Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    the funny thing about jesus is that even tho he was jewish, no jews actually recognise him.(i dont mean in the street, i mean as the son of God.) i think they're still waiting for the Messiah. Is that right?
    that is right. i've always wondered that as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommypip)
    Kryten
    Yeah!! That's the one. cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    He's not the messiah, he's not the messiah. He's a very naughty boy, now GO AWAY.

Sorry... monty python moment crept up on me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Well, actually, even though he practised Jewish customs, he was the Son of God, and was sent to create a NEW religion. He wasn't TECHINCALY Jewish, he was decendant from Abraham (which Jews believe is the father of the Jewish faith), and he's christians believe to be the messiah. Jews don't recognise him because they still follow the teachings of the Old Testament and don't consider the teachings of the New Testament, whereas Christians (although do recognise the Old Testament) base their faith on the teachings of Christ who came to REFORM the Jewish religion.

sorry to get all pedantic, but i had to do GSCE Religion and got my ONLY A* in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aine)
    well, if he was born in bethlhem, which is in jew-land, then OBVIOUSLY he is jewish. durr. i think jewish's do all that too. i have real problems too. *sigh* and mostly all male related. i wish i didn't have feelings. wish i was a robot, like your one from red dwarf.
    wat r ur problems then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aine)
    Well, actually, even though he practised Jewish customs, he was the Son of God, and was sent to create a NEW religion. He wasn't TECHINCALY Jewish, he was decendant from Abraham (which Jews believe is the father of the Jewish faith), and he's christians believe to be the messiah. Jews don't recognise him because they still follow the teachings of the Old Testament and don't consider the teachings of the New Testament, whereas Christians (although do recognise the Old Testament) base their faith on the teachings of Christ who came to REFORM the Jewish religion.

sorry to get all pedantic, but i had to do GSCE Religion and got my ONLY A* in it.
    Its all a lot more complicated thatn that (sorry, theology undergraduate felt she had to speak out!!!). According to the Gospel accounts, in particular the synoptic evangelists, Jesus was not sent to establish a new religion but introduce a new covenant. Major difference there!!! He also came to redefine the term 'Messiah' which at the time referred to a David-like king figure. Jesus came to introduce suffering into the meaning of the Hebraic term Messiah, or its Greek counterpart 'Christ'.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Its all a lot more complicated thatn that (sorry, theology undergraduate felt she had to speak out!!!). According to the Gospel accounts, in particular the synoptic evangelists, Jesus was not sent to establish a new religion but introduce a new covenant. Major difference there!!! He also came to redefine the term 'Messiah' which at the time referred to a David-like king figure. Jesus came to introduce suffering into the meaning of the Hebraic term Messiah, or its Greek counterpart 'Christ'.

lol. I'm actualyl quite pleased i could remeber what i could from GCSE. It's all belly belly interesting, and i hope thats cleared up any confusion as to wheather Jesus was a Jew or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aine)
    lol. I'm actualyl quite pleased i could remeber what i could from GCSE. It's all belly belly interesting, and i hope thats cleared up any confusion as to wheather Jesus was a Jew or not
    Yes Jesus was a Jew!!!! Did you know that, strictly speaking and contrary to popular opinion, Jesus in fact does not actually break any Jewish laws in Mark's Gospel???

ReputationRep:
    Yes Jesus was a Jew!!!! Did you know that, strictly speaking and contrary to popular opinion, Jesus in fact does not actually break any Jewish laws in Mark's Gospel???

aye, but the pharisee's were always really pissed at him. but they got pissed at everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aine)
    aye, but the pharisee's were always really pissed at him. but they got pissed at everyone
    Well, yes, but the Pharisees and the Sadducees were essentially Jewish cults with their own views of Jewish law. Jesus challenges their power and hierarchy but mark very carefully selects his words so as to ensure that Jesus does not strictly break any actual Jewish ritual law. Therefore it may be argues that he was a Jew in truest sense of the word. According to Mark, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Well, yes, but the Pharisees and the Sadducees were essentially Jewish cults with their own views of Jewish law. Jesus challenges their power and hierarchy but mark very carefully selects his words so as to ensure that Jesus does not strictly break any actual Jewish ritual law. Therefore it may be argues that he was a Jew in truest sense of the word. According to Mark, anyway.

Fair enough, i'm pretty ignorant about these things, but like, because he was the Son of God and all that, does that not make him ABOVE human practises such as religion ANYway? cos like, isn't he supposed to be God himself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aine)
    Fair enough, i'm pretty ignorant about these things, but like, because he was the Son of God and all that, does that not make him ABOVE human practises such as religion ANYway? cos like, isn't he supposed to be God himself?
    Well this is the big debate. Take John's Jesus for example, who is portrayed very much as a God of firebolts in a human body. I would say that this view very much shows Jesus as above human practises. Contrast that with mark's Jesus, however, who is much more human. Mark emphasises the mortality of Jesus through his suffering as the Messiah. This is an age-old argument; was Jesus a 'divine man', or God in a man's body, or was he indeed God made flesh, a true human being? I personally prefer the Markan view and find it more convincing, but many would disagree.

ReputationRep:
    I have problems *sigh*. How should i avoid emotional fluctuations??? One minute I'm on top of the world and nothing could be better and the next I'm in floods of tears and just feel awful. Don't think either Adhsur or Freeserve can help with that

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    oo, I hear my name?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    oo, I hear my name?
    yeah they need an angel to rescue them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    yeah they need an angel to rescue them

ReputationRep:
    Ok, just what is that smiley face meant to mean? I've got visions of an altar boy singing in the choir, or getting ready for the priest to erm never you mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Ok, just what is that smiley face meant to mean? I've got visions of an altar boy singing in the choir, or getting ready for the priest to erm never you mind.
    Lol!!! No I'm not a choir boy or girl. It's supposed to be an embarrassed/blushy smiley actually - I think so. But yes I see what you mean, it certainly looks a bit like...I dunno actually!

ReputationRep:
    Lol!!! No I'm not a choir boy or girl. It's supposed to be an embarrassed/blushy smiley actually - I think so. But yes I see what you mean, it certainly looks a bit like...I dunno actually!
    lol, a vivid imagination can be a curse at times hey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    lol, a vivid imagination can be a curse at times hey
    Indeed, it can. lol.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, it can. lol.
    i have thought that for a long time about that particular smiley... it's the same on the shocked one on msn... always makes me giggle

lou xxx

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.