The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You would expect a little extra different algorithms to learn in the D2.
Get prepared for C3 and C4 as there will be a lot more calcalus(trig and integration) but more difficult and much more formalae to learn.
Stats should be a doddle for most ppl as most of it u should have done at GCSE for coursework for example.
C3 and C4 are fun!

C3...
Annoying complications of algebra (just when you thought you had it sorted... modulus signs! argh!).
A little on ex and ln x.
More trig and identities to learn / look up in the data book :wink:
Quite a bit of differentiation
Easy peasy numerical methods (woo! iteration!)

C4... well I ain't finished it yet myself lol
Partial fractions, uhhhh
Binomial series which is just like C2 but for negative / fractional powers
A little bit of differentiation involving implicit diff. (which is pretty neat) and ax and stuff.
Integration which I haven't done yet but have heard it's hard.
Vectors which I haven't done but have also heard are hard.

S1 is only a small step up from GCSE really.
Reply 3
GaryE i just was wondering about your Further maths AS....i thought for an AS in further you needed both FP1 and FP2.... or something like that.
does anyone know that actual regulations (for what is considered further or not)
thanks in advance!
Reply 4
We went through our choice of options with our tutor on Thursday. You only need FP1 for the AS.

Reply 5
Zuber
GaryE i just was wondering about your Further maths AS....i thought for an AS in further you needed both FP1 and FP2.... or something like that.
does anyone know that actual regulations (for what is considered further or not)
thanks in advance!

Edexcel Specification
8372 Advanced Subsidiary Further Mathematics
Further Pure Mathematics unit FP1 plus two other units (excluding C1—C4). Candidates who are awarded certificates in both Advanced GCE Mathematics and AS Further Mathematics must use unit results from 9 different teaching modules.

So you don't need both for AS.

What can you expect in September?

Lots of maths!

C3 = Similar to C2, everything is a fair bit harder (but you will be a fair bit better at maths) so it is all so-so.

C4 = Hard.

FP1 = I'm doing it myself in Sept.
GaryE
With AS maths out of the way C1 & D1 (Expecting an A for both), C2 (Expecting a B). :cool:

Next year I will be doing C3, C4 & D2 for A2 and FP1, S1 & S2 for an AS in Further Maths.

We are starting C3, over the next 2 weeks, before the holidays. :frown: So, what should I expect in September?

Meh you're missing out on mechanics.
Reply 7
I done: AS Mathst:C1,C2 and M1 -----AS FMAths: S1 and S2

Next year I am doing: A2 maths: C3 C4 and M2-----A2 FMaths: FP1, FP2, FP3 and M3/S3 (I am more likely to choose M3).

What should i expect from this?
C3 and C4 are harder core modules whichyou should really study for...M2 is not particularly tricky, but please, PAY ATTENTION IN THE BLOOMING EXAM AND DO NOT MAKE STUPID MISTAKES ..(like I would ever do that :frown: )

Can't tell you about the others yet mind
Reply 9
C3 is more interesting than C1 and 2 but the trig is quite a jump up. Other than that, C3 isn't too bad (he says as he probably ballsed up the exam)

C4 isnt so bad so far...but I've heard that integriation and vectors are quite nasty.

Should be fun.
Reply 10
distortedgav
C3 is more interesting than C1 and 2 but the trig is quite a jump up. Other than that, C3 isn't too bad (he says as he probably ballsed up the exam)

C4 isnt so bad so far...but I've heard that integriation and vectors are quite nasty.

Should be fun.

Agree completely, C3 is a complete new world of math then C1 and C2, some people can get shocked. Its really interesting, and easy.

I can't wait to also start M1 next year.
Reply 11
Vijay, you find everything maths related easy :wink:
GaryE
With AS maths out of the way C1 & D1 (Expecting an A for both), C2 (Expecting a B). :cool:

Next year I will be doing C3, C4 & D2 for A2 and FP1, S1 & S2 for an AS in Further Maths.

We are starting C3, over the next 2 weeks, before the holidays. :frown: So, what should I expect in September?

FP1 is okay, but you need to get your head around it. its pretty fun once you get the hang of it, but i find matrices annoying
same goes for S1, but for some reasons i cant do probability!!
not done c3 or c4 yet!

Latest