Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobb_theprequel)
    Ignorance is bliss, eh. If you turned on the ol' wireless and listened to 'The Today Programme', 'Thought for the Day', and any number of intellectual debates - you'd see that LSE gets decent media exposure. Flick through the broadsheets and you'll struggle to find a day go by when you don't read an article, prefixed by the words "Researchers at the LSE"/"A thinktank based at the LSE"/"A study carried out by researchers at the LSE". If you look at the genius invention that is Google News (and search for 'London School of Economics' or 'LSE') - the LSE feature stories all originate from the past 21 hours - compare that to any other university in this country, even Oxbridge (who, as it happens, have feature articles from days ago on the header page).

If you had read today's paper, the overwhelming likelihood is that you would have stumbled across the thing they call "LSE"; on the second page of the Sunday Times there is an article on the ID card debacle, which finds its roots in a study by... the LSE.
    I hate radio lol. And dropping in 'LSE' at the end of an article or saying 'LSE researchers' is not going to explain to me what it is...plus I assume I'd find only a minority of those articles remotely interesting :p: Yep, I'm ignorant in the field of economics :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CNN Center)
    As for the GCE "A"-levels in Asia (I can only speak for Singapore), I am proud to say that yes, I have heard that the "A"-level in Singapore is probably one of the best in the world. It is certainly very rigorous.
    But I've also heard that there has been a steady increase in the number of people gaining A grades there...and A levels is getting 'easier' year on year ...

Anyway, if I'm the OP, I would go for Cambridge any time. Although it's true that when you start working, it's your real abilities that count, not where you come from. However, a degree from Cambridge will give you the better edge in getting prospective employers to notice your applications.

Just my tuppence of opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaGuy)
    But I've also heard that there has been a steady increase in the number of people gaining A grades there...and A levels is getting 'easier' year on year ...
    That's true, and that's because Singaporean students generally find the 'A' levels much easier compared to our own local exams. I went to one of the top junior colleges (equivalent to the sixth forms in the UK) in Singapore. Not a lot of people are aware of this but it's often privately joked in our circles that the 'A' levels are an insult to our intelligence. Many of my friends had Es and Fs (fail grade) for their local exams (prelims) but easily got straight As for their 'A' levels in the same subjects with the same syllabus. Given the fact that the original 'A' levels were easy because the questions were predictable and not in the least challenging, it's not surprising at all that students here found it 'easier' year on year and that the Ministry of Education in Singapore intervened in the setting of questions (originally completely set in the UK) to introduce more challenging 'thinking' questions in 2003. Otherwise, a freakingly large number would just get As (in absolute marks without percentile grading along a Bell curve) if we were to sit for the same 'A' level exams as British students do.

Incidentally, Singapore came in first for both Mathematics and Science for Grades 4 and 8 in TIMSS 2003:
    http://www.moe.gov.sg/press/2004/pr20041214.htm
    http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/rvp/pubaf/c...N27/timss.html
    http://ebs.gmnews.com/news/2005/0616/Schools/039.html

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying at the LSE at the mo (just finished my first year of BSc Actuarial Science), and I would agree with the post that said yes Cambridge is more impressive to common folk, but if you're interested in a finance based job in the City, or the US (where the difference is greatest), a degree from LSE is much more acknowledged. Cambridge is notoriously 'closed-doors' and very traditionalist, so its degrees are so much more academic and less practical. obviously if you want to come out of a 3 year degree at Cambridge turning your nose up at the rest of society then go for it, but I personally know employers who resent the snobishness of Cambridge grads. but thats my opinion

ReputationRep:
    It seems that most people favour LSE over Cambridge- but that's to be expected on an LSE thread- I'm sure the same question under the Cambridge University thread would produce a different result.

The LSE degree is more mathematical than the Cambridge one. I'm not entirely sure about the comment of LSE's course being more "relevant".

In terms of one course being "better" than the other, however, well...... that really depends on what you want to do and specifically which company you want to work in- different firms have their own preferences as do the individuals who recruit you (and you can't control some of these factors).

In truth, employers will be looking at other things on your CV; different skills and experiences are what's going to stand out as well as the classification of your degree.

One shouldn't worry too much about how prospective employers perceive the image of you chosen University (not when it gets to this high level anyway).... go where you think you will feel comfortable.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 19, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.