Turn on thread page Beta

Salters Chemistry: 2854: Chemistry By Design 28/06/05 watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you think the paper will be really hard?

Do they usually ask similar synoptic questions, or can they ask anything?

Does it usually get marked up a lot?

I need around 95 in this paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherc2005)

Yes I think the paper will be really hard and tricky, well for me anyway!lol

I dont think they tend to ask very similar synoptic questions, they seem quite varied and different!

But apparently the grade boudries for this paper are a bit lower!

I need quite a high mark in this 2!-grr

ReputationRep:
    same lol. i just dont know where to begin revising. how important is it to read chemical storylines for this paper and as a review of all modules?

ReputationRep:
    this is a very good point bexbex. im not sure to be honest. if anyone else has this info please post it up.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I've never bothered with CS before
    This week it will be my life-manual
    I can never remember which CI goes with which unit and have just realised that in CS it tells you at relavant points
    For colours, industry and designer polymers i would say CS is essential reading
    For others i probably wouldn't bother

ReputationRep:
    so r u gonna read those 3 chapters nd all CI? im just overloaded lol nd dont kno where to begin. r u using revision guides?

ReputationRep:
    Yes - synoptic papers are statistically the ones students do worst in, as they forget to be synoptic in their answers, and they don't revise everything.
    The paper will concentrate on Agriculture, Oceans, Colours, Medicines and Industry - but can include parts of other units. Thankfully the Salters course is written so A2 units build on AS units so synoptic isn't quite as bad as in say Biology. = If you have past papers USE them. I've found that a lot of questions come up year after year (like the attack of a cyanide ion on an aldehyde) and if you learn the mark scheme it's a good way to work.
    No. The exam board say that this is the hardest exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexbex)
    so r u gonna read those 3 chapters nd all CI? im just overloaded lol nd dont kno where to begin. r u using revision guides?
    Yeh i've got 2
    There's a great series by philip allen called "student unit guides" - they do them for all OCR subjects i think and the chemistry ones are BRILLIANT

I'm doing a lot of past papers, reading through storylines and doing the relevant CI

ReputationRep:
    http://www.philipallan.co.uk/content...SER32:BOARD57:

ReputationRep:
    thanks loads. i just need to get down to it lol. its really helped cheers.

ReputationRep:
    check the spec out - they tell you what modules are covered in this course (page 6). I guess that you'll still need to know the rest of the course, but nowhere near as much detail as these bits. I suspect about 70 - 80% will be from these modules. Mind you, that's a lot of the course...

http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...xLSw8U7NsP.pdf

Granted, weird document name...

ReputationRep:
    hey does anyone here have chem by design past papers and mark schemes for june 02 of jan 03 at all?

ReputationRep:

I took the CD paper last year and in my opinion CD isn't that hard as it is synoptic and only touches on knowledge from all areas of chemistry you have learnt over the two year salters course. Its not like the January paper (forgot its name) which I thought was a lot harder. However to do well in CD you do actually need to know everything more or less, this includes information from CS! 95 is an achieveable mark in this paper, but you have to have a broad knowledge of everything, as this is a big big! paper.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    They always pop in random stuff from storylines!

I go through storyliens, make notes and when I get to a CI bit, I make notes on the chapter and do all the questions again, because it's not unheard fo for questions from, CS to be used in the exam

ReputationRep:
    I just look at all the syllabus points, look them up in CI and make notes on them till I know them. Im going to struggle with this paper more because my severe lack of revision time... I need a B to have a safe A overall...

I HATE Salters.

ReputationRep:
    for storylines i think if general ideas are involved you must learn them, for example pharmacological things for MD, and vague ocean ideas for O, like i remember jan exam had some stuff about rusting from storylines and steel for that module, so its likely to have something come up

ReputationRep:
    I think the synoptic paper can be quite repetitive... Thats what i've foudn, but so far i've only done 3 papers.. (and i think i ahve about 6 more to go.. eek!)

But yeah.. I can see teh synoptic bits, but its usually things you kind of either know, or guess Like things on why CO2 is bad for the atmosphere and such..

Does anyone else find the mark schemes quite random and specific. Like i swear i answer the question 80% right .. but then the mark scheme givs a completely different answer!

ReputationRep:
    In some cases my mark schemes have disagreed with the chemical ideas book. I imagine they screwed up on the scheme, since I am CERTAIN that Friedel crafts acylation involves reflux and AlCl3, since that is the Friedel crafts' reagent.

They are clearly just idiots!

Can anyone help me out... I want to see what raw % I might need for an A/B... cos im just getting high Cs atm, but I need that to be a B in UMS!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    In some cases my mark schemes have disagreed with the chemical ideas book. I imagine they screwed up on the scheme, since I am CERTAIN that Friedel crafts acylation involves reflux and AlCl3, since that is the Friedel crafts' reagent.

They are clearly just idiots!

Can anyone help me out... I want to see what raw % I might need for an A/B... cos im just getting high Cs atm, but I need that to be a B in UMS!!!
    The raw marks for the years have been ranging (for an A) from 95(i think it was a super easy paper.. i have yet to try it) to 82

for B its about 85(again.. the super easy paper) to about 73. So i would say you get in the 70's you'll get a B and 80s and about is an A (give or take!)

ReputationRep:
    I see.. where did you get that information?? I looked for an examiners report but the idiots don't seem to do one!

I got 83/120 last night and flipped cos its a C if you count raw marks as UMS, at 69%... but from what you are saying that could be a strong B... which would make me very happy!!!

Please though, if you can show me some report you've found or tell me where you got the information (maybe provide some boundaries for the years) id be in your debt... and would rep you!

Goes for anyone else too!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.