The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Wow..just 3 marks in it.
Good thing there wasn't anything on PLANT HORMONES!!!! hahahha!
Reply 2
that is lowww...u can afford to lose 13 marks and still get A! i did those synoptic papers and got 33 first time without revision...just what i could remember off the top of my head. i think this year the broundaires will go up cos it was so easy...unless alot of ppl didnt do so good...that will be even better for me!
Reply 3
umm, mate just coz u found it easy doesnt mean that it was easy.. people on this forum are on average much cleverer than the average alevel student. And as this forum only represents a very tiny minority of the total alevel student body, the opinions of those here are, well just opinions ..! you got 33 first time, good on you, but how does that effect any one else? ^_~
Reply 4
yeh ya right about us not being a gd rep..
but remember it's all relative....so if we found it 'easy' other pple r most to do a TINY bit better aswell, even if it means they get a D instead of an E...
but.who know...ust have to wait til..the 18th august>???
It never ceases to amaze me how low those grade boundaries are. One thing I've learnt though is that the grade boundaries don't appear to change all that much year on year even though some papers I 'felt' were harder. Edexcel is probably doing a good job at balancing out the papers, or either somebody's rigging the marks :biggrin: Not that I can complain.
Reply 6
DmAsTeR
that is lowww...u can afford to lose 13 marks and still get A! i did those synoptic papers and got 33 first time without revision...just what i could remember off the top of my head. i think this year the broundaires will go up cos it was so easy...unless alot of ppl didnt do so good...that will be even better for me!

I'll say though that the synoptic is marked so much harder than the other units. Cos when we did our mocks I didn't do too badly in Unit 6 - scraping an A, but Unit 5 we all bombed. We marked the first few questions ourselves and were like ok so i didn't do as well as i thought but hey i still scraped a B, got a C kinda thing.
And then Caroline went back over them and was like nope. D. E . FAIL

Things like defining "multiple allele inheritance"
I something along the lines of the characteristic is coded for by a single gene, but that there are severalalleles.

Sound alright to you?
Nope you HAVE to say 2 or more or no marks

And in describing the structure of glycogen the marking points were that it is made of glucose monomers joined together by glycosidic bonds (1)
And that the 1-4 bonds make a straight chain of glucose (2)
And that the 1-6 bonds create a new side branch of glucose (3)

So to get each mark you have to mention the glucose again and again and again.

Even if you've got a good memory if you haven't done really good revision i don't see how you can score so highly on such a pedantic paper.
Reply 7
......................that is so stupid
why wud they wana do that....exams r meant to b a test of knowledge....not 'how well can u reguitate info from your textbook'
n tbh, i personally dun feel exams r 'fair' overall..its juss sumtin we have to do..i mean a A student cud be hafing a real bad day etc in 1 of her /his papers...n that woudl ruin everything...
n wat if a 'not so gd' student jus decided he wasnt going to revise n looked at a few topics..n those topics came up........he wud do well..coz of luck....
but asss the oldd saying..lifes unfair..=P
Reply 8
O btw bekaboo
what did caroline think of the paper overall,well i eman her comments bout it. n e insights?
^^
Reply 9
thanks for the grade boundaries bekaboo.....they're quite low =)
and i can't believe there were no genetic crosses in unit 5 or 6!!!
Reply 10
I know i was really mad about the crosses too!!
I haven't spoken to Caroline yet - it's work experience at our school this week so she's been out checking on all the year 10s
But i've gotta go in on Monday to return textbooks and that so if i can find her then i'll ask her

While the pedanticness of the markscheme irritates me too it's more of a case that you have to have the RIGHT answer - not something that is a bit vaguer... *shrugs* it sucks but it's life - at least the grade boundaries are lowered to reflect that

Latest

Trending

Trending