Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just finished GCSEs, got to decide which English to do for A-level. Which English do you guys think is better to do for A-level? My college offer English Lit, English Language and the two combined. I'm leaning towards English Language but which would be better to do?

ReputationRep:
    depends on your grades and how much you like creative writing or reading and analysing texts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blur303)
    Just finished GCSEs, got to decide which English to do for A-level. Which English do you guys think is better to do for A-level? My college offer English Lit, English Language and the two combined. I'm leaning towards English Language but which would be better to do?
    Well in my view it has to be English Literature I absolutely love it and it's really laid back and nice. My friends are taking both and are all dropping Language after their first year because they found it dull. It's definitely not all creative writing, but again it's up to you, it depends also on what syllabus your course is on... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have almost finished A2 Eng Lang exams.
    The AS part of the course is very simple, you study interaction, male/female interaction and status, and a bit of acquisition. It is easy to get a top mark at AS Lang without putting much effort in.
    It also depends whether or not you like coursework. Only Eng Lang includes coursework in the assessment, which is 15% of the total mark...

ReputationRep:
    Only English Language that has coursework modules? I have coursework in my English Literature; I think I do Edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you're interested in. Be aware that from what I've heard, A-level English language is nothing like GCSE, whereas English lit is pretty much the same thing, just at a higher level. I think in language, you study things like how people acquire language, dialects, speech patterns and things like that, as well as a bit of creative writing and a personal investigation. English lit is just reading and analysing texts. And if you like the sound of both of those, go for combined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yelwalkietalkie)
    Only English Language that has coursework modules? I have coursework in my English Literature; I think I do Edexcel.
    Yep, I'm with Edexcel and there's coursework both at AS and at A2.

ReputationRep:
    I've always found english lit easier. for one thing its definitely easier to assess how well you think you are doin, iv always believed lang is too 'reader dependent'.

ReputationRep:
    English Language A level is ace! The last paper, the synoptic, is well worth the wait of 2 years of intense analysis (and some of it is quite snore-worthy. You might develop a hatred for the auxiliary verb for instance). A part of it concerns language change from old to middle english through to modern english, which means you get to justify reading a range of texts from Beowulf to Virginia Woolf under the pretence (or reality..) of linguistic research. Another module of Elang A level is spoken language, and there are endless possibilities with the coursework - I chose to analyze a Nick Drake album! If you can, take it as well as English Literature A level, because some of the assessment objective's intertwine. English language is basically the 'psychology' of English Literature, and it really does enhace your appreciation of the writer as an artist.

Be warned - it is nothing like english language gcse....actually, thinking of that, I can't believe they had the audacity to call such a paper 'english language'. Of all the A levels it's probably the biggest step-up from gcse, but very rewarding nevertheless.

Most universities favour English Literature. However, for personal enjoyment, and to heighten your analytical skills, you might benefit from taking english language too.

ReputationRep:
    English Language A2 is not at all like GCSE, but I absolutely love it! I have just finished A2 lit and A2 lang, and I think lang is a lot better than lit and more interesting. You cover a wide range of topics.
    At AS you learn: about grammar (this is the boring part of the course), child language, language and gender and then you get to carry out your own investigation for the coursework part.
    A2: Language change, accents and dialects, taboo lang, develop grammar and again cousework were you get to choose. Whats good about the coursework at A2 is that you can choose to focus on a topic you looked at in AS. Maybe record interactions between male and females and analyse it (my choice) or analyse different types of writing etc
    English Lang is brilliant it is like studying a whole new topic, as you get to learn something which you have probably never touched upon before. I have enjoyed it much more than lit and am hoping to do a degree in it
    Lit AS/2 is really not that much different to GCSE. Good luck with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blur303)
    Literature is really good! If you are thinking of doing an english type degree all the good unis say that lit is essential and most don't bother about language, some will take combined however. So it may be a good idea to look at a few prospectus' on possible degree courses!

ReputationRep:
    Some aspects of English Lang I love, whilst others I hate. Alot of it seems like comman sense which I suppose isn't a bad thing. However, there's quite a lot of technical labelling that comes with the course that I struggled to remember at first, but as the course went on I became more focused and was able to. I can't counter it with Lit, though.

I really enjoyed the courseworks for the course, especially the creative writing option at AS (AQA). I tend to do a lot better at coursework than exams too, so I'm glad this course offers it.

ReputationRep:
    I do combined and get the best of both worlds! Really like english its good but it depends on your natural talents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -xsarahx-)
    I do combined and get the best of both worlds! Really like english its good but it depends on your natural talents.
    :dito:. I do lit/lang combined and agree with you! You get to do all the fun lit stuff, as well as things like creative writing for coursework. And to the person saying that good unis don't accept it, that's rubbish. A few annoying places (*cough* Warwick) don't like it, but most are fine. I managed to get 5 offers!

ReputationRep:
    I do A2 english lit/lang combined, and although its quite easy to acheive an A for your coursework, it can be pretty demanding sometimes- mainly the units with the lit emphasis.

ReputationRep:
    I do the both combined course with AQA..it is good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    :dito:. I do lit/lang combined and agree with you! You get to do all the fun lit stuff, as well as things like creative writing for coursework. And to the person saying that good unis don't accept it, that's rubbish. A few annoying places (*cough* Warwick) don't like it, but most are fine. I managed to get 5 offers!
    I think it's language on its own that a lot of unis won't accept, as opposed to the combined course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I think it's language on its own that a lot of unis won't accept, as opposed to the combined course.
    Yeah, which is understandable if you're applying for lit like I did. Nottingham accept it, but most other places don't unless you want to do linguistics or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    as well as things like creative writing for coursework.
    We dont have coursework because our teacher doesn't like marking it!!!! :rolleyes: But no i would recommend combined, when you quote things from lit plays you're expected to comment on the lang and stuff, basically, it gives you a broader scope on the subject...and is interesting!

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking do to it for uni, I'd say lit. as first choice, then combined, then lang.
    But like people have said, it depends what you're interested in at the end of the day I do both separately and my uni offers all just said an A in Lit., apart from Manchester which said 'ABB' including an A in Lit. and B in Lang, although I assume that's because I applied for joint honours with Linguistics.
    If you're a reasonably clever person though, you may find you get stuck in a class of people who work at a frustratingly slow pace for Language (and I'm not exaggerating here, imagine covering the same area 3 times only to have your classmates say they've never done it before just a week later). However, Lit. seems to attract 'better' people (or maybe it's just a subject people find easier to grasp, I don't know).

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.