Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    okay i know that lots of people may be nervous of moving out and going to uni; but for my my biggest fear ever, is leaving my family. I soo want to go to uni but i know im going to miss my family life nothing else!?

I just keep imagining myself all alone in my room and when i ring my house hearing everyone having fun and just getting on w/o me! and i know there gonna miss me too, which makes it even harder ;(

I'll miss my friends but not like i'll miss my mom and sisters! So im thinking that even if i do make new friends *fingers crossed* its still not going to be the same!

Im from birmingham and going to manchester which is quite far away, i could take my car but i wouldn't be able to manage the motorway by myself, lol!

How im thinking at the moment is that i've got 3months to perpare myself mentally.

Anyone feel like there really going to miss there family aswell? or is it just be lol!? Or anyone had feelings like this before going to uni and it all turn out alright!?

ReputationRep:
    I'll miss my family loads, and I'm kinda worried about how homesick I might get too. However, we don't actually know we'll miss hope that much, and my plan is to just go with the flow and see what happens. :cool:

Oh and you can't really live with your family forever

ReputationRep:
    aww babe, please dont worry too much, theres no way ull b sittin in ur room bored - ul make loads of new friends and im sure ur family wil miss u just as much as u miss them!! just try to get out and make lots of friends during freshers that way itll b easier for you! i know il miss my family loads but i know im ready to move on and in this case move out. just enjoy ur time with them now and think how ace ur visits home will be! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_buttercup)
    aww babe, please dont worry too much, theres no way ull b sittin in ur room bored - ul make loads of new friends and im sure ur family wil miss u just as much as u miss them!! just try to get out and make lots of friends during freshers that way itll b easier for you! i know il miss my family loads but i know im ready to move on and in this case move out. just enjoy ur time with them now and think how ace ur visits home will be! xxx

aww thanks! the thing is that i KNOW that i need to move on, and to the other person(thanks also) i know, i know i can't live with my family forever and i'll still have them but i don't know if i'm ready to go! but im not going to deferred uni for a year or so because i know like in october i'm going to WANT to go to uni, and i'll be ready to leave home, lol!

Yeah i will try and enjoy the time left i have with them - the thing is sometimes I really just want to go, and other times i think hmm 'maybe i don't!!

Another thing is that im not sure whether i'll actually meet people with the same interests and stuff as me? I hope that there are different types of people at uni, lol

ReputationRep:
    trust me at uni there are so many different types of people and so many oppotunities to meet new people, im sure ull find loads of people with common interests. mayb u cud check out the unis website and see wot societies and clubs they have and then ull have an idea of wot u might like to join! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_buttercup)
    trust me at uni there are so many different types of people and so many oppotunities to meet new people, im sure ull find loads of people with common interests. mayb u cud check out the unis website and see wot societies and clubs they have and then ull have an idea of wot u might like to join! xx

aww, thanx!
    hope i don't sound really whinning, lol! Just abit of fears and stuff (im sure everyone has some!?) I'm sure i'll be fine!

thanks again
    'taya

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Latayah)
    aww, thanx!
    hope i don't sound really whinning, lol! Just abit of fears and stuff (im sure everyone has some!?) I'm sure i'll be fine!

thanks again
    'taya
    I don't have those fears, because I've lived away from my parents before and have practically been living alone for the last few weeks (edit: did i say weeks? months actually, lol, but time flys by...). It won't be as bad as you think, believe me . And when you come home during holidays nearlly everything will be just as you left it, it will be as if you were never gone really. Don't worry, everything will be fine. You'll make new friends and will lead a very different life and at first make sure you keep busy so that you don't have time to miss them that much, it may help.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Just thought I'd quickly add my experience for you!
    I was terrified about how much I'd miss my family before I went to uni, and they all were too - they all cried when they left me after dropping me off, even my dad n I hadn't seen him cry in 19years!! We're all really close so it was hard!
    Basically though, I found the first few days quite painful, but even they weren't as bad as I'd thought - you are kept SO busy from the minute you arrive at Uni, meeting new friends, finding your way around etc etc, so you really don't have that much time to think about home. There are LOADS of different people there so you're bound to find people you click with pretty much straight away. Trust me on this one, I'm the most homey person I know and I coped fine.
    You'll be alright, I promise! Just go with the flow, and think about it logically; you can go home whenever you want, you can call them every night if you're struggling, and you'll feel so proud of yourself for doing it. At the end of the day, we all need to leave home some time - Uni's probably the least painful way of going about it! You'll be fine.
    All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drivingrain)
    Hey,
    Just thought I'd quickly add my experience for you!
    I was terrified about how much I'd miss my family before I went to uni, and they all were too - they all cried when they left me after dropping me off, even my dad n I hadn't seen him cry in 19years!! We're all really close so it was hard!
    Basically though, I found the first few days quite painful, but even they weren't as bad as I'd thought - you are kept SO busy from the minute you arrive at Uni, meeting new friends, finding your way around etc etc, so you really don't have that much time to think about home. There are LOADS of different people there so you're bound to find people you click with pretty much straight away. Trust me on this one, I'm the most homey person I know and I coped fine.
    You'll be alright, I promise! Just go with the flow, and think about it logically; you can go home whenever you want, you can call them every night if you're struggling, and you'll feel so proud of yourself for doing it. At the end of the day, we all need to leave home some time - Uni's probably the least painful way of going about it! You'll be fine.
    All the best!

thanks drivingrain Adarah, i'm already starting to feel a tad better! I also have a really homely backgroud which will make it harder! Im feeling that if i know there miss me, it'll be even worst!

thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Latayah)
    Anyone feel like there really going to miss there family aswell? or is it just be lol!? Or anyone had feelings like this before going to uni and it all turn out alright!?
    Yeah, I will miss my family and friends. In addition, I might get home sick as well. Sooner or later we will settle into university, and we will be alright. Furthermore, you can still visit your old friends and your family. We are all on the same boat.

ReputationRep:
    at least you and your family are still in the same continent!

ReputationRep:
    Understand your fears and worries. I know it's easy to say, but remember that over the years literallly tens of thousands of students have been through this before and survived. The new crowd you meet will be just as keen on making new friends as you, and just as worried.
    Also, I can only work from my own experience. I was terrified going away to Uni 30 years ago but loved it - and I got on even better with my family after. Incidentally, everyone will be worried. This is my second time and I was terrified on registration day. It'll work out.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.