Turn on thread page Beta

Salters Chemistry: 2854: Chemistry By Design 28/06/05 watch

ReputationRep:
    urgh. this exam sucks. i need a high b/low a to get the a i need overall for bristol. And yes, after doing some past papers almost cried.Although i have come to the conclusion that the philip allan revsion book is my bible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonkeyOnIce)
    Although i have come to the conclusion that the philip allan revsion book is my bible.
    Me too! They've got me through all the exams so far. Best revision guide for this IMO

ReputationRep:
    - if its a weird exam like our last one im gonna flip - stupid examiners ! .. they better stick to the original feel of the papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonkeyOnIce)
    Although i have come to the conclusion that the philip allan revsion book is my bible.
    And me Sat here with it on my lap
    Nothing is going in but Mr Allan is my only hope!!
    I'm so tired...

ReputationRep:
    lol Mr Allen is my chem teacher! Not *the* Mr Allan though unfortunately. God i hate all those reagents and conditions! Grrrrrr!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em1ly)
    God i hate all those reagents and conditions! Grrrrrr!
    AMEN! What about the colours of ions as well? Surely a table of ion colours is available in normal circumstances?? The one absolutely pointless part IMHO.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh ion colours is just silly
    Memorising reactions is fine because if your chemistry was amazing you could work it out
    But ion colours are like sheer luck of the draw!!
    And imagine if it asks for the colour change and you know the ion but get the colour wrong - it's silly!!
    [/rant]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Yeh ion colours is just silly
    Memorising reactions is fine because if your chemistry was amazing you could work it out
    But ion colours are like sheer luck of the draw!!
    And imagine if it asks for the colour change and you know the ion but get the colour wrong - it's silly!!
    [/rant]
    Exactly. Just bloomin' exactly!

ReputationRep:
    What do you lot think in terms of the 4 differnt parts of the syllabus is the longest to learn?

e.g. on average which section (AA, CD, O, MD) has taken you the most hours to go through?

ReputationRep:
    Hard to say because the teaching for this last unit has been total and utter ****
    I think colours will take the longest because of all the learning reaction do-dahs!

ReputationRep:
    mmhmm. id say colours..or maybe oceons, as you have all the ph stuff and ksp to learn.
    with the colours do we actually have to learn them all? because if we do then im going to cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Hard to say because the teaching for this last unit has been total and utter ****
    I think colours will take the longest because of all the learning reaction do-dahs!
    which reactions. you mean like azo-dyes and arenes?

does anyone know roughly how the UMS gets marked up e.g. i need 95, whats the lowest i could get that can get marked up to 95?

ReputationRep:
    i think oceans and colour are the hardest modules! im really confusing myself with colour. and all those reactions though we do get given a few in the date booklet, which is nice, but not enough...

ReputationRep:
    do we? wow. i should really try and make a point of looking at the formula book. save me remember some stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherc2005)
    which reactions. you mean like azo-dyes and arenes?

does anyone know roughly how the UMS gets marked up e.g. i need 95, whats the lowest i could get that can get marked up to 95?
    The amount it gets marked up will be very little as the paper itself is out of 120 - the actual amountwill vary depending on the difficulty of the paper

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping 80/120 will get me a B in UMS marks!!!

ReputationRep:
    what do we need to know about clay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherc2005)
    what do we need to know about clay?
    nothing? I thought they took it off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I see.. where did you get that information?? I looked for an examiners report but the idiots don't seem to do one!

I got 83/120 last night and flipped cos its a C if you count raw marks as UMS, at 69%... but from what you are saying that could be a strong B... which would make me very happy!!!

Please though, if you can show me some report you've found or tell me where you got the information (maybe provide some boundaries for the years) id be in your debt... and would rep you!

Goes for anyone else too!
    Will do.. i can get them for you... the boudaries that is... My chem teachers gave us the boundaries for all the papers (although i'm not sure how useful it will be for you now... (i'm at school and the boundaries are at home.. soo. yeah..)

ReputationRep:
    Yep they took clays off the syllabus starting from the Jan chemistry by design exam. im pretty sure because the syllabus does not mention anything about clays in the aspects of agriculture section.....but who knows they mite jus throw in a question on it cos u know wat the salters people are like!!lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.