Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manatee)
    Out of interest, would anyone here consider going on a course to overcome their phobia?
    i'd just buy a hoover , i sucked one up once, i was going to get it out for some reason, but i looked at the cylinder of dust and thought naa...i think it was dead before it got hoovered up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by braders89)
    i'd just buy a hoover , i sucked one up once, i was going to get it out for some reason, but i looked at the cylinder of dust and thought naa...i think it was dead before it got hoovered up
    I have to confess that if I'm left to deal with them on my own, the hoover's my preferred method, although I feel a bit guilty about it...

The brand of the hoover is important, though . When I was buying a hoover a few years ago, the shop assistant told me the story of a woman who bought a Dyson and promptly returned it, having sucked up a spider, because she was really distressed by seeing it go round and round! Needless to say, I opted for a vacuum cleaner with a bag after that .

ReputationRep:
    are people really that afraid of spiders/insects? I mean, Id always know of peoples, my grandma doesnt like spiders, but really I guess it didnt really fully sink in, just think about it.... Its a spider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluent in Lies)
    are people really that afraid of spiders/insects? I mean, Id always know of peoples, my grandma doesnt like spiders, but really I guess it didnt really fully sink in, just think about it.... Its a spider.
    Rational thought has nothing to do with it...

ReputationRep:
    I have to confess that if I'm left to deal with them on my own, the hoover's my preferred method, although I feel a bit guilty about it...

The brand of the hoover is important, though . When I was buying a hoover a few years ago, the shop assistant told me the story of a woman who bought a Dyson and promptly returned it, having sucked up a spider, because she was really distressed by seeing it go round and round! Needless to say, I opted for a vacuum cleaner with a bag after that .
    I used a dyson. I didnt watch it, i just left the hoover and told my dad it needed emptying

ReputationRep:
    Rational thought has nothing to do with it...
    I guess, but I mean I have a (relativly) irrational fear of dogs, but I can stil play with them pat them, be near them etc.

ReputationRep:
    I hate spiders. They reduce me to a quivering wreck, I feel so embarrassed. For example, there was one in the bathroom in the other day, and I had to climb on top of the unit to get away from it I was so scared. It was huuuge! I had to slosh water over it until it drowned, there was no need I was getting near the *******. I then threw a tub of E-45 cream over it, just to make sure. Then I felt ashamed because I was sitting in a sink. They move too fast! They have eyes on stalks! And they're hairy! *shivers*. They're early this year as well, September is meant to be spider season.

Once, I took a poster down from my room, and there was a spiders nest underneath. I knew it was one, because I'd seen one on the tele before. But my Mum was all like; "no no no. It's just a bit of fluff", so she poked it, and millions of mini spiders all dispersed over my wall. LOADS!! Eek...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Once, I took a poster down from my room, and there was a spiders nest underneath. I knew it was one, because I'd seen one on the tele before. But my Mum was all like; "no no no. It's just a bit of fluff", so she poked it, and millions of mini spiders all dispersed over my wall. LOADS!! Eek...
    ah crap, i have seen them in my house before. I didnt know they had more spiders in it :eek: *runs to check room AGAIN*

ReputationRep:
    They move too fast!
    So do cheetahs :P

They have eyes on stalks!
    What kind of spiders do you get!

And they're hairy!

ReputationRep:
    So do cheetahs :P

What kind of spiders do you get!

yeah but you dont find cheetas in your bedroom that often, or ON your bed, like i found a spider yesterday and set the alarm off by openeing the back door with it in a glass at midnight to let it out , wasnt popular with the neighbours

ReputationRep:
    You unknowingly swallow an average of four live spiders in your sleep each year.

A complete myth, but I thought i'd toss it in anyway. Stir things up.

ReputationRep:
    You unknowingly swallow an average of four live spiders in your sleep each year.

A complete myth, but I thought i'd toss it in anyway. Stir things up.
    god i bloody hope not

ReputationRep:
    I guess, but I mean I have a (relativly) irrational fear of dogs, but I can stil play with them pat them, be near them etc.
    Fear of dogs isn't as irrational on the whole, I think - they can be dangerous and can attack people, so it's not a bad idea to be cautious. There is something about spiders, though, which makes my skin crawl. I'm not afraid of them in the sense that I think they might harm me (I know they won't) but seeing a big spider, or just thinking about it, actually makes me physically shudder. It's the only thing which has that effect on me (as far as I know, anyway!).

I also think there are degrees of fear (or revulsion): I wouldn't particularly want to touch an earthworm, for example, or a big beetle, but they simply don't provoke the same panic as spiders...

Just my two cents' worth .

ReputationRep:
    I hate spiders. They reduce me to a quivering wreck, I feel so embarrassed. For example, there was one in the bathroom in the other day, and I had to climb on top of the unit to get away from it I was so scared. It was huuuge! I had to slosh water over it until it drowned, there was no need I was getting near the *******. I then threw a tub of E-45 cream over it, just to make sure. Then I felt ashamed because I was sitting in a sink. They move too fast! They have eyes on stalks! And they're hairy! *shivers*. They're early this year as well, September is meant to be spider season.
    That really made me laugh, especially the E45 bit ... Not in bad way, I hasten to add - it's just comforting to know that there are other similarly afflicted individuals out there!

ReputationRep:
    Fear of dogs isn't as irrational on the whole, I think - they can be dangerous and can attack people, so it's not a bad idea to be cautious. There is something about spiders, though, which makes my skin crawl. I'm not afraid of them in the sense that I think they might harm me (I know they won't) but seeing a big spider, or just thinking about it, actually makes me physically shudder. It's the only thing which has that effect on me (as far as I know, anyway!).

I also think there are degrees of fear (or revulsion): I wouldn't particularly want to touch an earthworm, for example, or a big beetle, but they simply don't provoke the same panic as spiders...

Just my two cents' worth .
    I guess so. I would definately not hesidate to grab a cranefly (daddy long legs) in my hand and stick it out the window, but one of the big house spiders, I would use a glass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Ok i do NOT get scared of spiders
    EVER
    My sister comes to get me to capture them and take me outside
    But this monster attacked me in the shower yesterday
    Mum found it and killed it this morning
    But we've just found his mate...
    She's not quite as big... only about an inch or so this time:

That coving is about 4 or 5 inches tall...
    compare to some of the spidys on show here : http://www.giantspiders.com/

ReputationRep:
    This point has probably already been made. But if you dislike spiders so much, then how did you get close enough to it to know it was 5 inches. Or did you just take an educated guess?

And i hate spiders too, i dont like killing living things (apart from chavs - goes without saying) but i do sometimes have to squish spiders with the yellow pages.

ReputationRep:
    Is this where the party is at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeFen)
    Is this where the party is at?
    You could always make a new thread. Im sure people will love you for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Ok i do NOT get scared of spiders
    EVER
    My sister comes to get me to capture them and take me outside
    But this monster attacked me in the shower yesterday
    Mum found it and killed it this morning
    But we've just found his mate...
    She's not quite as big... only about an inch or so this time:

That coving is about 4 or 5 inches tall...
    are you sure thats english?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.