Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Don't particularly like the French on the whole. However the ladies are quite nice... Well until we get more personal I suppose...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, their language sucks!

ReputationRep:
    Noone can hate a whole nation. Anyone who says they do has earnt themselves some neg rep.

ReputationRep:
    S***...just realised...Im not spending 2 weeks neg repping people.

I guess Ill choose a lucky few... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    At the risk of an abundance of negative repuation, generally you would find that Europe (France and Germany in particular) hate the English to a much higher extent than they hate the Scots, Welsh and N. Irish.
    Wrong. The only reason they dislike the non-English Brits is because they don't even know the difference between British and English. They have trouble identifying their enemy so when someone says "I'm not English" then they get all confused and think "then I don't hate you that much". Historically the hatred is English/French since the Auld alliance united Scotland and France on the sole fact that they both hated England but what the French have grown to "hate" is Britain, not England.

It's like going to the US where they think that British=English so often you'll have Americans saying "My ancestors aren't British, they're Scottish (or Welsh, Scotch Irish)". Very confused indeed...

ReputationRep:
    I currently work for a french ferry company out of the uk - I'm the only english crewmember onboard - I find the french like any other nationality - there are good and bad everywhere. Generally though, they have accepted me and are really nice and genuine people. Especially if you show a little respect and make an ATTEMPT at speaking their language - isn't that just basic good manners? They really appreciate that.
    Plus they throw one HELL of a party!!!

ReputationRep:
    But do they make you tuck in to Frog Salad during your lunch break?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    Plus they throw one HELL of a party!!!
    hmm most countries claim to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    But do they make you tuck in to Frog Salad during your lunch break?
    you may find this hard to believe - but the french DO eat steak and chips. Plus the crew get free wine 24/7.
    Joking apart - there's always an "english-style" alternative - as most of the passengers are from our side of the channel. I mean - what do we have to offer THEM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    hmm most countries claim to do that.
    fair comment - but I'm talking "crew" parties. Ever seen a four-striper dressed as a french maid?

ReputationRep:
    Frogs legs and snails are eaten in the north-west of France. close to the UK. which might be why they have such a stupid reputation.

How many of you eat scones every day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Frogs legs and snails are eaten in the north-west of France. close to the UK. which might be why they have such a stupid reputation.

How many of you eat scones every day?
    that's true - but to judge people by their MENU? That's insane!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Bloody rosbifs! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Yes. Bloody rosbifs! :rolleyes:
    .........that's TWO "ffs'" in "rosbiff".......

ReputationRep:
    i wont dignify that comment with a response.

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    fair comment - but I'm talking "crew" parties. Ever seen a four-striper dressed as a french maid?
    The French have a strange affection for cross-dressing, which worries me every time I see it. They seem to think it's the funniest thing ever.

ReputationRep:
    Great generalisation. Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the french as much as i do americans, or germans, or something. Only as a vast generalisation of their character and personality traits. I think its more accurate to say that i hate france, as a culture, the same way i hate america as a culture.

ReputationRep:
    what about French culture do you "hate"?

ReputationRep:
    I love the French, I love France, I go there a lot, I want a house there.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.