Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to pick a topic which strays away from the usual religious/political debates as quite frankly, they do tend to go round in circles a bit. Sure, the topic I've picked could be seen as being 'dumbed down' from the usual riveting intellectual debates on TSR, but I just want to see if anybody actually wants to dicuss something else... And I decided to put it in this forum, because who knows, it could become a debate. Ha. Though I doubt it...

Is anybody else sick of 'alternative' groups being formed in your class, year, or soceity? One classic example perhaps would be the 'emo' profiles which you will be able to find on Myspace. I have nothing against the group as a whole, but of the people who do it because they think it's 'cool' yet do not even understand the term emo or what emo is even about. Some (not all, as I am not one to make generalisations) claim they are 'outcasts', yet the only reason they are is because they make themselves outcasts by convincing themselves that the world is against them.

Recently around my area an 'emo explosion' has taken place and it's a quite sad to watch these people, who once were lively, kind people, acting as if they want to jump off a bridge because obviously being an emo you must remain in a constant state of sadness or at best, being aloof, and snubbing you because you don't conform to one type of music or clothes. They attend local gigs and remain in their upset state, then later on their myspace profiles write about how great the gig was and what a great time they had (who would have guessed?). They claim to be non-conformists, yet meet at Costa every saturday (Yea, Costa is so emo and alternative, there's a Costa on half the streets in London).

You probably just think I'm a ranting idiot. And I probably am. It's just frustrating and sort of upsetting to see people who once had a chance to do something great just throw it all away for the sake of bad music, a bad mood and a bad pose (see photos of emofied people on myspace. For god's sake, crack a smile. It takes more muscles to frown, everybody knows that).

Yes, I understand this topic does not challenge or stimulate the brain as much as a rousing political topic, but alas, I need your opinions on this topic if it has affected you in any way.

If you have got this far, well done. If I were you I wouldn't have read this far and would have left 5 minutes ago.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone goes through an 'alternative' phase at some point. Its the fools who get stuck in that phase that really give it a bad name.

ReputationRep:
    Well, at least they're not getting into nu-metal anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I'm into loads of different music (including 'alternative') myself, but I can't stand the alternative 'attitude' of these emo-ish groups you mention! The thing I hate most is the snobbery, they consider themselves so original and liberal but if you don't like the correct bands you're an outcast! Its so true about Myspace, Livejournal is the same too.

That said, I far prefer emo groups to nasty groups of chavs who listen purely to RnB.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't agree more!!!! These "emo" people drive me absolutely crazy, and living in New York City, I get constantly bombarded with them every day. My school is filled with them! The worst thing about them is how snobbish they are to anyone who doesn't wear the right clothes or listen to the right music.

I listen to some music that could be considered alterntaive (The Smiths) but I seem to dislike everyone I meet who also likes them. This is because they are so rude and in their own little emo worlds.

ReputationRep:
    Glad to find some people who agree with me! And Moloko I love your avatar! Or if i were emo, I would say I heart it or <3 (now that really pisses me off...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryrandom)
    Glad to find some people who agree with me! And Moloko I love your avatar! Or if i were emo, I would say I heart it or <3 (now that really pisses me off...)
    And. whats. the. deal. with. putting. full. stops. after. each. word. and replxcing. cxrtain. lxttxrs. with. crossxs.

???

ReputationRep:
    Haha yea! Being emo causes an inability to type obviously...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryrandom)
    Haha yea! Being emo causes an inability to type obviously...
    And, like, it totally, like, makes them like, unable to like, say a single like, sentence without, like using that word, like.um.

ReputationRep:
    Aww...its not all their fault - can you imagine the effect listening to that shower of musical sh*te does to your brain? they're grey matter must be screaming for a social and intellectual release.
    Maybe we should educate them with some good, classic rock music...roll out smoke on the water and they will realise how benign and moribund their "revolution" is.
    p.s. a personal hate is GARAGE music - luckily it doesn't get heard of so much nowadays, but does seem to attract the scum of the earth to listen to it - i blame craig david... (This would therefore make Avid Merrion (of Bo Selecta fame) the christ to his craig's antichrist - and thats as far as religious references will go!)

ReputationRep:
    I love musical elitism. I also love inverted musical elitism, and the elitism of competing to see who's less of an elitist. Of course, by not being as elite as you all are about how elite they are all I'm instantly both more and less elite. Or something, I don't know. Oh hells, the point is everyone's an idiot in every group. Or maybe no one is. Either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferret_messiah)
    I love musical elitism. I also love inverted musical elitism, and the elitism of competing to see who's less of an elitist. Of course, by not being as elite as you all are about how elite they are all I'm instantly both more and less elite. Or something, I don't know. Oh hells, the point is everyone's an idiot in every group. Or maybe no one is. Either way.
    :stupido3: If you say so princess....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    :stupido3: If you say so princess....
    I think the point I was making is that every now and then we have slight shifts in pop-culture norms, with the entertainment industry choosing to promote a new pre-existing group because they've marketed the last one to death. Generally you'll have two such groups co-existing, your mainstream and your so called alternative. At the turn of the millenium these were garage and nu-metal respectively, now it's bad rap and the whole emo indie scenester stuff. Now, whatever the current crap is for these two groups, the underlying groups themselves are basically made up of idiots who need the structure of a group to define themselves.
    So, with that all being said, the main musical trends ave always been followed by idiots, and have always been mocked by other idiots, who are sometimes in turn mocked by yet more idiots, and sometime in the next 12 months or so a new genre will come in, most of us will forget what emo was, and get set to mock the trendy hipster iditos with their Latino-Gerbil-Jazz-Funk, or whatever comes next.

ReputationRep:
    You seee! that wasn't too hard now was it (sorry - i'm only messing...the first message was a little prescott-esque though!)
    I know what you mean, but myself just despise manufactured music of all sorts...therefore my fave bands being cream, deep purple, the who and AC~DC - a real purity in music and a passion you dont see nowadays - songs which you can relate to and can be happy/sad/angry.etc., rather than just dull and droning...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.