Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against the French people, but i absolutely hate President Chirac, he's so pompus!!

ReputationRep:
    so jessicarabbit, why do you hate the French?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't say I 'like' the French as such but I do respect them. Far more than I respect the English. You have to generalise to make statements like that of course.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the French because I blame them for WW2: Versaille, invasion of the Ruhr, how they neglected to extend the impenaterable Maginon Line along the Belgium border (stupid t**ts), and I'm sure there's more.

Also, they're an ungrateful bunch. After giving the French army and De Gaulle refuge on the Isle of Wight and liberating their country, they had the cheek to refuse us entry into the new European project.

After the end of WW2 and arguably the collapse of the European empires, they fought terrible wars in Africa to try and keep power. Oh yeah and a country called Vietnam was left in chaos thanks to the French.

They still think they are a significant power now. The failure to get a second resolution was due to French interests in Iraqi oil, and they had the cheek to say America was going there for the oil, which incidently is now at record high prices.

Their desire to protect French farmers using the EU and their refusal to open the markets of the EU causes millions of deaths across Africa. They've even used us as the European scapegoat (the rebate) to hide the crisis that resulted from their No vote.

And apparently they smell of garlic!

ReputationRep:
    Ooops voted for the wrong option. I have no opinion really, my view is fairly neutral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John82)
    I hate the French because I blame them for WW2: Versaille, invasion of the Ruhr, how they neglected to extend the impenaterable Maginon Line along the Belgium border (stupid t**ts), and I'm sure there's more.

Also, they're an ungrateful bunch. After giving the French army and De Gaulle refuge on the Isle of Wight and liberating their country, they had the cheek to refuse us entry into the new European project.

After the end of WW2 and arguably the collapse of the European empires, they fought terrible wars in Africa to try and keep power. Oh yeah and a country called Vietnam was left in chaos thanks to the French.

They still think they are a significant power now. The failure to get a second resolution was due to French interests in Iraqi oil, and they had the cheek to say America was going there for the oil, which incidently is now at record high prices.

Their desire to protect French farmers using the EU and their refusal to open the markets of the EU causes millions of deaths across Africa. They've even used us as the European scapegoat (the rebate) to hide the crisis that resulted from their No vote.

And apparently they smell of garlic!

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

Did some wee french general not think, 'we have built this massive defence line across the national border, but eh do you think we should cover Belgium? think we should.' - nah nah, **** that, let's not built it further, those friggin German headcases won't bother attacking Belgium and every other tiny nation. Did he think 'let's throw Europe into turmoil!' - your right, versaille was at the behest of the French and the Ruhr was the worst possible thing that could ever have been done at that time. Then the white flag gets waved straight away.

From De Gaulle to Chirac - *****.

**** France - keep the rebate, keep the pound (while it's economically sound) and built a new Europe of economics and prosperity. We do not want a political union.

ReputationRep:
    I personally love the French in general - their culture, the French people I have spoken to, the country, the food, even the language (despite the fact I'm cursing it now, blimmin' A levels!). Ok so they can be pretty conservative, but I quite like most French people like that once they get talking.

Judging a whole nation on its history is not only illogical but just plain unfair. Most coutries have done some pretty bad things in the past (or even the present, the UK arguably isn't one who can get high and mighty about war at the moment!), and a country's political decisions bear no real relation to the personality of its people.

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciara)
    Judging a whole nation on its history is not only illogical but just plain unfair. Most coutries have done some pretty bad things in the past
    EXACTLY
    Look at what we did, we used slaves to further our own economic structure. We exploited children in the mills and chimneys. Women didnt have the vote until after WWI.

We have a bad history aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    EXACTLY
    Look at what we did, we used slaves to further our own economic structure. We exploited children in the mills and chimneys. Women didnt have the vote until after WWI.

The French did the same and continued to do so after we stopped. So did the USA, actually, and British seizure of slavers registered in the US or France was a major source of tension between the countries.

The French were also guilty of the exploitation of children and didn't give women the vote until 1944...

Your arguments there are a little invalid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Bang on, that's the secret. As soon as you make an effort, they'll open up, even though they'll just speak english back to you. Last thing they want is to be bellowed at by an ignorant American/Brit, which justifies their views on us being an pretentious, whining little country, without the guts to chose between Europe and America.
    I couldn't agree more. Making an effort makes all the difference! I lived in France for a year and loved it - the people were friendly, the language is beautiful... The only problem I had was with the food, since I'm more or less vegetarian. I did try snails though (all in the interests of sampling another culture, you understand). And I really miss all the lovely crêperies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    EXACTLY

And we were amongst the first to get rid of all of the above. Therefore although we acknowledge the difficulties in development, we should be rightly proud.

France is a dull country and their food isn't half as good as they like to think. Moreover, they are a pompous and ignorant people who lack honesty and loyalty. They used their empire solely for exploitation - at least British Imperialism had some ideological basis.

Since 1903, their government has denied us Scotsmen our agreed status under the Auld Alliance to French citizenship.

I respect them to a certain extent, but generally I dislike the French. I dislike a lot of other people far more than them though.

ReputationRep:
    Stop being so sterotypical.

ReputationRep:
    ive never been to france, and i dont know many french people.

i guess they are just as nice as anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    im learning the language now, really interesting.

even objects r classified as 'male n female', and perfum belongs to ' male' :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerry41)
    im learning the language now, really interesting.

even objects r classified as 'male n female', and perfum belongs to ' male' :confused:
    a lot of languages are like that.

ReputationRep:
    never met a french person so a cant say nothin bout them :p: xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesser weevil)
    well the country's okay, but would be nicer without the people - the food's good...
    What an absolute stupid thing to write. Im French and a country is nothing without its people. So really you're contradicting yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Don't have anything against the people, they seem nice.
    As a nation though, they don't have a great political history with the UK. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I am a massive Francophile. I love the people, the food, the countryside, the way of life, the language... don't especially like the president (the crook) but then again our political leader isn't so hot either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    Hi dudes and dudettes!
    Anyway, to the point. I have realised that amongst my friends the French arent the most popular of people, so I wondered, how many people dislike or hate the french, and why.
    Oi you better watch out. I don't want to hear anything overly anti-French on here or you'll see what I'll do to "you rosbifs".

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.