The Student Room Group

Do you have to pay for the daily contraceptive pill once you're over 18?

Scroll to see replies

it's free, whether you're in full time education or not.
I'm so glad, my life would be 1000x worse without it (not in terms of contraception)
LC_x
Its £5 a prescription now in the uk :wink:

no it isnt, its £7.20 per item

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Medicinespharmacyandindustry/Prescriptions/NHScosts/index.htm
Reply 42
well in scotland.. its £5 :smile: not for the pill.. its free. and why are some people saying it shouldnt be free? protects you from getting an unwanted pregnancy.
Reply 43
I get the contraceptive injection and thats free.

Im pretty sure its always free! The clinic I go to does under 18s in a certain time slot and then over 19s :smile:

Although you cant have the injection if you're under 18
Its only free if its been prescribed. Oral contraception is free no matter what age/circumstance if its on prescription.
Reply 45
theronkinator
No way should it be free, why should a none essential thing be free, but I have to pay like £7.20 (that's how much it was in April) for my Asthma inhalers which I need, just so some girl can not get pregnant. WTF.

Thats stupid.

You dont pay for your inhalers so contraception can be free, dont be an idiot.
tinktinktinkerbell
im 28 and i dont pay

wow people really dont know what they are talking about :rolleyes:

:lolwut: wow how patronising...
a NURSE told me that the pill or any form of contraception is free until the age of 25.
i don't know your situation but that is what i have been told. The only other exception is if you are in full time education or your are unemployed.
pina.Love
:lolwut:how patronising...
a NURSE told me that the pill or any form of contraception is free until the age of 25.
i don't know your situation but that is what i have been told. The only other exception is if you are in full time education or your are unemployed.

either your nurse is stupid or she was talking about the MAP

the contraceptive pill IS FREE for over and under 25s, im not in full time education and i have a job

unless you live somewhere other than britain?
Reply 48
paperclip
You need health insurance? :confused:
That's a rip!

If you fill out a form (HC1 i think?) then you can get an exception for prescription charges.

I know, I work in a chemist over here xD well cool...

Yer we do :frown: some rubbish about how we were a tax haven, then suddenly the UK screwed us over and said 'hey, you got to PAY to use our NHS now...' so unless they sort it within the next year, unlikely, then I'll need health insurance, otherwise get rushed to A&E and die of a heart attack when I see the bill! Urghhh
tinktinktinkerbell
either your nurse is stupid or she was talking about the MAP

the contraceptive pill IS FREE for over and under 25s, im not in full time education and i have a job

unless you live somewhere other than britain?

i live in england :biggrin:
pina.Love
i live in england :biggrin:

then your nurse was either talking about the MAP or shes thick
Kaykiie
Thats stupid.

You dont pay for your inhalers so contraception can be free, dont be an idiot.

I don't care, inhalers are essentials, a stupid contraception pill isn't.
actually you do pay for inhalers, my mam used to have to
Reply 53
theronkinator

But my point still stands, no matter what your opinion on contraceptive pills are, you dont pay for inhalers so that we dont have to pay for contraception.

I doubt you'd be so against free contraception if you got someone pregnant, you'd be blaming the state, saying contraception should be free.
Reply 54
tinktinktinkerbell
actually you do pay for inhalers, my mam used to have to

noone has said you dont have to pay for inhalers :s-smilie:
Kaykiie
But my point still stands, no matter what your opinion on contraceptive pills are, you dont pay for inhalers so that we dont have to pay for contraception.

I doubt you'd be so against free contraception if you got someone pregnant, you'd be blaming the state, saying contraception should be free.

I would be complaining due to the difference in need, it's rediculous.
Reply 56
Prescribed contraception is free for everyone. :smile: I asked my pharmacist.
Reply 57
some of us like to have sex and so need the pill and thats that :smile: lol
theronkinator

Contraception isn't just a girl's worry - the guy is also affected if he fathers a child. You can also get condoms free, if you know where to go.
Reply 59
steffi.alexa
Contraception isn't just a girl's worry - the guy is also affected if he fathers a child. You can also get condoms free, if you know where to go.

Family Planning Clinic :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending