Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm going to Durham to study maths in October, grades permitting, and I'm taking further maths at the minute. Does anyone reckon it's worth self teaching myself D1 and possibly D2 over summer? Don't know how useful they'll be at uni

Cheers - there might* be some rep in it for you!

*won't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Gee)
    Hi

I'm going to Durham to study maths in October, grades permitting, and I'm taking further maths at the minute. Does anyone reckon it's worth self teaching myself D1 and possibly D2 over summer? Don't know how useful they'll be at uni

*won't
    To be honest I really don't think it's worth teaching yourself D1 for university. They don't really compare to pure/mechanics modules though they are admittedly interesting and useful. Any discrete modules at university are likely to be much more rigorous.
    Don't be discouraged from doing some summer reading though, from what I understand learning some elementary analysis wouldn't be a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

*won't
    I totally do not recommend studying D1, its useless as its the very basics and is totally boring (quite logical), if you do want to, just get some notes of D1 of the internet and study them, its useless studying D1 in-depth from a textbook. Because D1 can be covered in condensed notes on 2 A4 pages.

D2, I would recommend, as more algebra is involved, and more algorithms, etc.

Generally, I would say doing Decision math is pointless if you do further math, because doing further math- you've seen all matrices, complex numbers, multi-variable calculus, and then doing decision math so suddenly is like taking back a step, and going back to the very basics, - and u don't want to do this.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    cheers guys - I'll just look around t'internet for some decision stuff

What kind of things do you recommend for elementary analysis - I don't really know what this is, unless I do but not by that name?

ReputationRep:
    cheers guys - I'll just look around t'internet for some decision stuff

What kind of things do you recommend for elementary analysis - I don't really know what this is, unless I do but not by that name?
    I don't know any analysis yet myself but from what I understand it's basically pure mathematics built more rigorously from the axioms up, with a focus on limits. Perhaps some of the university mathematicians can give a better definition. It is supposed to be one of the harder first year modules though.

A good website is http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~wchen/ln.html
    Obviously though it might be worth getting the recommended text for one or two of your university modules early if you're that way inclined.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

*won't
    You could teach yourself both to find out the content (so that you can talk turkey to fellow students who've done these!)...

... but, perhaps more importantly, if you've never taught yourself a module, to see what it's like!

Lots of us (inc. Gaz and me) have taught ourselves M/FM modules. It's an interesting experience.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    You could teach yourself both to find out the content (so that you can talk turkey to fellow students who've done these!)...

... but, perhaps more importantly, if you've never taught yourself a module, to see what it's like!

Lots of us (inc. Gaz and me) have taught ourselves M/FM modules. It's an interesting experience.

Aitch
    It occurs to me that a cursory study of D2 would enable you to give (with some authority) your opinion to people who tell you that balancing undergraduate grants and research fellowships is a zero-sum game...

Aitch

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 24, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.