Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Abortion is a good thing. Just think of people who accidentally get pregnant despite precautions, and yet just can't raise a child properly at that point in their lives.
    Morally, that is a pretty lame argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Beaver)
    Adoption is something we could do without.

how can you say that?! adoption does not not mean that you are unwanted maybe they just can't take care of you because they do not have any money and think you will be better of adopted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Abortion:

1) 12 year old girl gets raped and is pregnant.

2) Couple did not use condom.

3) Couple used condom but it failed.

Would you deny Abortion to any of these 3 scenarios?

ReputationRep:
    Morally, it isn't. Would you rather see a child raised in a substandard environment? Whilst I do kind of agree that it is murder in some strange way. It is still often the right thing to do. Both morally and ethically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Abortion:

1) 12 year old girl gets raped and is pregnant.

2) Couple did not use condom.

3) Couple used condom but it failed.

Would you deny Abortion to any of these 3 scenarios? If so why?
    Thanks 2776. That is basically my point. It would be a crime to allow people who aren't ready to raise a child to indeed do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Thanks 2776. That is basically my point. It would be a crime to allow people who aren't ready to raise a child to indeed do so.
    No problem.

ReputationRep:
    Abortion was originally introduced and legalised (in 1967) under extreme circumstances, but the action on laws were of course loosened, and nowadays it is really easy to get an abortion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Morally, it isn't. Would you rather see a child raised in a substandard environment? Whilst I do kind of agree that it is murder in some strange way. It is still often the right thing to do. Both morally and ethically.
    Some strange way? It quite simply is.

I think it is not right to judge whether a person should live or die based on how we see their future "environment" being.

ReputationRep:
    Abortion was originally introduced and legalised (in 1967) under extreme circumstances, but the action on laws were of course loosened, and nowadays it is really easy to get an abortion.
    With good reason. A child needs love, and a lot of the love parents give comes from wanting the child. Eg: seeing the doctors to find out just when the woman should put her ankles behind her ears for the best chance at pregnancy. The easier to get an abortion the better. I'd still not like to see a person suffer, just because they were born. How bloody horrible is that?

ReputationRep:
    Abortions are better than going to 'back street' doctors who would do really nasty and dangerous things to get rid of unborn children. However, the abortion law is constantly being abused, for example parents who wanted a child, conceived one and then aborted it for something 'little' and easily fixable (e.g. the whole cleft palate saga).

I'm not too keen on the idea of aborting after 24 weeks (I watched this programme where after 24 weeks they have to manually break the foetus into pieces to get it out of the uterus) but in some cases it has to be done (e.g. when the mother's life is in danger).

ReputationRep:
    Same thing will happen with euthanasia once it's lawful - in time the aged, mentally incompetent and physically disabled will be euthanised because it will be 'unjust' to burden the rest of society with the cost and time involved in keeping them alive! All in the name of "we don't want them to suffer" or "they have no quality of life".

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I agree with abortions. Women shouldn't be told what to do by societies that base their morals on religion. It's their choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    With good reason. A child needs love, and a lot of the love parents give comes from wanting the child. Eg: seeing the doctors to find out just when the woman should put her ankles behind her ears for the best chance at pregnancy. The easier to get an abortion the better. I'd still not like to see a person suffer, just because they were born. How bloody horrible is that?
    You are trivialising a serious issue, methinks.

ReputationRep:
    Some strange way? It quite simply is.

I think it is not right to judge whether a person should live or die based on how we see their future "environment" being.
    Got to be cruel to be kind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Personally, I agree with abortions. Women shouldn't be told what to do by societies that base their morals on religion. It's their choice.
    Many people dont base their arguments on religion, rather moral instinct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Got to be cruel to be kind.
    Shut up.

ReputationRep:
    You are trivialising a serious issue, methinks.
    You thinks wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Shut up.
    Morally and ethically, abortion is often the right thing to do. Yet there will always be the exception to the rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Abortions are better than going to 'back street' doctors who would do really nasty and dangerous things to get rid of unborn children. However, the abortion law is constantly being abused, for example parents who wanted a child, conceived one and then aborted it for something 'little' and easily fixable (e.g. the whole cleft palate saga).

I'm not too keen on the idea of aborting after 24 weeks (I watched this programme where after 24 weeks they have to manually break the foetus into pieces to get it out of the uterus) but in some cases it has to be done (e.g. when the mother's life is in danger).
    The same thing could be applied to drug-taking, thus it is not a feasible argument (not for most, anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Morally and ethically, abortion is often the right thing to do. Yet there will always be the exception to the rule.
    It clearly depends what you base your morals/ethics on. If you think the termination of a human life is acceptable, then I guess it can be justified.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.