimum temperature.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, I read the simple and almost underlined it and wanted to write a note but I daren't :P I turned the box around so red was where green was or something.
    Wow, that is a realy good idea. I write sth about placing it in a magnetic feeld (to much of physics revision, I could actualy sea those flux lines lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    Wow, that is a realy good idea. I write sth about placing it in a magnetic feeld (to much of physics revision, I could actualy sea those flux lines lol)

yep had the same idea - strong electromagnetic field at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees to flux lines of earth as the lines are always running from N->S. Hmm. Almost wrote the angles in radians as well. Sad. I'm hoping that infamous opening mark scheme line "treat alternative answers as correct" is stuck to this year.

ReputationRep:
    I gave up physics last year to save my sanity

ReputationRep:
    yep had the same idea - strong electromagnetic field at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees to flux lines of earth as the lines are always running from N->S.
    Spot the physicist. I bet any of the examiners would not come with sth like that lol.

ReputationRep:
    for the optimum temperature bit, i said conduct the experiment at different temperatures and plot a graph of the pH of the solution after 5 minutes for each temperature. The peak is the optimum temperature. I think that should work.

I didnt have a clue for the earths magnetic field one, so just wrote "place the experiment in a magnetic field which negates the effect of the earth's magnetic field". Dont do physics so didnt go into any detail about that at all. The clever people at my school said swap the colours.

ReputationRep:
    for the optimum temperature I said to do it at different temperatures and then chromatography....would that not work? and then I said to use a magnet to change the field

I did sooo badly on that paper, the essay went awful as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by govrules)
    for the optimum temperature bit, i said conduct the experiment at different temperatures and plot a graph of the pH of the solution after 5 minutes for each temperature. The peak is the optimum temperature. I think that should work.
    Yep I said that

ReputationRep:
    what the hel is this moth question ?!?! did i miss this out ?!?!

ReputationRep:
    the moth question was actually about fruitflys and it was only worth 1 mark so don't worry

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.