Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Smiley_Me)
    And it's always when the car park is most busy. Oh and then you get the people who have a whole car park to park in, yet choose to park right next to you. What is with that?

I passed 5 months ago and I've still not done motorway driving. I have been told what I should and shouldn't do, just not had chance to put it into practice. Job for after exams me thinks. You will be fine, don't worry. Just always check your blind spot.
    motorways are no differnt to dual carriageways. apart form there are usually no lights. and longer slip roads and people tend to speed a bit more. motorways are easy to drive on anyway. less crowded most of the time

ReputationRep:
    I only passed recently but I'm gonna take my dad's car in a month or so. It's an old toyota corolla which is bigger than the corsa I learnt in and hasn't got power steering so I'm just driving to places I know the route (e.g. picking up brother from train station or going to shopping centre) with my dad so I get my confidence up and get a bit more used to it.

(Original post by kpg)
    I only passed recently but I'm gonna take my dad's car in a month or so. It's an old toyota corolla which is bigger than the corsa I learnt in and hasn't got power steering so I'm just driving to places I know the route (e.g. picking up brother from train station or going to shopping centre) with my dad so I get my confidence up and get a bit more used to it.
    go drive places you dont know. if you manage them then youll def manage to drive places you do know.

ReputationRep:
    get thrown in at the deep end.

i remember when i first got my moped i had to drive it the 12 miles home. it was my first time on the roads on a moped, and it was coming back along the dual carraigeway thats 60mph limits in some places. also take into account that in northern ireland you only need a provisional licence to drive them and you can see how inexperienced i was. it wasnt bad though.

my advice is just go out and drive round your area for an hour or two. you'll soon get into the swing of it. i wouldnt tackle the city/town centre on the first day

(Original post by technik)
    get thrown in at the deep end.

i remember when i first got my moped i had to drive it the 12 miles home. it was my first time on the roads on a moped, and it was coming back along the dual carraigeway thats 60mph limits in some places. also take into account that in northern ireland you only need a provisional licence to drive them and you can see how inexperienced i was. it wasnt bad though.

my advice is just go out and drive round your area for an hour or two. you'll soon get into the swing of it. i wouldnt tackle the city/town centre on the first day
    you only need provisional in the UK for mopeds. which is wrong. you should need a full licence to drive. kinda defeats the point in passing a test if your allowed to drive with provisional. just keep renewing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    i drive complety differnt to how i done before i passed my test. i mean, who drives with both hands on the wheel at all times. how often do you get in the car and check all mirrors are in the right place? even tho youve just got out of it then get back in. mirrors magically re-align themselves? even the examiners drive totally diferent to how they expect you to drive
    I only drive with 2 hands when going round corners. Haven't quite grasped the concept of 'palming' yet. I never check my mirrors, I just assume they will be ok.

Okay how many of you still use your handbreak at traffic lights?

ReputationRep:
    motorways are no differnt to dual carriageways. apart form there are usually no lights. and longer slip roads and people tend to speed a bit more. motorways are easy to drive on anyway. less crowded most of the time
    Who honestly does 70 on a motorway?

Oh and when I passed I had to drive home on my own as I did my test in my own car, and my instructor had his car there with another pupil. God that was scary.

ReputationRep:
    I have an awful problem with spatial awareness.
    Was driving in town this afternoon, there's quite a narrow bit where only two cars can JUST get by, or just one bus. I come up to it, (it technically is my right of way), bus is coming other end, hasn't got to the narrow bit yet, I go on, bus keeps coming, till we're jammed beside each other.
    End result, me hopping on the pavement to get past. *sigh*

I can't park either I've got a micra, a small car, but I always end up on the lines in a bay, not over it, but still too close to other cars.

Only been on motorway once, that was after test, with instructor.
    Fun..but nervewracking! Better the second time tho, and yes,WHO does 70?! Even my instructor didn't bat an eyelid at 80, he did say slow down a tad, but didn't insist on 70....

ReputationRep:
    you only need provisional in the UK for mopeds. which is wrong. you should need a full licence to drive. kinda defeats the point in passing a test if your allowed to drive with provisional. just keep renewing it
    i was lead to believe that in the rest of the UK you had to do "CBT" first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwgames)

Only been on motorway once, that was after test, with instructor.
    Fun..but nervewracking! Better the second time tho, and yes,WHO does 70?! Even my instructor didn't bat an eyelid at 80, he did say slow down a tad, but didn't insist on 70....
    Not all motorways are that nice though, go somewhere like the M25 and u got speed cameras every 300 metres of so, I HATE driving on that road lol, infact there are quite a few motorways around where I live that are speed camera havens

ReputationRep:
    I only drive with 2 hands when going round corners. Haven't quite grasped the concept of 'palming' yet. I never check my mirrors, I just assume they will be ok.

Okay how many of you still use your handbreak at traffic lights?
    Actually the handbrake is one of the few things that I do use sometimes, not always, but if the light has just changed to red then its much more relaxing just slipping the car into neutral and putting on the handbrake, than keeping your feet on both

ReputationRep:
    I learned after I passed. I tend to do what you were taught, but most of the time I just swing out and reverse back. It's actually easier parking in between two cars in my opinion. You can see if you're going in the right direction better. Car parks are a nightmare though. You always get the idiots who park a little over the line of their bay, so the next bay cannot be used. Argh it's so annoying!
    heh I don't reverse cars yet... haha! I haven't got there in my lessons yet... I jus drive round town and get all the other drivers mad... but I can reverse my tracter, and love pretending to crash it into the kitchen window and breakin at the last minit... hooooooo

ReputationRep:
    go drive places you dont know. if you manage them then youll def manage to drive places you do know.
    I'm starting to now yup. But just wanted to get a feel of the car and build up a bit of confidence in it first .

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.