Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I'm not sure :confused: I would have thought there'd be a space for it on the CEF. That must mean they don't get your reference either....
    I saw the CEF on studential, and it didn't show a space for the personal statement and reference. I guess they call UCAS for the personal statement or teacher's reference. In addition, the uni's will call you for an interview anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    It will happen when the results come out. Before the results day, if your firm or insurance didn't accept you, you will be sent a clearing entry form (CEF).
    I heard that you get a CEF regardless of your results...
    Doesn't a CEF state your results on it though??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Nope, you only get one if you actually need to use it :confused:

To the original poster, have you got your firm and insurance choices to release you? You need to do that first.

Clearing is just a matter of ringing up the places that have spaces and trying to convince them to take you, they don't really look at your personal statement. Once you've decided where you want to go you send them the CEF (or if you haven't seen the uni yet, you might want to take it to them in person), and then your place should be confirmed

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the CEF states your results (A-levels and GCSEs). The person only gets it when they don't get in their firm or insurance choice. In addition, the person gets the form before results day too. If the person gets the form before results day, they should automatically know that they were not accepted to their firm and insurance choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Yes, the CEF states your results (A-levels and GCSEs). The person only gets it when they don't get in their firm or insurance choice. In addition, the person gets the form before results day too. If the person gets the form before results day, they should automatically know that they were not accepted to their firm and insurance choice.
    How can the person get the form before results day? They'd then get their results before results day! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How can the person get the form before results day? They'd then get their results before results day! :rolleyes:
    O yeah. I thought it was before results day. I read somewhere about this, forgot whre though.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, you don't get it till after results day! But you don't actually need it until you've made a decision and need to send it off somewhere. (my friend went through clearing last year, and I went with him when he went to nottingham to give them his clearing form)

If you want to see what it looks like, go here:
    http://www.studential.com/ucas/clearingform.htm

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Trev and Frances. Hopefully on my computer screen is the only place i'll be seeing one of those forms
    Ouch! That guy went into clearing with AABc!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Trev and Frances. Hopefully on my computer screen is the only place i'll be seeing one of those forms
    You're welcome.

Yeah, that guy went into clearing with those grades. I'm sure that guy's offer is something like ABB-BBB. I would just accept the offer instead of going through clearing though. At least in the end, he got a place through clearing and is happy.

ReputationRep:
    I think he had an AAA offer from oxford- you can read his uni application diary on that site. He used to post on here quite a bit as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I'm not sure :confused: I would have thought there'd be a space for it on the CEF. That must mean they don't get your reference either....

Well there's no way I've made my firm or insurance offer so I'm free from the contracts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    I think he had an AAA offer from oxford- you can read his uni application diary on that site. He used to post on here quite a bit as well.
    Yeah. In the end, he went to a decent uni (i.e. Essex) to do Economics & Maths.

ReputationRep:
    When you ring the universities up, what sort of things to they ask you/have you got to say?
    I heard the universities with places are in the papers on that day. I imagine they'll be on the UCAS website as well right?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    No doubt they'll ask you for your grades and subjects, and probably why you want to study your course as well. Your general details too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarFishy)
    When you ring the universities up, what sort of things to they ask you/have you got to say?
    I heard the universities with places are in the papers on that day. I imagine they'll be on the UCAS website as well right?
    thanks
    I would write a mini personal statement so you can refer to it, when they ask questions like Acaila said. The grades and subjects and stuff will be printed on the clearing form.

ReputationRep:
    Know your personal statement well so you can throw in little bits of it during the conversation. It will look a bit staged if you start a little speech that sounds just like a personal statement only read (and they might think you're reading it to them which would probably be bad). Having it in front of you might not be a bad idea just for prompting. I don't know if they'd ask, but if you know your extra curric achievements, relevant work experience, why your subject choices would make you an ideal student of that course, then you can hopefully come across as quick-thinking, and just the sort of person they're looking for.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.