growt = cigarette

ReputationRep:
    some of them are not chav slang. here are some more: -
    shooter = shotgun
    back up = gang who will help you
    tick = to owe money to a drug dealer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Most of these aren't slang. Some are accepted international English words. And others, like Kirk, are in other languages Scots/Ingis (depending on preference) and are used officially.
    Indeed. Suppose some of these are meant to be slang but are used internationally & across the Atlantic either through the use of them within British movie crossing Atlantic or by any other means. Such as the word "mate" is still seen as more of a British, but is hardly used in USA. In the same way, "pal" often seen as used by American has crossed the Atlantic & can be used, if not often, by some Brits, as well.

I deleted all the Scottish slangs out of it, but I suppose, some still remained within the list. Some of Scottish words are widely used all over the country such as "butty", meaning "sandwich" can be heard all over the country as "chip butty" & of course "wee" meaning "little" is widely used by people around the country & of course "lass" for "girl"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    a) the OP said british slang.
    b) im not english.
    OP ???
    Seeing your location as UK, it's wonder why aren't you English :rolleyes: & of course, if you prefer being called as either Scottish or something else, then I presume, you can be still referred as BRITISH though

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! Can someone please explain 'Lord, love a duck' to me??? Please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j4mes_bond25)
    OP ???
    Seeing your location as UK, it's wonder why aren't you English :rolleyes: & of course, if you prefer being called as either Scottish or something else, then I presume, you can be still referred as BRITISH though
    OP - original poster

the UK is 4 countries primarily. my nationality is british. you can call me northern irish if you like. still doesnt change the fact that anyone in the UK is a brit

the OP referred to british slang, not regional (english) slang.

ReputationRep:
    still doesnt change the fact that anyone in the UK is a brit
    Northern Ireland isn't in Great Britain so they aren't Brits. *technically*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Northern Ireland isn't in Great Britain so they aren't Brits. *technically*
    im sure the UKPS would be happy to inform you of the "technicalities".

im sure you advocate renaming the country to the UQ of GB and NI as its not a kingdom but a queendom?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh.. You're not alone Am - I can hardly understand some of the things northerners say...

ReputationRep:
    i lived in ny til i was 8 (my dad is american), but have lived in the uk since then - so, like, 9 years - and i still get confused by british slang. lol!
    x pheebs x

ReputationRep:

the UK is 4 countries primarily. my nationality is british. you can call me northern irish if you like. still doesnt change the fact that anyone in the UK is a brit
    Indeed but ANYONE who's got British passport is called British

However, it's ENGLISH that's from England, SCOTTISH from Scotland, WELSH from Wales & IRISH from Ireland, if they prefer being too specific

You could be considered British, as far as you've British passport, however, seeing you as English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish, as well, would depend on your personal preference, I would say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j4mes_bond25)
    Indeed but ANYONE who's got British passport is called British

However, it's ENGLISH that's from England, SCOTTISH from Scotland, WELSH from Wales & IRISH from Ireland, if they prefer being too specific

You could be considered British, as far as you've British passport, however, seeing you as English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish, as well, would depend on your personal preference, I would say
    interesting you speak of specifics and then go on to talk about the irish. they havent been a constituent part of the UK since 1922.

my point is preference is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    interesting you speak of specifics and then go on to talk about the irish. they havent been a constituent part of the UK since 1922.

my point is preference is irrelevant.
    Well, may be you prefer being called "Northern Irish" in that case just as Scottish or English or Welsh, but then again, I presume even you have BRITISH passport & that quite makes you British, I would've thought :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I remember a dialect differnce which could make you come over as gay...saying someone is 'safe' in the UK means that he/she is an upstand person..in canada it means that they are chung, a bit of alrite, buff i.e. good looking ...just an interesting fact there 4 ya...

ReputationRep:
    Go to www.chavscum.com

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.