Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i've got two calculators, got one with this matrix thingy - are these allowed in P6? and if not, is it allowed in P4?

phil

sorry for the dumb qeustions- just lot of rumours and crap going round, and want to make 100% sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    i've got two calculators, got one with this matrix thingy - are these allowed in P6? and if not, is it allowed in P4?

phil

sorry for the dumb qeustions- just lot of rumours and crap going round, and want to make 100% sure
    *I think* you are allowed them in P4,P5,P6. I would like some confirmation.

ReputationRep:
    for P4, P5 and P6, at least for Edexcel, you are NOT allowed graphic calculators nor ones that do integration or differentiation or any algebra, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesser weevil)
    for P4, P5 and P6, at least for Edexcel, you are NOT allowed graphic calculators nor ones that do integration or differentiation or any algebra, etc.
    That isn't right. For Edexcel P4-6 you are allowed any calculator (including graphical calculators) except those which will do *symbolic* calculus (ie. if you ask it to integrate x wrt. x, it will say 1/2 x^2 instead of telling you the answer is 1.2469453135 between two limits that you put in). This means you can use calculators such as those in the casio 9700 series.

Graphic calculators make lots of things a lot easier in P4 and 6 especially. They make polar co-ordinate questions easier and make lots of matrix questions easier, (and easy to check), although this is why when asked to find an inverse 3x3, they throw in a k or an x for one of the values.

Here is the edexcel rules that are on the front of the papers (I took this off an old P6. The same is on P4-6. You are limited to a standard scientific calculator in P1 and P3 and I can't remember about P2)

(Original post by EDEXCEL)
    Candidates may use any calculator EXCEPT those with the facility for
    symbolic algebra, differentiation and/or integration. Thus candidates may
    NOT use calculators such as the Texas Instruments TI 89, TI 92, Casio CFX
    9970G, Hewlett Packard HP 48G.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 25, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.