Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to do French and Russian (deferred entry) and hold a firm and insurance offer. However I don't want to do that course any more, I've changed my mind to radiotherapy (yes I am female, therefore I can't make up my mind :rolleyes: ) What are the chances of getting onto a radiotherapy course through clearing with my personal statement etc being for languages?

Also, the UCAS website is going on about a Clearing Entry Form, does anyone understand what it is and how you get it in time for clearing? It says you might not get one until 1st Sept, by which time all the places will probbably be gone. Please can someone help me out, I'm so confused!!!

ReputationRep:
    A clearing entry form is used to go through clearing. You just enter all your personal information, GCSE/A-level grades, uni's/courses. You send it to the uni's concern. If you are unsuccessful, the form returns to you, and send that form again to another uni until you get accepted. An example of a clearing entry form: http://www.studential.com/ucas/clearingform.htm According to his diary, he got it on August 19th 2003. http://www.studential.com/letters/ucas/preresults.htm

You could actually re-apply again for a different course if you want.

ReputationRep:
    But what about the people who phone up the unis on the day and get offers the same day? I really don't understand :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    But what about the people who phone up the unis on the day and get offers the same day? I really don't understand :s:
    yep aswell as your clearing entry form you still have to ring up the uni's which have the courses you are after. They may then give you an unofficial offer (via email) and you then send off the clearing form to them to make it official.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esx77)
    yep aswell as your clearing entry form you still have to ring up the uni's which have the courses you are after. They may then give you an unofficial offer (via email) and you then send off the clearing form to them to make it official.
    In addition to this, they might do an informal interview too (a mini one though).

ReputationRep:
    Oooooohhh I get it now!

Thanks guys Would it be worth me trying to get onto a radiography course through clearing even if my PS is for languages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Oooooohhh I get it now!

Thanks guys Would it be worth me trying to get onto a radiography course through clearing even if my PS is for languages?
    I'm not sure if you'd still have to submit a personal statement if you applied through clearing because you use a different application form and it might just want your qualifications and choices, but if you want to be really prepared and convince them that you've finally made your mind up :p: you could always write one now just in case. It may also come in handy if they ask you over the phone why you want to do the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I'm not sure if you'd still have to submit a personal statement if you applied through clearing because you use a different application form and it might just want your qualifications and choices, but if you want to be really prepared and convince them that you've finally made your mind up :p: you could always write one now just in case. It may also come in handy if they ask you over the phone why you want to do the course.
    Good plan! It'll depend on the results I get. If I get a D in biology I'll go for it, Cardiff said they might let me in if I had enough points - they want 220 and I can get 230 - 260 if my result go how I think they will. (French - C - 80 pts, Bio - C - 60 pts, Health and Social - A/B - 60/50 pts, Geog - C -40 pts, Chem - E - 20 pts). Now all I have to do is hope that unis I want have places left!

How did your exams go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Good plan! It'll depend on the results I get. If I get a D in biology I'll go for it, Cardiff said they might let me in if I had enough points - they want 220 and I can get 230 - 260 if my result go how I think they will. (French - C - 80 pts, Bio - C - 60 pts, Health and Social - A/B - 60/50 pts, Geog - C -40 pts, Chem - E - 20 pts). Now all I have to do is hope that unis I want have places left!

How did your exams go?
    French and sociology both went really well and history was quite good too, although Unit 1 could have been better. It's just English I'm worried about but hopefully I'll get at least a B overall because my coursework was an A (worth 30%), and if not, I can always resit. It seems like ages ago now that I did them- I finished on the 8th June! The only annoying thing now is waiting ages for results.

ReputationRep:
    French and sociology both went really well and history was quite good too, although Unit 1 could have been better. It's just English I'm worried about but hopefully I'll get at least a B overall because my coursework was an A (worth 30%), and if not, I can always resit. It seems like ages ago now that I did them- I finished on the 8th June! The only annoying thing now is waiting ages for results.

Resits were my savior, biology from an E/U to a C which has rescued my hopes for a career in the health service lol. The majority of people do at least one resit in January anyway and the better mark of the 2 exams goes forward so I'm sure you'll do fine.

Do you think it's a good idea to try and find a course through clearing or should I stick with my original plan of retaking A2 biology and completing my A2 in health and social care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Do you think it's a good idea to try and find a course through clearing or should I stick with my original plan of retaking A2 biology and completing my A2 in health and social care?
    If you find a course through clearing, the uni's you might want to go to for thecourse you do might not be on there. Therefore, I would recommend you to retake A2 biology and completing A2 health and social care, followed by re-applying again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    If you find a course through clearing, the uni's you might want to go to for thecourse you do might not be on there. Therefore, I would recommend you to retake A2 biology and completing A2 health and social care, followed by re-applying again.
    Yeh I will do, it's worth a try hey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Yeh I will do, it's worth a try hey
    There's no harm going through clearing to find the course/uni you want. Maybe this year, the uni you want to do the course in might be in clearing. Obviously, you would want to apply to that uni through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    There's no harm going through clearing to find the course/uni you want. Maybe this year, the uni you want to do the course in might be in clearing. Obviously, you would want to apply to that uni through clearing.
    5 out of 8 have places left on UCAS extra, so there's a chance if I don't get in then I'll repeat the year and reapply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    5 out of 8 have places left on UCAS extra, so there's a chance if I don't get in then I'll repeat the year and reapply
    Indeed, you have a chance. Good luck. Hope you can get a place on Radiography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Resits were my savior, biology from an E/U to a C which has rescued my hopes for a career in the health service lol. The majority of people do at least one resit in January anyway and the better mark of the 2 exams goes forward so I'm sure you'll do fine.

It depends how desperate you are to go to uni this year really. If you try and get a place through clearing, it will all be a bit of a rush and you might not get accommodation, whereas if you withdraw from UCAS and reapply next year, you'll have more time to think about where you want to go and it will generally be more organised. If you can get a place at somewhere you really want to go through clearing, there's no point turning it down, but otherwise, it might be an idea to reapply. Good luck with it all

ReputationRep:
    It depends how desperate you are to go to uni this year really. If you try and get a place through clearing, it will all be a bit of a rush and you might not get accommodation, whereas if you withdraw from UCAS and reapply next year, you'll have more time to think about where you want to go and it will generally be more organised. If you can get a place at somewhere you really want to go through clearing, there's no point turning it down, but otherwise, it might be an idea to reapply. Good luck with it all
    I'm not planning to go this year, I'm hoping for a deferred place but if I don't get one through clearing then I'll repeat the year and apply in September for entry in 2006. Do they really not look at your personal statement when you're applying through clearing?

What a complicated situation!

ReputationRep:
    Clearing happens after the exam results are out right? Or does the general process start before then? (Forms etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarFishy)
    Clearing happens after the exam results are out right? Or does the general process start before then? (Forms etc)
    It will happen when the results come out. Before the results day, if your firm or insurance didn't accept you, you will be sent a clearing entry form (CEF).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    I'm not planning to go this year, I'm hoping for a deferred place but if I don't get one through clearing then I'll repeat the year and apply in September for entry in 2006. Do they really not look at your personal statement when you're applying through clearing?

What a complicated situation!
    I'm not sure :confused: I would have thought there'd be a space for it on the CEF. That must mean they don't get your reference either....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.