Turn on thread page Beta

Why are people up at this ridiculous hour? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Pro Plus is utter rubbish, it doesn't do ANYTHING after the first night!!! God, I could have a handful of them and fall asleep immediately and not awake till after I've had 8 hours or so!
    Well, it must vary from person to person then. I've never taken it myself. If I stay up all night, I just do. Sometimes I get a nasty headache the next evening though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ++Hex++)
    Well, it must vary from person to person then. I've never taken it myself. If I stay up all night, I just do. Sometimes I get a nasty headache the next evening though.

I think staying up without coffee or Red B is REAL tough, torture. I tried that on my first essay at univ., then a friend suggested that I take coffee next time. Annnnd, indeed there was a next time, and then after that I've never stayed up without one or the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    I think staying up without coffee or Red B is REAL tough, torture. I tried that on my first essay at univ., then a friend suggested that I take coffee next time. Annnnd, indeed there was a next time, and then after that I've never stayed up without one or the other.
    You're at Univ???? As is Univ college oxford???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    You're at Univ???? As is Univ college oxford???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    I don't think you have revealed where you're at J.S. Am I right in remembering you're Gujurati ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    I don't like coffee. Or fizzy stuff. So I don't like to take things. I've never done it any other way, though, so I wouldn't know the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I don't think you have revealed where you're at J.S. Am I right in remembering you're Gujurati ?

lol, I'm in Hamamatsu City, Japan. Univ., was just an abbreviation for University. My g/f is Guji, I'm Punjabi. Pleased to meet you two!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    lol, I'm in Hamamatsu City, Japan. Univ., was just an abbreviation for University. My g/f is Guji, I'm Punjabi. Pleased to meet you two!
    Cool. So what time is it there?

ReputationRep:
    I don't like coffee. Or fizzy stuff. So I don't like to take things. I've never done it any other way, though, so I wouldn't know the difference.
    oh...make that three

ReputationRep:
    Cool. So what time is it there?

nearly 2 pm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    nearly 2 pm
    Sunny?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Had no idea you were in Japan, thought you were another insomniac! Are you from UK, or India, or brought up in Japan then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Had no idea you were in Japan, thought you were another insomniac! Are you from UK, or India, or brought up in Japan then?

Born and bought up in the UK. I've only been in Japan since Aug. As for the weather here, it's sunny actually, although verrrry cold. I'm back home (UK) over Xmas though (fly out tommorow, infact! Woooo!). The weather here is certainly comparable (to the UK), although the summer (well, Aug anyway) was very humid in Japan.

ReputationRep:
    hi, im from UK and its 4:48am, ive got insomnia and im in a viscious circle, cos i got up about 3pm or so and so couldnt fall asleep, this has been going on for a few days. If i go to sleep about 7 ill wake up about 4 or 5 and feel screwed up when i wake up and its dark outside. Ive been really stressed and cant cope with family stuff and my own failing eduation stuff going on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Born and bought up in the UK. I've only been in Japan since Aug. As for the weather here, it's sunny actually, although verrrry cold. I'm back home (UK) over Xmas though (fly out tommorow, infact! Woooo!). The weather here is certainly comparable (to the UK), although the summer (well, Aug anyway) was very humid in Japan.
    Interesting. So what made you decide to study in Japan? It's not exactly common! Or are you teaching English on a gap year or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Interesting. So what made you decide to study in Japan? It's not exactly common! Or are you teaching English on a gap year or something?

Weeelll, sort of like a gap year. It wasn't planned as such, I didn't think I would go back into education after having been here in Japan, but now that I am certain on wanting to go into academia/become a lecturer (in some shape or form) it's become a gap year in that I will go back to study. Here I teach English, do some editorial work for a local journal on education/teaching, doing some research into economy and education for a regional bank.

Although, cannot say I am keeping quite as busy as you are!! I have more than enough hours in the day!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VampireWithSoul)
    hi, im from UK and its 4:48am, ive got insomnia and im in a viscious circle, cos i got up about 3pm or so and so couldnt fall asleep, this has been going on for a few days. If i go to sleep about 7 ill wake up about 4 or 5 and feel screwed up when i wake up and its dark outside. Ive been really stressed and cant cope with family stuff and my own failing eduation stuff going on
    Try staying up the rest of today, and go to sleep as late as you can manage. I don't think humans are designed to be nocturnal!
    A lack of sunlight probably isn't helping. Something to do with vitamin D, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Weeelll, sort of like a gap year. It wasn't planned as such, I didn't think I would go back into education after having been here in Japan, but now that I am certain on wanting to go into academia/become a lecturer (in some shape or form) it's become a gap year in that I will go back to study. Here I teach English, do some editorial work for a local journal on education/teaching, doing some research into economy and education for a regional bank.

Although, cannot say I am keeping quite as busy as you are!! I have more than enough hours in the day!!
    That's some awesome stuff you've been doing. Had to learn the local lingo?? That must be the main challenge, the communication barrier I would have thought. So where are you heading next year for uni do you know? (sorry for all the questions, just interested!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    That's some awesome stuff you've been doing. Had to learn the local lingo?? That must be the main challenge, the communication barrier I would have thought. So where are you heading next year for uni do you know? (sorry for all the questions, just interested!)

Ahhh, so true. Although, I have so many English speaking people around me, and my entire workload is in English (also, I'm in a RELATIVELY multi cultural city). Soo, those are my excuses for having learnt very little Japanese! Actually, I vow to spend a lot of time on it after xmas! As for Uni, well, I was hoping London Business School, Cambridge or ( back to) LSE. It's all very confusing:O

ReputationRep:
    OK, I really really really have to go and concentrate now, so I'll see you all some other time!

Night!

(morning, whatever.)

ReputationRep:
    I'm a) ill b) bored c) Insomniac d) If I go to sleep I won't get up till 4pm

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.