The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
deej2
Hi dudes and dudettes!
Anyway, to the point. I have realised that amongst my friends the French arent the most popular of people, so I wondered, how many people dislike or hate the french, and why.

No.
Reply 2
I don't have anything against the French, although they do seem to hate my country :smile: I think they've forgotten what all we did for them...

I think judging an entire country (be it the U.S. or France or any country) is stupid.. you shouldn't stereotype and then claim to "hate" someone just because of where they're from. :smile: It gets annoying when people call the French "arrogant" or Americans "fat and rich" because maybe some people in those countries are like that, but not all of them.
well the country's okay, but would be nicer without the people - the food's good...
Reply 4
lesser weevil
well the country's okay, but would be nicer without the people - the food's good...

I think the country's great, the food is great and the people are some of the nicest Ive ever met! I don't understand why so many people don't like them!
Reply 5
I don't like their language.

Bloody masculine and feminine forms...
Reply 6
deej2
I think the country's great, the food is great and the people are some of the nicest Ive ever met! I don't understand why so many people don't like them!

Because there are many narrow people in this country, who make unfounded judgements based on ridiculous stereotypes and misconceptions. And we wonder why the rest of Europe hates us...
Reply 7
Amanda
I don't have anything against the French

Why did you go for the dislike option then?
Reply 8
Raindance
Because there are many narrow people in this country, who make unfounded judgements based on ridiculous stereotypes and misconceptions. And we wonder why the rest of Europe hates us...

Are you referring to the survey which found the UK to be the most hated people in Europe? I found that quite understandable, Im getting out of the UK as soon as possible.
Reply 9
deej2
the people are some of the nicest Ive ever met!

I think they're nice to who they want to be nice to... my history teacher told our class about two of her nieces-- who are not the stereotypical Americans, being neither fat, rich, or arrogant-- who went touring through Europe, and when they went to France the people were rude and wouldn't even talk to them.. but people in the rest of Europe were nice... :confused:
Reply 10
deej2
Why did you go for the dislike option then?

Because they seem to me like the type that will be rude to others with no legitimate reason to back it up.
Reply 11
deej2
Are you referring to the survey which found the UK to be the most hated people in Europe? I found that quite understandable, Im getting out of the UK as soon as possible.

*Edit: thought you said "the world for some reason".

Whilst I don't find that surprising, I do find it rather unjustified.
Reply 12
deej2

A number of things. They don't hate the british personally, and will be welcoming and greet you with smiles when you come and stay, but they can't understand us; even though they're far more interested in an insight into our country than we are into theirs.
Reply 13
Amanda
I think they're nice to who they want to be nice to...

Maybe.
I must say though, that I try and speak the language of the country I am in when talking to "the locals". Although French is my forte! (well one of them!)
I like them - especially the language
Reply 15
Raindance
A number of things. They don't hate the british personally, and will be welcoming and greet you with smiles when you come and stay, but they can't understand us; even though they're far more interested in an insight into our country than we are into theirs.

Ah, the way it was reported when I heard it, it sounded as though we were hated. IMHO the majority of the British still have the opinion that everyone should speak English, and therefore dont make a huge effort, also, we are quite uncultured, not many cinemas show foreign films near me, apart from The Trafford Centre, but they are manily Bollywood films.
Reply 16
deej2
Maybe.
I must say though, that I try and speak the language of the country I am in when talking to "the locals". Although French is my forte! (well one of them!)

Bang on, that's the secret. As soon as you make an effort, they'll open up, even though they'll just speak english back to you. Last thing they want is to be bellowed at by an ignorant American/Brit, which justifies their views on us being an pretentious, whining little country, without the guts to chose between Europe and America. As far as they see it, the sooner we join the Euro, the better. Indeed, that's among the first question they'll ask you: 'what is your opinion on joining the euro?'
I have nothing against the French, i hope the French have nothing against me. I find no reaosn to hate them. i n fact I think France is a wonderful place, inhabited by people just like you or me who are laid back enough to be pleasant but strict enough to have a country that works (unlike ours.)
Reply 18
At the risk of an abundance of negative repuation, generally you would find that Europe (France and Germany in particular) hate the English to a much higher extent than they hate the Scots, Welsh and N. Irish.
Raindance
Indeed, that's among the first question they'll ask you: 'what is your opinion on joining the euro?'

That and "Do you live in Old Trafford?"

Latest

Trending

Trending