The Student Room Group

Local Government Reform

This is a subject somewhat dear to my heart, as I would like to see the old Borough (burgh in Scotland) and County Councils restored to their former glory and duties. The tasks of the borough councils were as follows:

Administering public services (education, health etc)
rates - water, council, business etc
town planning
maintainence of buildings and water pipelines
Sewage
Housing

The responsibilities of the County Councils were as follows
Country planning (and a degree of involvement in town planning)
Maintainence and building of roads
Public Health in the Countryside
Maintainence of railways and building of bridges
Water supply
Drainage
Countryside sewage
Countryside rates
Administration of Education

So how about it then?
Reply 1
Im all in favour, aside form the pride aspect, I think it'll make our votes for Constiuent leaders all the more important. Local "Governments" can make local decisions on what the local community needs most. Take for example the Metrolink maintenence system in Manchester, this was halted by Downing Street when it is clearly needed to rejuvenate an aging track that has plagued passenger and neighbours to faulty sdections.
Reply 2
fr_browne
Im all in favour, aside form the pride aspect, I think it'll make our votes for Constiuent leaders all the more important. Local "Governments" can make local decisions on what the local community needs most. Take for example the Metrolink maintenence system in Manchester, this was halted by Downing Street when it is clearly needed to rejuvenate an aging track that has plagued passenger and neighbours to faulty sdections.

Exactly! It will bring power back down to a local level, and devolve responsibilities from central government.
Reply 3
...which can of course only be a good thing.
yeehah! Nice one Lord Wad. Sounds good to me.

What do parish councils do?
Reply 5
Lord Waddell
This is a subject somewhat dear to my heart, as I would like to see the old Borough (burgh in Scotland) and County Councils restored to their former glory and duties. The tasks of the borough councils were as follows:

Administering public services (education, health etc)
rates - water, council, business etc
town planning
maintainence of buildings and water pipelines
Sewage
Housing

The responsibilities of the County Councils were as follows
Country planning (and a degree of involvement in town planning)
Maintainence and building of roads
Public Health in the Countryside
Maintainence of railways and building of bridges
Water supply
Drainage
Countryside sewage
Countryside rates
Administration of Education

So how about it then?

I'd go a lot further than that personally. I'd like to see local authorities acting far more autonimously from central government; raising taxes, passing county ordinances, paying for and training their own police forces/public works etc,.......
Reply 6
fr_browne

It hasn't actually halted I believe, just that the government has refused to release central funds for it. If they could get funding from elsewhere then I believe they could upgrade it. We've been having the same problems in Liverpool in the last 2 weeks as Darling has pulled out of funding our new tram system.
Reply 7
I just want to see Newcastle back in Northumberland and Sunderland back down in County Durham.
Reply 8
ArthurOliver
yeehah! Nice one Lord Wad. Sounds good to me.

What do parish councils do?

I think that parish councils collected the rates and generally reported to the County Council on anything of concern, also supervising repairs and taking census information. Generally a community council, but with teeth.
Reply 9
Howard
I'd go a lot further than that personally. I'd like to see local authorities acting far more autonimously from central government; raising taxes, passing county ordinances, paying for and training their own police forces/public works etc,.......

I'm not surea about raising taxes, but the local authorities would set the rates for water charges and business rates etc. Also, I would have no problem with each county/town training its own constabulary and passing ordinances.
Reply 10
Northumbrian
I just want to see Newcastle back in Northumberland and Sunderland back down in County Durham.

Yep ,that'll be done. We will even have the Yorkshire Ridings restored to their former pride and glory :smile: Anyone else have anything to say?
Lord Waddell
I think that parish councils collected the rates and generally reported to the County Council on anything of concern, also supervising repairs and taking census information. Generally a community council, but with teeth.
Thank you.

Latest

Trending

Trending