Turn on thread page Beta

should imagrants be aloud to work (legally!) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Most of the people going to uni in the US have nothing to do with education in the first place. Some go because they are good for sports, in fact a lot, some others to form the band etc. At the same time the majority of the degrees is even worse than in Britain. The fact is that for the top universities in the US only those who can afford it can go as it is for a lot of other unis whereas in Britain anyone can compete for cambridge and oxford as long as you have the grades.
    Fallacy after fallacy after fallacy. Where do you get this? Some vague impression you have subconsciously sucked up through cinematic osmosis?

What possible experience can you have to back this up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzy87)
    That figure does actually include accomodation.
    Just checked, and you're correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Since when has a democaracy meant communism? Since when has it meant everyone gets 20k a year and a state made toaster? Democracy is about your political power, about your right to cast a vote, to give your two cents. I really dont see how there being a large wealth differential means that there is no democracy in the US... actually its a rather odd comment.
    Calm down dear...where do I refer to communism in my reply..because seriously you must be blind..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Since when has a democaracy meant communism? Since when has it meant everyone gets 20k a year and a state made toaster? Democracy is about your political power, about your right to cast a vote, to give your two cents. I really dont see how there being a large wealth differential means that there is no democracy in the US... actually its a rather odd comment.
    Use smaller words. He seems to think that communism = authoritarianism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Fallacy after fallacy after fallacy. Where do you get this? Some vague impression you have subconsciously sucked up through cinematic osmosis?

What possible experience can you have to back this up?
    Oh please almighty centre of the wisdom in this world forgive us for our sin that is of not agreeing with your big massive enormous intellect. Next time we will make sure we accomodate what you want to hear....

p.s p off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Use smaller words. He seems to think that communism = authoritarianism.
    So please do name a country that in practice is both communist and not authoritarian? Dont change subject...just name one..

ReputationRep:
    So please do name a country that in practice is both communist and not authoritarian? Dont change subject...just name one..
    All cats are animals; not all animals are cats.

ReputationRep:
    All cats are animals; not all animals are cats.
    Oh please spare us the philosophical nonsense, NAME ONE? It's very simple really, name one...

ReputationRep:
    Calm down dear...where do I refer to communism in my reply..because seriously you must be blind..

Did I say you did? You made reference to the wealth gap as somehow detracting from the US being a democracy. On that BASIS you would have to have communism for democracy to be veritable.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please almighty centre of the wisdom in this world forgive us for our sin that is of not agreeing with your big massive enormous intellect. Next time we will make sure we accomodate what you want to hear....

p.s p off
    So thats a no then? No experience or evidence? As opposed to me who DOES?

Nice to know I have a basis for my claim while you have none.

Unless of course you want to avoid getting personal and actually PROVIDE some basis for your rather odd claims?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    So thats a no then? No experience or evidence? As opposed to me who DOES?

Nice to know I have a basis for my claim while you have none.

Unless of course you want to avoid getting personal and actually PROVIDE some basis for your rather odd claims?
    Which claims are you refering to? You have replied to about 10 posts I just cant keep up..in the meanwhile I dont see any facts provided by you either ...so give us a link so we can see how right you are.

ReputationRep:
    Which claims are you refering to? You have replied to about 10 posts I just cant keep up..in the meanwhile I dont see any facts provided by you either ...so give us a link so we can see how right you are.
    Well you are entitled to claim that I am lying about:

a) My personal experiences of US students and their socio-economic background
    b) The 25-75 range for say harvard (google it - it is pretty easy to find)
    c) The large number of grants and scholarships Harvard and the other 7 give. (check their websites).

You on the other hand have made the claim that the Ivy league and other top universities are chock full of dumb rich kids who bought their way in. This simply isnt the case, and I would like to know what basis you have for YOUR CLAIM.

Care to provide any?

Seriously - dont ignore this point - PROVIDE SOME - provide a basis for it.
    Please
    Im begging you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Well you are entitled to claim that I am lying about:

a) My personal experiences of US students and their socio-economic background
    b) The 25-75 range for say harvard (google it - it is pretty easy to find)
    c) The large number of grants and scholarships Harvard and the other 7 give. (check their websites).

You on the other hand have made the claim that the Ivy league and other top universities are chock full of dumb rich kids who bought their way in. This simply isnt the case, and I would like to know what basis you have for YOUR CLAIM.

Care to provide any?

Please
    Im begging you.
    Hang on a second...you are saying that is not the case yet you tell me to google it. Surely if you are so certain about something and object to what I said so vehemently you must have a source which I could look at...so provide it to prove me wrong..

ReputationRep:
    Hang on a second...you are saying that is not the case yet you tell me to google it. Surely if you are so certain about something and object to what I said so vehemently you must have a source which I could look at...so provide it to prove me wrong..
    the 25 -75 spread for harvard on the SAT? FIne ... ill get you a link - its pretty damn easy.

SAT I score (25/75 percentile): 1400-1580

Not hard - all I did was type: Harvard 25-75 sat into yahoo....

happy now ...

NOW ... like I said ... and will say again:
    "You on the other hand have made the claim that the Ivy league and other top universities are chock full of dumb rich kids who bought their way in. This simply isnt the case, and I would like to know what basis you have for YOUR CLAIM.

Care to provide any?

Please
    Im begging you."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    the 25 -75 spread for harvard on the SAT? FIne ... ill get you a link - its pretty damn easy.

SAT I score (25/75 percentile): 1400-1580

Not hard - all I did was type: Harvard 25-75 sat into yahoo....

happy now ...

NOW ... like I said ... and will say again:
    "You on the other hand have made the claim that the Ivy league and other top universities are chock full of dumb rich kids who bought their way in. This simply isnt the case, and I would like to know what basis you have for YOUR CLAIM.

Care to provide any?

Please
    Im begging you."

What exactly does this show? If I remember correctly you said I was wrong when saying the majority of Harvard come from rich families and the representation of the poor is negligable...was this not the point or have i missed something?

ReputationRep:
    All theocracies in the world are Muslim. Therefore, each Muslim country is a theocracy, right?
    Turkey.....

...and im still waiting for a NAME...come on then it's not difficult...really

ReputationRep:
    What exactly does this show? If I remember correctly you said I was wrong when saying the majority of Harvard come from rich families and the representation of the poor is negligable...was this not the point or have i missed something?
    It shows partly what I have been saying. Namely that those at Harvard are mainly there on merit. The 25-75 spread shows what the VAST majority of harvard students have to get to get in when it comes to standardised testing, which is designed to measure ability rather than education.

As such - the fact that the majority of Harvard students get very very good grades and display very high SAT marks goes to show you that merit is what gets you in, not generally money.

Additionally - how many times do I have to ask you for evidence?

Seriously? Are you just ignoring me for fun?

ReputationRep:
    Turkey.....

You just confirmed his point. I dont think you understood the syllogism.

ReputationRep:
    Turkey.....

I see the analogy flew straight passed you. There are plenty of totalitarian states that are not communist, therefore communism != totalitarianism. If you want examples of non-communist totalitarian states, there's Saudi Arabia, Turkmenistan, Burma, and Syria.

ReputationRep:
    There arent any. Because people dont want to be in a communist state, and thus you need one to be authoritarian to maintain it.

But the point that communism and authoritarianism are the not necessarily linked as intellectual concepts is too obvious to debate really.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.