Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing Critical Thinking A level next year? Do you think this is a well respected A level by universities and employers?

ReputationRep:
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hibbert)
    Is anyone doing Critical Thinking A level next year? Do you think this is a well respected A level by universities and employers?
    apparently it is looked upon favourably as an extra sort of thing, a fourth or fifth A level, i dunno for sure though, as I am still on my GCSE course

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea how respected the A level in critical thinking is by employers BUT I know that the skill of critical thinking is very highly sought after by employers.

Having just graduated from university I've attended a few assessment days for graduate jobs, and as part of every assessment there has been a 50 minute critical thinking test that has to be passed in order to move onto the next stage of assessment. Although degree level study does develop a certain level of critical thinking ability I can imagine that a person who has studied the subject at A level would have an advantage over others when taking a critical thinking test under pressure.

My tuppence worth! Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    As said before, it's valued in the real world, but as an A Level, you don't 'learn' enough for it to be recognised as a true academic subject like History/English whatever. But it is good to do as an extra A Level but only if you actually like it I'd say. Most people are made to do it and **** it off a lot but I did it by distance learning and had to do loads of work! Am teaching it myself next year though.

ReputationRep:
    Dont listen 2 ppl who say it isn't respected. It is a skill that universities like oxford are incoperating into lots of their courses because they believe it 2 b valuable. But....it is difficult. What did you get in the as?

Jo T

ReputationRep:
    B! Retaking under the new easier syllabus

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot better regarded then general studies

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I'm doing it (it's compulsery) - seems totally pointless though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking it It's a course that only *ahem* the best 50 in the college lol, are allowed to take as an extra AS level. I haven't has a lesson yet though so I've really no idea what it will be like. Could anyone offer any advice?

ReputationRep:
    And we were advised that it's highly sought after by universities and employers as an AS qualifaction - they said having the full alevel is pretty pointless and it's not a subject you can substitute another alevel for. It's an enrichment course or an accredited study really

ReputationRep:
    I have the option at school to take CT AS (not sure if it's A2 as well) this year as an extra subject. I'm taking Maths, Physics, German, Geography and Further Maths (AS only I think). Do you think it's worth me taking it?

ReputationRep:
    i went to one lesson and nearly died from boredom so i dropped it- if you arent a fan of english language i wouldnt recommend it on the basis it is enjoyable- but if you do like english language go for it- plus if i thought i could survive the lessons i would want it for my uni app..... but i didnt want it that much

x

ReputationRep:
    ive been to quite a few lessons now and i find it alright - couldnt agree more with what you said about english language though - we mainly deconstruct arguments so its very similar! although we dont do much work on the subject itself - last week we were given a box full of materials and were told to build a vehicle that could transport an egg without it breaking. it was a comp to see who's went the farthest.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper

it is i asked some admissions tutors n my own teachers n everyone's really into it.

ReputationRep:
    We have a choice between Critical Thinking and General Studies as an extra but if you want to do CT you must take a past paper and get over 50% to do it. SO far I'm finding it very hard - all the options from multiple choice look the same to me but that might be because I can't think critically...oh well hopefully the course will teach me that in due time. As to how it's regarded, I'm not too sure but I know it certainly beats the old General Studies!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.