Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone else doing this? any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Nah our bio department is really against people doing it for some reason :confused:
    They can't test you on anything not on the A-level syllabi - it's just harder questions and less time. So don't panic - you DO know the answer!!

ReputationRep:
    still panicking.... the biology one is so much harder than the Chemistry one!

ReputationRep:
    thats what i thought!! are u doin both then? (like me),you're doing the same a levels as me i see

ReputationRep:
    I realy do not want to do it any more. My examination officer is laoughing at me all the way as I will be the only person to sit morning exam (alone in a big examination hall) and then after 3 hours of that I have Physic exam in the afternoon. And he keep telling me that it is such a waste of mine and his time :/. Is there any good reason for doing AEA?

ReputationRep:
    just out of interest, how much do exams cost? e.g. per module, or per AEA?

ReputationRep:
    im doing physics in the afternoon too! nuclear and particle, u? thankfully two others are doing AEA with me

ReputationRep:
    I am doing AQA B module 5 (I think it is fieds or sth like that, it is a scary synoptic peaper anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    I realy do not want to do it any more. My examination officer is laoughing at me all the way as I will be the only person to sit morning exam (alone in a big examination hall) and then after 3 hours of that I have Physic exam in the afternoon. And he keep telling me that it is such a waste of mine and his time :/. Is there any good reason for doing AEA?
    Yes. It's a challenge and it'll stretch you. And you might find you enjoy the essay at the end too - mine was quite an interesting topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    just out of interest, how much do exams cost? e.g. per module, or per AEA?
    Well it depends on how late you enter but if you enter for June exams by about March the 15th its £12 per regular module
    After that the price goes up to £24
    And then there's another deadline which is really only for if you've entered for the wrong exams, or not been entered, or something's gone wrong or the school decides to put you in for the AEA with about 2 weeks notice when it's £36 :eek:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Well it depends on how late you enter but if you enter for June exams by about March the 15th its £12 per regular module
    After that the price goes up to £24
    And then there's another deadline which is really only for if you've entered for the wrong exams, or not been entered, or something's gone wrong or the school decides to put you in for the AEA with about 2 weeks notice when it's £36 :eek:
    :rolleyes:
    thanks for the info.

thats why the school is so reluctant to let me sit these AEAs and do AS retakes.... whilst they put everyone in for General Studies even though most people just fail the exams delibrately!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Bio AEA as well..

I've checked the specification for it and as Bekaboo said it's all things that we have covered in A level so shouldn't be too bad.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen a Bio paper only a German one, but i read up in year 12 cos i wanted to do it
    But like i said - more in depth questions, less time to do them but don't panic!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    I've never seen a Bio paper only a German one, but i read up in year 12 cos i wanted to do it
    But like i said - more in depth questions, less time to do them but don't panic!!
    Do you know by chance what the boundaries are in terms of marks or percentages to get the various Pass, Merit or Distinction?..

ReputationRep:
    62 out of 100 for a distinction
    52 for a merit
    Unfortunately the site doesn't say what the mark for a pass is

ReputationRep:
    I think there is no pass. You can either get Merit, Distincion or fail.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AEA Biology tomorrow!

I'm scared, and dreading the whole 3 hour thing... torture.

Not entirely sure why I agreed to do it, but hey there's no turning back now!

Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    im doing physics in the afternoon too! nuclear and particle, u? thankfully two others are doing AEA with me
    I'm doing Biology AEA in the morning and Nuclear and Particle in the afternoon too. Can't wait for tomorrow to be over. I have never set eyes on a Biology AEA paper, and I haven't done any revision for it either, not planning too. Spending my time on Physics as thats what is going to get me into Uni! Don't really know why I'm doing the AEA paper. Quite a few ppl were doing it, so I thought I may as well, I mean, what's there to lose? But then I realised that actually I could have another 3 hours revising for Physics. Oh well.

But I would be really grateful if someone could tell me the format of the Biology AEA paper, like are there questions you can chose to do, or is it all compulsory? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    There are 3 sections A,B,C. In A all questions are compulsory, there is a comprehension question with some boring text at the begining and the rest of questions are of the type you can see in other biology peapers. B,C are esseys there are 3 titles in each section and you have to choose one.

ReputationRep:
    There are 3 sections A,B,C. In A all questions are compulsory, there is a comprehension question with some boring text at the begining and the rest of questions are of the type you can see in other biology peapers. B,C are esseys there are 3 titles in each section and you have to choose one.
    Thanks!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 29, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.