Turn on thread page Beta

And I leave you with these stats.. watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-B/eco_com_to_for_aid

ReputationRep:

Highly irrelevant comparison.

It should be a question of aid as a % of GDP.

How much it spends on the military is not of relevance to aid. If they gave large amounts of aid as a % of GDP then what ELSE they spend money on matters not.

I fail to see your point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Highly irrelevant comparison.

It should be a question of aid as a % of GDP.

How much it spends on the military is not of relevance to aid. If they gave large amounts of aid as a % of GDP then what ELSE they spend money on matters not.

I fail to see your point.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/eco_eco_aid_don_gdp

Check out whose bottom..

'' Despite the fact that the United States only gives 0.06 percent of its GDP in aid to developing countries one survey found 40% of US citizens believe the country should cut foreign aid.''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/eco_eco_aid_don_gdp

Check out whose bottom..
    Yes... there you go.

Far more relevant.

ALthough its fairly common knowledge. I still dont know what your point is.

ReputationRep:
    that usa smells?

ReputationRep:
    If people want to bash the Big Satan, they could at least learn to interpret their own information properly. They might have even noticed the connection between role and size of government and the ammount it can afford in aid; perhaps if they'd bothered attending history class - the political Imperial Age guilt towards Africa that Europe has (but not the US).

Perhaps you should find a chart showing non-governmental charity donations, which I'm certain would contradict your claim.

Oh look at this, it seems the people of the USA are three times more charitable than the French and Germans. :rolleyes:

(Original post by sarforaz)
    that usa smells?
    We don't figure in those stats for third world aid as a % of GDP either!

So we must smell as well.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/eco_eco_aid_don_cap

(Original post by Lawz-)
    Yes... there you go.

Far more relevant.

ALthough its fairly common knowledge. I still dont know what your point is.
    don't americans give far more money to charity than other nations citizens? would that be counted..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    don't americans give far more money to charity than other nations citizens? would that be counted..?
    Very good point. Very good point indeed. Due to religion, or simply larger disposable incomes... they do. And no - it isnt counted. Only governmental aid budgets are. It would be interesting to see an international comparison of the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Very good point. Very good point indeed. Due to religion, or simply larger disposable incomes... they do. And no - it isnt counted. Only governmental aid budgets are. It would be interesting to see an international comparison of the two.
    What you mean just like the charities given for the tsunami by the american public? Which of course were the least generous yet again...

ReputationRep:
    What you mean just like the charities given for the tsunami by the american public? Which of course were the least generous yet again...
    Like giving to charity in GENERAL.

And what evidence do you have that they gave the least per head?

ReputationRep:
    Americans gave over $1 billion of their private money to help the tsunami victims. How many governments gave anything close to that amount?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Americans gave over $1 billion of their private money to help the tsunami victims. How many governments gave anything close to that amount?
    Ouch .... I think I almost heard that metaphorical beating.

But you know... never let the facts get in the way of a good prejudice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)

well giving aids is like politics. why would you give something for nothing? the law of power dictates that:

when asking for help, appeal to peoples self-interest, never to their mercy or gratitude.

US would be expected to give aid because of its wealth but also its a perfect ways to show US is not that bad country waging wars after Iraq by giving aid.

its all very politics, nothing surprising. I only thought US could have used the disaster even better to build their reputation back more after their iraq war but its non of my concern. thats life for us folks in this world.

ReputationRep:
    I cant believ you two tell me how everything should be measured per head and then you come out with a number which of course will be the highest considering it is the mst developed country. Compare it per head with countries like the netherlands or Germany and the difference is there to be seen even for biased people like yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neocortex)
    well giving aids is like politics. why would you give something for nothing? the law of power dictates that:

when asking for help, appeal to peoples self-interest, never to their mercy or gratitude.

US would be expected to give aid because of its wealth but also its a perfect ways to show US is not that bad country waging wars after Iraq by giving aid.

its all very politics, nothing surprising. I only thought US could have used the disaster even better to build their reputation back more after their iraq war but its non of my concern. thats life for us folks in this world.
    You think Mrs Johnson of Boise Idaho gave money because she wants people to like the US?

I think youll find that religion played a major part in why people gave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    You think Mrs Johnson of Boise Idaho gave money because she wants people to like the US?

I think youll find that religion played a major part in why people gave.
    you should clarify who and for what the money was given though. religion of course plays part, but even giving aid to another religion or for your own religion is for a return of self-satisfaction, better image and reputation. just my personal view lol

ReputationRep:
    you should clarify who and for what the money was given though. religion of course plays part, but even giving aid to another religion or for your own religion is for a return of self-satisfaction, better image and reputation. just my personal view lol
    Im a strong proponent of egoism. I think Altruism is a myth. Not in part but actually in its entirity.

However, I disagree with the notion that the self-interest that spurred most Americans on to give money was a desire to repair the global image of the US after the Iraq war.

ReputationRep:
    Last time I checked, Indonesians aren't Christians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Im a strong proponent of egoism. I think Altruism is a myth. Not in part but actually in its entirity.

However, I disagree with the notion that the self-interest that spurred most Americans on to give money was a desire to repair the global image of the US after the Iraq war.
    yeah ok i should have said US govt. i kind of ignored the citizens (public part). but for citizens giving money i think it is to do with giving to show their generousity in return for respect and face. i mean if you are given a disaster like this and people ask you for money that you can afford and you don't give, it creates a pressure on their face. no one likes to be regarded as greedy etc they will usually give some money if they can afford to do so to show their wealth as well as their kindness and getting respect.

you give for something in return in most cases. I dont donate (being student) but i volunteer for charities, but in the end you get something back from it as well.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.