Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    The French have a strange affection for cross-dressing, which worries me every time I see it. They seem to think it's the funniest thing ever.
    Again, fair comment if that's your opinion, which merits respect. I have to say, however, that the only difference I've noticed between "brits" and "french" at costume parties is that the french are totally unreserved - they go for it big time - whereas the "brits" seem to me to be far too self-concious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Great generalisation. Idiot.
    Thanks if idiocy is knowing a country well and its national character. We might as well say that we can't talk about any country's national character because that would be making generalisations. Like saying Americans usually stick a US flag in their garden or Andalucians enjoy Flamenco. No! That would be generalising.

ReputationRep:
    what about French culture do you "hate"?
    Well it seems to be very egotistical, lazy and self centered, rather arrogant, and narrow minded, to put it bluntly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru)
    Well it seems to be very egotistical, lazy and self centered, rather arrogant, and narrow minded, to put it bluntly.
    so basically it's like Little England.

ReputationRep:
    I remember you're half french now!

so am i.

Are you seriously suggesting that cross dressing is part of France's cultural identity?! :rolleyes:

if anything they can be a bit macho.

ReputationRep:
    Do you read the daily Mail Eru?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    so basically it's like Little England.
    Quite a bit, thinking about it actually, though not to the same extreme.

ReputationRep:
    Do you read the daily Mail Eru?
    Not a chance, i'm a guardian reader. I know that generalisations are wrong, but thats what this question asks about, and thats what i'm giving. I know most french people may not be like that (i, in fact, have met french people who aren't like that, but have also met those who are), but that is how they are seen, and it is also how they seem to behave.

ReputationRep:
    all of this generalising is ridiculous. how can you claim to dislike or even hate a whole nation? pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anneli86)
    all of this generalising is ridiculous. how can you claim to dislike or even hate a whole nation? pathetic.
    Its hating the 'identity' of these nations, the same way as you could hate an individual with the same personality traits.

ReputationRep:
    I remember you're half french now!

so am i.

Are you seriously suggesting that cross dressing is part of France's cultural identity?! :rolleyes:

if anything they can be a bit macho.
    I went to a French Uni... the initiation involved cross-dressing and pretty much every single student event had a guy dressed up as a girl. I've been to parties with guys dressed up as women. Maybe I am not so unreserved because of that but I don't quite get the enjoyment that can be had from cross-dressing.

Um, I'm not saying that this reflects reality but the stereotype of the Frenchman is more of a gay man wearing a fisherman's striped pullover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anneli86)
    That was my original point, and remains the best one.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.