Turn on thread page Beta

And I leave you with these stats.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    If people want to bash the Big Satan, they could at least learn to interpret their own information properly. They might have even noticed the connection between role and size of government and the ammount it can afford in aid; perhaps if they'd bothered attending history class - the political Imperial Age guilt towards Africa that Europe has (but not the US).

Perhaps you should find a chart showing non-governmental charity donations, which I'm certain would contradict your claim.

Oh look at this, it seems the people of the USA are three times more charitable than the French and Germans. :rolleyes:
    Well said!

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to the Tsunami figures:

US companies also donated over $1bn dollars, which isn't included within the figures counted by the UN. So, private and state combined is closer to $3 billion. This puts the per capita overall donations slightly below the UK, but higher than Germany, Hong Kong, Iceland, all the Muslim countries, Japan, Italy, Greece, Spain and Portugal. (Wikipedia)

Don't forget to consider the priceless aid in the form of soldiers and military hardware which aided the rescues of hundreds and thousands immediately after the disaster - nobody else was in the position to do as much.

ReputationRep:
    yes its true that US people and British people in general give most to charity but i think alexdel was referring to the government?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asadtamimi)
    yes its true that US people and British people in general give most to charity but i think alexdel was referring to the government?
    In which case, it only really highlights the already obvious division in beliefs between European and Anglosphere countries over the role of government. He merely pasted a link, without any argument, so I asumed the implicit argument was the usual America = greedy, selfish bad-guys ignorant of the outside world and the collective human interest.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.