Turn on thread page Beta

For people into Jazz-Classical/Contemporary music watch

ReputationRep:
    My Dad's a music publisher and a couple of years ago he discovered this amazing russian composer called Nikolai Kapustin, and he's just started publishing his music. Kapustin's compositions are AMAZING, they are so complex and just...amazing. Anyway, here's a link to some excerpts of his music and you will see what I mean:

Kapustin's music

I'd give anything to be able to play his music

ReputationRep:
    Wow!! I love them!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoon1)
    My Dad's a music publisher and a couple of years ago he discovered this amazing russian composer called Nikolai Kapustin, and he's just started publishing his music. Kapustin's compositions are AMAZING, they are so complex and just...amazing. Anyway, here's a link to some excerpts of his music and you will see what I mean:

Kapustin's music

I'd give anything to be able to play his music
    ! Does your dad know about composition? Do you reckon he could help me out??

I don't mean like give me a deal or something, just some guidance. I love writing music and I do it all the time but I don't know what I'm doing most of the time

ReputationRep:
    Gah! I'll listen to those samples tomorrow for sure AOL's having a media aneurysm right now I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    ! Does your dad know about composition? Do you reckon he could help me out??

I don't mean like give me a deal or something, just some guidance. I love writing music and I do it all the time but I don't know what I'm doing most of the time

I'm fraid he's not a composer...he just likes to listen and play music. I don't think he's ever composed anything in his life! :rolleyes:

I'm sure if you compose loads you must have some idea of what you're doing! I don't think composing is something you can do right or wrong...it's music...music can be anything!

ReputationRep:
    I know... but some music is obviously better quality than others :p: i.e. Bach and .. me :p:

I do have an idea of what I'm doing.... but I don't know if what I do is any good or not I've got two or three compositions I think are good, and some I'm not sure about, and some I know are rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    I know... but some music is obviously better quality than others :p: i.e. Bach and .. me :p:

I do have an idea of what I'm doing.... but I don't know if what I do is any good or not I've got two or three compositions I think are good, and some I'm not sure about, and some I know are rubbish.

Each to one's own....what you may think is rubbish, another person may really enjoy! Anyway, I listened to some of your stuff on your sibelius page, and I don't think it's rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    What did you listen to?

Where'd you get the link from?

ReputationRep:
    What did you listen to?

Where'd you get the link from?
    you posted it in a thread a while back....i've forgotten the link but i remember listening to a duck song which was really sweet.....and one for trumpet and piano? I can't really remember but if you post the link again I'll be able to tell you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoon1)
    you posted it in a thread a while back....i've forgotten the link but i remember listening to a duck song which was really sweet.....and one for trumpet and piano? I can't really remember but if you post the link again I'll be able to tell you!
    Just noticed the link's in my sig anyway :p:

http://members.sibeliusmusic.com/onearmedbandit

The trumpet & piano ones aren't very good. I tried to write them a white ago cos me & my mum to play but I find it difficult to write for. I'm not really sure how to write a good piano accompaniment

ReputationRep:
    Just noticed the link's in my sig anyway :p:

http://members.sibeliusmusic.com/onearmedbandit

The trumpet & piano ones aren't very good. I tried to write them a white ago cos me & my mum to play but I find it difficult to write for. I'm not really sure how to write a good piano accompaniment

Jay Jay! That one's brilliant! And Dylan's boogie - that one's pretty groovy :cool:

I find the piano accompaniments really hard to write as well - I always find that I'm never entirely satisfied with what I've written and it's hard to embellish the chords to make them more interesting. It's really annoying because I can sit at a piano and compose something really nice off the top of my head but when it comes to putting pen to paper...well that's what I find really hard! And then I forget what I've just played! It's so annoying :mad:

ReputationRep:
    lol! Record it when you play!!

I can't even play piano If I could it'd be easier.

You like Jay Jay? I hate that :p: I only keep it up there cos it gets lots of printouts. I prefer my stirng pieces, wind pieces, orchestral songs and the jazzy/poppy ones OH and m video game music!

Does the percussion sound dodgy to you on the site btw? It does for me

Are you on sibeliusmusic.com??

ReputationRep:
    lol! Record it when you play!!

I can't even play piano If I could it'd be easier.

You like Jay Jay? I hate that :p: I only keep it up there cos it gets lots of printouts. I prefer my stirng pieces, wind pieces, orchestral songs and the jazzy/poppy ones OH and m video game music!

Does the percussion sound dodgy to you on the site btw? It does for me

Are you on sibeliusmusic.com??

I have to say in one of the pieces the drumkit makes a noise that sounds a bit like a 5 year old playing a bassoon....

I'm not on sibeliusmusic.com because I don't have sibelius - well I do, but it's a downloaded copy and i can't save anything I write so it's a bit pointless really....To be honest though I find sibelius too fiddly and it really frustrates me sometimes so i either write down the chords in my compositions or just try and remember them.....eh he he. I've never thought of recording them though - that would be a very good idea if i actually had some recording equipment though :p:

p.s. Just listened to 'String quirtet' and it's brilliant....it reminds me of michael tippett's concert for double string orchestra.... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    tee hee... those are nice jazz pieces there. I love em, i mean my mum would love em

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 26, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.