Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone read Killer Angels by Michael Shaara? I have to read it for after the Christmas break and I heard that our test on it is the hardest test of the year. Can anyone help me? I have read the first day and am going to reaad the rest this weekend. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dxxx)
    Has anyone read Killer Angels by Michael Shaara? I have to read it for after the Christmas break and I heard that our test on it is the hardest test of the year. Can anyone help me? I have read the first day and am going to reaad the rest this weekend. thanks
    Never heard of it. What's it about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dxxx)
    As usual, Good old Google...

Example questions:

1. One of the major conflicts in the novel is the disagreement between Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and James Longstreet on how they should fight the battle. What does each man think the army should do and why? What is significant about Longstreet's plan?

2. Why did the Confederate army lose the battle of Gettysburg?

3. The main characters on the Confederate side are all generals: Robert E. Lee, James Longstreet, George Pickett, and Lew Armistead. But the main character on the Union side is a colonel, Joshua L. Chamberlain. Why would the author choose to use Chamberlain instead of the Union generals?

Suggested Essay Topics

4. Is Longstreet wrong to obey Lee's orders, even though he disagrees? Should he have tried to get the other generals to help him change Lee's mind? Why doesn't Longstreet tried to take command from Lee?

5. Why is Chamberlain so bothered about having his brother serving with him in his regiment? Why would he want to order his brother out of the regiment?

6. Author Michael Shaara changes some of the historical facts about the battle — for instance, he puts Chamberlain in the middle of the Union line during Pickett's charge, when in fact Chamberlain was more than a mile south at the time. Why do you think Shaara does this? Do you think it's good or bad to change the facts in a historical novel?

7. Discuss how the issue of slavery is dealt with by the characters in The Killer Angels. Be sure to cite examples from both Confederate and Union characters.

8. Discuss death and the way it is dealt with by the characters in The Killer Angels.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.