Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Did people stop visiting French palaces because they have no Royal family?
    Not in the same number - so i think we got the best deal out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Not in the same number - so i think we got the best deal out of it.
    So you have figures for visiting numbers when they did have a royal family? :rolleyes: By the way, France gets the most tourists than anywhere else in the world.

ReputationRep:
    The monarchy discussion has been taken to great depths elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am aware of that...but the number of people visiting british royal residences is greater than that visiting the french ones...maybe in france they all just go to the beaches instead.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't know about that. But I'm certain our existing Royal family costs much less than our new self-appointed one in Brussels; costing billions - not millions, and all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)

Amazed to see 12 Conservatives have voted and yet no Lib Dems or Labour supporters. or do we have another case of very confused lefties?
    I did attempt to explain to beekeeper that only people in agreement with him could vote on this poll, hence I'm unable to cast my vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    How can you vote on a biased poll?
    Precisely.

As I already posted, its like asking: Are you happy being swamped with lazy benefit-grabbing asylum seekers or should we stop them all coming here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    So you have figures for visiting numbers when they did have a royal family? :rolleyes: By the way, France gets the most tourists than anywhere else in the world.
    Really? More than USA?

(Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Really? More than USA?
    Yep - seems he's right.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/eco_tou_arr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Yep - seems he's right.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/eco_tou_arr
    Cool, always good when you beat the USA at something!

ReputationRep:
    Precisely.

As I already posted, its like asking: Are you happy being swamped with lazy benefit-grabbing asylum seekers or should we stop them all coming here?
    There is nothing falsely prejorative within "Centralised, Federal", since that was exactly what the founders of the EU set out to do in the first place, and still hope for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    The royal family costs 62p per person, per year, and brings in an estimated £3bn in tourism a year - is it just me, or is that a f*cking amazing deal! (dont worry - not planning to drag this thread onto royalism - just saying how being traditional can be beneficial without being outdated).
    Being a goood deal is not a mandate for waste. If it was, then the board fo Tyco would be worthy of great praise. "Oh they are stealing money, but they DID grow the company something wonderful!"

Fact is - certain members of the royal family waste money. They all too soon forget whose money it is that they are spending.

ReputationRep:
    Precisely.

Sorry - but honestly - where is the bias in the poll? Youre claiming its a push poll - how so?

It asks you : would you prefer central federalised Europe or one with independent states.

Fairly easy question it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Sorry - but honestly - where is the bias in the poll? Youre claiming its a push poll - how so?

It asks you : would you prefer central federalised Europe or one with independent states.

Welcome back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Welcome back!
    hah not for long just a quick pop in before I get back to "International capital markets and bond issues"

ReputationRep:
    Europe should be a decentralised group of independant nation states with free trade, and no such thing as an EU parliament or Commission. I am perfectly happy with a free trade area, like the British people voted for in the 1970s. Also tariffs should be significantly reduced or destroyed to allow genuine competition. That is the kind of Europe that I have a vision of.

ReputationRep:
    I support a decentralised and federal Europe, with more power being given to regions within the EU infrastructure...

However, I voted centralised and federal, primarily out of spite...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)

If that was the question there wouldn't be a problem. I would vote for independent nation states, as the EU currently is. But it also questions 'centralised' or 'decentralised'.

What does 'centralised' mean? For instance I agree with having a European parliament with powers over certain aspects of life. Is that centralisation?
    Does centralisation inlcude the Euro, which I am not against? If so then I cant vote for decentralised independent nations.

Its not just me who has made the point that this poll is biased, I noticed 2-3 other members also did. But I'm guessing I'm the only one who received neg rep for it, with 'idiot' so articulately typed as a comment.

ReputationRep:
    If that was the question there wouldn't be a problem. I would vote for independent nation states, as the EU currently is. But it also questions 'centralised' or 'decentralised'.

What does 'centralised' mean? For instance I agree with having a European parliament with powers over certain aspects of life. Is that centralisation?
    Does centralisation inlcude the Euro, which I am not against? If so then I cant vote for decentralised independent nations.

Its not just me who has made the point that this poll is biased, I noticed 2-3 other members also did. But I'm guessing I'm the only one who received neg rep for it, with 'idiot' so articulately typed as a comment.
    I didnt rep you.

Aside from that - ambiguity - fine .. perhaps - why does that mean bias?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I didnt rep you.

Aside from that - ambiguity - fine .. perhaps - why does that mean bias?
    Because you can't choose to have centralised (as it is now) with independent nations (as it is now). Its made to look as though pro-Europe people (like myself) want a nation of federal states, which isn't true.

So if I voted for centralised federal (which I don't believe in) it would fuel the Tory argument that we're going to become federal, and if I voted for decentralised nations (which I don't believe in) it would look as though I want the EU to become less centralised!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.