Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is a subject somewhat dear to my heart, as I would like to see the old Borough (burgh in Scotland) and County Councils restored to their former glory and duties. The tasks of the borough councils were as follows:

Administering public services (education, health etc)
    rates - water, council, business etc
    town planning
    maintainence of buildings and water pipelines
    Sewage
    Housing

The responsibilities of the County Councils were as follows
    Country planning (and a degree of involvement in town planning)
    Maintainence and building of roads
    Public Health in the Countryside
    Maintainence of railways and building of bridges
    Water supply
    Drainage
    Countryside sewage
    Countryside rates
    Administration of Education

So how about it then?

ReputationRep:
    Im all in favour, aside form the pride aspect, I think it'll make our votes for Constiuent leaders all the more important. Local "Governments" can make local decisions on what the local community needs most. Take for example the Metrolink maintenence system in Manchester, this was halted by Downing Street when it is clearly needed to rejuvenate an aging track that has plagued passenger and neighbours to faulty sdections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fr_browne)
    Im all in favour, aside form the pride aspect, I think it'll make our votes for Constiuent leaders all the more important. Local "Governments" can make local decisions on what the local community needs most. Take for example the Metrolink maintenence system in Manchester, this was halted by Downing Street when it is clearly needed to rejuvenate an aging track that has plagued passenger and neighbours to faulty sdections.
    Exactly! It will bring power back down to a local level, and devolve responsibilities from central government.

ReputationRep:
    ...which can of course only be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    yeehah! Nice one Lord Wad. Sounds good to me.

What do parish councils do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    This is a subject somewhat dear to my heart, as I would like to see the old Borough (burgh in Scotland) and County Councils restored to their former glory and duties. The tasks of the borough councils were as follows:

Administering public services (education, health etc)
    rates - water, council, business etc
    town planning
    maintainence of buildings and water pipelines
    Sewage
    Housing

The responsibilities of the County Councils were as follows
    Country planning (and a degree of involvement in town planning)
    Maintainence and building of roads
    Public Health in the Countryside
    Maintainence of railways and building of bridges
    Water supply
    Drainage
    Countryside sewage
    Countryside rates
    Administration of Education

So how about it then?
    I'd go a lot further than that personally. I'd like to see local authorities acting far more autonimously from central government; raising taxes, passing county ordinances, paying for and training their own police forces/public works etc,.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fr_browne)
    It hasn't actually halted I believe, just that the government has refused to release central funds for it. If they could get funding from elsewhere then I believe they could upgrade it. We've been having the same problems in Liverpool in the last 2 weeks as Darling has pulled out of funding our new tram system.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to see Newcastle back in Northumberland and Sunderland back down in County Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    yeehah! Nice one Lord Wad. Sounds good to me.

What do parish councils do?
    I think that parish councils collected the rates and generally reported to the County Council on anything of concern, also supervising repairs and taking census information. Generally a community council, but with teeth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I'd go a lot further than that personally. I'd like to see local authorities acting far more autonimously from central government; raising taxes, passing county ordinances, paying for and training their own police forces/public works etc,.......
    I'm not surea about raising taxes, but the local authorities would set the rates for water charges and business rates etc. Also, I would have no problem with each county/town training its own constabulary and passing ordinances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    I just want to see Newcastle back in Northumberland and Sunderland back down in County Durham.
    Yep ,that'll be done. We will even have the Yorkshire Ridings restored to their former pride and glory Anyone else have anything to say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    I think that parish councils collected the rates and generally reported to the County Council on anything of concern, also supervising repairs and taking census information. Generally a community council, but with teeth.
    Thank you.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.