Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I do not fear death, as it means my task on earth is complete and I get to live in the Kingdom of Hevaen for eternity.
    Agreed. This world is terrible but i've got to last it out anyway...

ReputationRep:
    "Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not"
    ~Epicurus

Just about sums it up for me.

I fear old age and infirmity much more than death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluent in Lies)
    "Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not"
    ~Epicurus
    why are they so confusing late at night. I never get those things that have different meanings

ReputationRep:
    When we are dead we are dead so we don't know that we are not living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    I do not fear death, as it means my task on earth is complete and I get to live in the Kingdom of Hevaen for eternity.
    Who says you're getting in?

Really, being cocky should be considered a mortal sin...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what comes after this so I hope my life is enjoyable.

I want to have a family, with a pretty female who I love and kids that like and respect their father. Other than this I will die a happy person.

P.S. *makes note to ones self to stop smoking*

ReputationRep:
    as i believe there is nothing after death, it doesnt worry me.

the logical extension of my belief is that you wont actually be aware that you are dead. hence its not really something to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Not Being Able To Enjoy Life...

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to die in my sleep at 91 years old, hopefully not in an old folks home and still holding on to my intelligence, knowledge and sanity.

I do not believe in life after death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    as i believe there is nothing after death, it doesnt worry me.

the logical extension of my belief is that you wont actually be aware that you are dead. hence its not really something to worry about.
    same - not so worried about death as certain events in life :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Ok I believe in heaven cause I'm a Christian, but even if you don't
    Why should death be any different to pre-birth? And in the latter case eventually events conspired to make sure I was born so why shouldn't that happen again after I'm dead?

but anyway, atm I'm holding out on the hope that i'll live forever http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4003063.stm

ReputationRep:
    what scares me the most about death is where i'm going to go.everyone says the body is just a shell and your soul leaves.
    for example, i get told im going to either heaven or hell, either reincarnated or eat eaten by worms and nothing happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CornishGirl)
    what scares me the most about death is where i'm going to go.everyone says the body is just a shell and your soul leaves.
    for example, i get told im going to either heaven or hell, either reincarnated or eat eaten by worms and nothing happens.
    I think basically that its the same as before you were born exept that you meet up with all your friends and loved ones again and get helped on things to make you happy. that might sound silly but there's nothing bad thats going to happen after you die. just people wanting to help you and i dont think like its a view of being in white fluffy clouds it could be back here again.

ReputationRep:
    wellp, if we were not to die, we would be wasting our lifetime.

Death is here so that we get to set some points and achieve something in life.

And this helps the world progress.. or at least i think so

ReputationRep:
    Well i want to travel everywhere but most importantly have peolpe nto spend life with.

ReputationRep:
    The worst thing about dying would be the effect it would have on other people, family, friends etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not religious I believe when your dead your dead, it's over.

I wonder if by any chance that the universe is one long cycle, it is created, now I don't know too much about space theory but maybe in hundreds of billions of years time the universe comes to an end, I'm not up with he ever expanding universe theory or whether there will be a big crunch when the universe impodes on itself, it would be an nice thoery if the universe then created a copy of its former self and we get reccreated every hundred odd billion years through science alone. Well its a nice theory lol.

What I find interesting is how we are in effect in our own little worlds to an extent. How one of us can die and there is nothing for that person as they don't exist yet there is still life. So when I die its like the whole of the world is coming to an end, well for me anyway.

What you say about before you were born, your birth from your perspective was the begginning for you, you knew nothing before that. So from the perspectives of anyone that will ever be born they already exist. I'm probably talking rubbish now lol.

I don't think we should be so cynical about dieing, not saying that any of you are. But if you say what is the point in anything because eventually we will be dead. If you look at it like that what is the point in anything because how many billion years from now the earth won't exist we will all be gone, I think thats a great shame all the planets history and no-one would ever know all that had happened here so many billion years ago.

I think people are entitled to there own beliefs, my opinion is that religion may have been created to explain the thing that were unexplainable so many thousand years ago, now we have science and no need for God. Now people believe in God because of their own insecurities about their own existance, or perhaps to meet the need to belong to something rather than believing that there is nothing. An interesting experiment would be to raise a bunch of kid away from religious teachings, or perhaps exposing them to several religions and then seeing what happens. I believe that many children wouldn't believe in God if they hadn't had a religious upbringing where they have had no choice.

Reincarnation I have the biggest problem with, its like people have their blinkers on. I take it that if you believe oin reincarnation that you are excepting that there is no life out there in the universe whatsoever..?? Because IF (because i'm sure we don't) we do can reincarnated why would be get limited to this planet for rebirth..?? IF you think we are only limited to this earth for rebirth then what happens when the planet is eventually destroyed? When happens everything comes to an end? Does reincarnation stop? And how do you explain the fact that we have an ever expanding population?

ReputationRep:
    For course nobody can be 100% sure what happens. but I think that all we need to remember is that death is just as natural as life and not to be scared of it.

To quote Robbie Williams lol I kno.

"i'm not scared of dieing, I just don't want to"

ReputationRep:
    If there was no death there would be no aim to life, people would have nothing they wanted to acheive, because they would think there was an infinite amount of time to do it, and so wouldn't bother with anything.

ReputationRep:
    Death itself isn't scary to me but the idea of dying incredibly painfully kinda scares me.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.