Turn on thread page Beta

Religious Studies A2 - an academic subject, yea or nay? watch

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I didn't put this in the P + RS forum because I thought that'd be a bit of a biased place to ask this question. :p:

I'm applying for Medicine next year, and have as of this week, finished AS levels. I was doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Religious Studies. I plan to drop Maths and continue Biology, Chemistry and Religious Studies, and maybe pick up something else for an AS.

Thing is, most Universities (with the exception of the Oxbridge lot) only require Chemistry (and in most cases Biology). The third one is left pretty much undefined.

How is Religious Studies viewed by universities, in particular Medical Schools? There's a large chunk of ethical thinking in there, practical ethics, so is it looked upon well for that, or is somewhat dismissed?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, it's considered as a traditional academic subject; after all, the subjects that are seen as 'mickey mouse' tend to be new and not commonly taught at GCSE, neither of which applies to religious studies. Some of my friends do it and it looks really hard! Plus a lot of medical schools welcome applications from those with a bit of breadth to their studies, ie not all sciences.

ReputationRep:
    Religious Studies is definitely one of the traditional subjects. It has been afround for many, many years and is seen as a very reputable and worthwhile rigorous academic disciplinne (of the same ilk as Philosophy) so go for it! I would say religious views and ideas on ethics and things such as euthanasia etc. would be extemely relevant to entering the medical profession. I would say that doctors come up against allsorts of religious issues on a daily basis.

ReputationRep:
    I've done AS and A2 Religious Studies (last exam, synoptic on Wednesday! woohoo rock on peace out boys and girls!). It is an academic, traditional subject. I think some people frown on it or label it easy, but I've found it probably more challenging than English, History and Psychology. There are some very difficult concepts to get your head around. It requires a lot of thinking. I loved it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stumbleines)
    First of all, I didn't put this in the P + RS forum because I thought that'd be a bit of a biased place to ask this question. :p:

I'm applying for Medicine next year, and have as of this week, finished AS levels. I was doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Religious Studies. I plan to drop Maths and continue Biology, Chemistry and Religious Studies, and maybe pick up something else for an AS.

Thing is, most Universities (with the exception of the Oxbridge lot) only require Chemistry (and in most cases Biology). The third one is left pretty much undefined.

How is Religious Studies viewed by universities, in particular Medical Schools? There's a large chunk of ethical thinking in there, practical ethics, so is it looked upon well for that, or is somewhat dismissed?
    I think medical schools would actually consider it a good decision to take A2 Religious Studies instead of Maths. It shows you've got more to your personality than just a logic geek, and you could discuss in your Personal Statement how the medical philosophical concepts looked at in A2 RS have helped to further/deepen your interests in medical ethics etc etc.

Go for it! RS will add some diversity to your A2 timetable, instead of just all maths/sciences.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Yeah roadkill is right. At a philosophy conference Peter Vardy talked about how medical students often take ethics/religious studies as it gives them an 'edge'. Apparently the medical profession can be pretty taxing on your lifestyle so understanding it well helps.

ReputationRep:
    What do you do in lessons, pray?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeFen)
    What do you do in lessons, pray?
    Shut the **** up.

ReputationRep:
    Chill out, I was jesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeFen)
    Chill out, I was jesting
    Lol, fair enough, I kinda knew that anyway but it just irritates me because so so many people have -ve attitudes towards Religious Studies at both GCSE and A-level. Loads of people have said to me "Why do you do that?!?!" and I'm like, "why the hell do you do Food tecnology?!".

_____

I think RS is seriously underestimated and it's not all God, God, God - it's the most diverse subject I've ever taken in school.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to disagree, I study religious studies (OCR) along with physics, maths, furthers maths and chemistry and it is by far the easiest subject. Friends who study art combinations such as religious studies, english and history also agree that it is by far the easiest subject. It requires little to no revision assuming you have grasped the discipline of thinking freely and have learned the name of the odd philosopher. It is marked so liberally that it's a joke.

However, I think that it still earns as much respect as other 'traditional subjects'. I do not feel it holds the same worth as a pure subject; instead of gaining understanding people learn to put the rhetoric answer on an exam scroll and do not learn how to think freely as you are not encouraged to deviate from what is already prescribed as 'the truth'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    Lol, fair enough, I kinda knew that anyway but it just irritates me because so so many people have -ve attitudes towards Religious Studies at both GCSE and A-level. Loads of people have said to me "Why do you do that?!?!" and I'm like, "why the hell do you do Food tecnology?!".

_____

I think RS is seriously underestimated and it's not all God, God, God - it's the most diverse subject I've ever taken in school.
    I agree. It is seriously underestimated.

I did RE as well, I agree that it is a good subject and like you, I hate the ****ing stigma attached to it. "RE is a mickey mouse subject because all you learn about is God" - when that is not what it is about!

The A2 part of RE is very poltical, as well as historical in yes, a religious sort of way. But all in all, as a subject its relevence is of the same magnitude as its counterparts - politics, & history. As afterall, many of the modern day conflicts that are currently taking place in the world are of a religious nature.

In contrast to my comment above, I have to agree with led zep, in comparison to a subject like maths - RE is just piss easy. But if we were going to go down that road, it could be said that history/politics/psychology are also all piss easy in comparison to a subject like maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stumbleines)

Well St Andrews and Edinburgh university have given me a conditional offer with RE included and I have applied for computer science - so it cant be a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopnig to take Religious Studies AS Level next year (depending on my GCSE results). I am also taking English and ICT (Double Award). I believe it adds diversity to my timetable and provides an identh-study into more issues than most people realise. I have to say that right now it looks really complicated, but hopefully it will be ok! I'm sure I heardrecently from somewhere that it is something like the 3rd most sought-aftercourse at Cambridge University (I'm not sure if that's correct, though - it seems a little too high!)

ReputationRep:
    I have offers for Cambridge & Bristol (albeit to read English Lit) but I studied RS to A2 and it was pretty engaging. The medical ethics section of the AS would be particularly useful and relevant for medics. I'd encourage anyone who can think to study RS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shauncouldstone)
    I'm hopnig to take Religious Studies AS Level next year (depending on my GCSE results). I am also taking English and ICT (Double Award). I believe it adds diversity to my timetable and provides an identh-study into more issues than most people realise. I have to say that right now it looks really complicated, but hopefully it will be ok! I'm sure I heardrecently from somewhere that it is something like the 3rd most sought-aftercourse at Cambridge University (I'm not sure if that's correct, though - it seems a little too high!)
    I strongly advice you not to take a Double award in ICT - ICT is a very very irrelevent/boring subject. From doing single AL ICT, all we did was work with MS office, Access - which is all rather boring. I have heard in AVCE , you learn how to create web sites etc, which is fun (as I do it in my spare time but in all fairness irrelevent as you can learn it easily in your spare time)

I also must warn you that doing ICT at AVCE/Alevel doing 50-100+ page coursework's will be a standard procedure. So be warned.

Oh yeah, btw AL ICT is not an easy subject to get an A in due to its sheer dryness. The examiners are so strict when giving marks, even if you write what they are looking for, chances are they will not give you the marks unless it is worded exactly like it is from a text book.

ReputationRep:
    I did RS at A2 Level, and currently hold an AAA offer to do philosophy at Cambridge. At no point did they look down upon the subject at interview. Comparing RS to maths I think is an irrelevance - the skills demanded in both subjects differ drastically. RS emphasis on the flexibility of mind and argument, arguing an essay well through, expressing yourself well, applying concepts laterally, I would say differ a bit from the mathematical approach. A lot of the concepts to be grasped in RS are fantastic and also can be quite tricky, at least if you want to get a high-level A. Basically, universities don't do RS down, so if it's something you want to study it should not undermine the strengths of your application. Indeed, if you are looking to be a medic, because of the heavy weighting of practical ethics in the RS course (it's more than even in the Philosophy A-Level) you may have an advantage; especially if you're picking it over another humanities subject (Geography, English, History for example). Definitely, it would sharpen your mind for medical ethics interviews....

ReputationRep:
    I took A2 RS too, last exam tomorrow, wahoo!! But i have to admit I really enjoyed it, if you want to be challenged to think then this is the subject for you, although you may have more questions to problems than when you started, and even fewer answers!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.