Turn on thread page Beta

what is normal? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    I think your normal when you do not stand out fo the crowd
    the only problem with saying 'normal is when you don't stand out in the crowd' is that the crowd is all different, you can be singled out no matter which member of the crowd you are because each person in the crowd is different and has unique features that we can use to say they are different from the next person, so any member of the crowd can be singled out, regardless. so we cannot say we don't stand out in the crowd because there is no way to blend into a crowd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snow_white)
    the only problem with saying 'normal is when you don't stand out in the crowd' is that the crowd is all different, you can be singled out no matter which member of the crowd you are because each person in the crowd is different and has unique features that we can use to say they are different from the next person, so any member of the crowd can be singled out, regardless. so we cannot say we don't stand out in the crowd because there is no way to blend into a crowd.
    Theres an art to not being *normal* and thats being able to remain different, yet still blend in with a crowd. I agree with you snow_white that we are all unique, we all have qualities that make us stand out, but its not how we see ourselves, its how others see us and can categorise us. Look at say ways of dress that are accepted as *normal* now, yet if you went for a job interview, you would be overlooked for it. Most people are uncomfortable with things they cant box neatly and see as the *norm* which is what society has been brought up to believe is acceptable, they dont like to think that anything can fall outside of their *boxing*. Whether this is right or not is an individual thought, do I agree with categorising people, no I dont, if I want to be accepted for who and what I am, I have to accept others for who and what they are.

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as normal as no two people are exactly alike (even identical twins, smartasses) but normal is generally taken to be the stereotypical image of the average person within the group you are defining normal for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    Well in psychology last year we did about defining abnormality. There were a few ways of defining this; deviation from social norms, deviating from statistical frequency, deviatoion from ideal mental health and failure to fuction adequatly.

So psychologicaly speaking, anyone that doesn't feel into any of those categories is "normal" but I think we all judge what "normal" behaviour is in loads of different situations depeing on what the norms of our society are at that time. So I think what's "normal" depends on the era, the culture you're in and what's popular at that time.
    My comment on the EGO (simply "Being") will also cause you to develop more "normal" behavior. You'll watch as you begin to fit in more, because without the EGO in control, it begins to "evolve" and change. Weird, I know, since you never really hear about it, but it's true.

The EGO is your personality and when you "remove it", it'll come back as a more likable character; which is still you, nonetheless, having self-awareness of this, but you'll begin to feel differently about different things, think more clearly, talk more clearly, etc. Without the EGO and all the crap emotions it brings, you will begin to be more "normal"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevilsDoor)
    Theres an art to not being *normal* and thats being able to remain different, yet still blend in with a crowd. I agree with you snow_white that we are all unique, we all have qualities that make us stand out, but its not how we see ourselves, its how others see us and can categorise us. Look at say ways of dress that are accepted as *normal* now, yet if you went for a job interview, you would be overlooked for it. Most people are uncomfortable with things they cant box neatly and see as the *norm* which is what society has been brought up to believe is acceptable, they dont like to think that anything can fall outside of their *boxing*. Whether this is right or not is an individual thought, do I agree with categorising people, no I dont, if I want to be accepted for who and what I am, I have to accept others for who and what they are.
    agreed, can never argue with something you agree with. i still think there is no such thing as normal though.

ReputationRep:
    agreed, can never argue with something you agree with. i still think there is no such thing as normal though.
    Something tells me that snow_white and DevilsDoor share a few similarities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Always a pleasure to meet a great mind , perhaps I need to emigrate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevilsDoor)
    Always a pleasure to meet a great mind , perhaps I need to emigrate
    Then you would lose something of the mind you seek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Then you would lose something of the mind you seek
    Who was it that said, some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them?

Its not the mind I seek just the answers to it, I already have nothing but high words for you, met another here to and reading through these threads many more. If anything, its a state of mind I seek and you know when I feel I will have found that.

You busy or got a few to chat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    very cute sire but something tells ME that sire and devilsdoor share a few similarities.
    oh and if i do share some similarities with devilsdoor then damn i'm doing well, pleasure to hear you say something so nice.

ReputationRep:
    very cute sire but something tells ME that sire and devilsdoor share a few similarities.
    oh and if i do share some similarities with devilsdoor then damn i'm doing well, pleasure to hear you say something so nice.
    My view.
    There can be no normal as we are human beings.
    If some one was classed as normal that would be quite strange, and thus, contradict itself.

Ponder?

ReputationRep:
    It's just a term.. a definition which obviously defines something (even if it is different things to different people).. so how can it not exist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemBOOM)
    My view.
    There can be no normal as we are human beings.
    If some one was classed as normal that would be quite strange, and thus, contradict itself.

Ponder?
    i agree with ChemBOOM, it does contradict itself.
    it sertainly is a topic to think about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    It's just a term.. a definition which obviously defines something (even if it is different things to different people).. so how can it not exist?
    Good point.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.