Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Yep, now show me that if you lose fat you don't lose "weight", oh wait, you do, if you lose 2lbs of fat, you also lose 2lbs of weight.
    True, but if your gaining muscle, you could gain 2lb of muscle, while losing 2lb of fat,which has the opposite effect, think about it on scales, you could weigh 178lb, lose 2lb fat, you become 176lb, gain 2 pound muscle you become 178lb, some people will think why have i gained weight,then some people would start thinking wait one min i lost weight the next i gained it back,and again some people wont know the importance of the fats vs muscle ratio. In that hence saying your losing weight is useless. Again youll lose water weight, scale yourself, have a few glasses of waer scale yourself again after, you would of gained the weight. Etc etc...

ReputationRep:
    It is important to know that your basal metabolic rate is higher when you have more muscle (they need to be fed), that means you can eat more without putting on weight.

nikz05 is right about the importance of what kind of weight you are loosing. If you have a severe bout of diarrhoea for 3 days you will have lost up to 6 lbs, but that is because you are dehydrated and once you are well again you are back to what you were before.

1Kg of fat is approx. 9000Kcal, so that is what you have to save/use up doing exercise to get rid of the fat.

ReputationRep:
    what foods are really really low GI?

ReputationRep:
    fruit, vegetables, meat/dairy. Then you start to go up the scale with root veg, pulses, nuts, seeds, and moving up to brown breads, brown/wild rices, brown pastas, then up to heavily processed carbohydrates, and pure sugar right at the top!

I think it's far too easy to dismiss every diet as faddy. The G.I is just all the things you always knew were good for you, but someone has decided to charge you 8.99 to tell you about them :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.glycemicindex.com/

You can search on taht website the GI levels of vast amounts of foods. Useful database.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.