Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In my notes i have written that the nucleus/particles fromed in both fission and fusion both have less mass than the nucleuses/particles before the process, surely this cant b correct! Also i have written that they both release energy.

ReputationRep:
    No in fission they have less mass, in fusion more mass. Thje most common fusion and fission reactions release energy

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I agree with rpotter.

I think of it like this: during the fission and the fusion reactions discussed in our specification, the Binding Energy per nucleon increases. Therefore that means energy will have been transferred to the surroundings.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    In both fission and fusion there is an increase in BE per nucleon (hence an increase in stability). However.....
    With fission, the combined mass of the products is always less than the initial mass of the nucleus. The mass defect is proportional to the energy released from fisson as E=mc^2
    With fussion, the mass of the the nuclues which is formed is always less than the combined mass of the initial nuclides.
    Remember, nuclear fission or fusion is only possible when the mass decreases.

ReputationRep:
    in fission, U-235 splits into two smaller daughter nuclides and up to 3 neutrons. however, the mass of the U-235 is greater than the combined mass of the daughter nuclides and neutrons. the mass difference between the U-235 and products is the energy produced...

in fusion, the combined mass of the hydrogens used is more than the helium-4 produced, again the mass difference is the energy produced by the reaction...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Remember, nuclear fission or fusion is only possible when the mass decreases.[/QUOTE]

Not actually true, under extreme conditions equilibrium reactions producing nuclei of the same combined or even greater mass can be achieved

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.