Turn on thread page Beta

What’s it like growing up and living in Hong Kong? watch

ReputationRep:
    Even though I'm headed for the UK (which says something about its attractiveness), I am inclined to agree with you when you say that both Hong Kong and Singapore make the UK look "rather pathetic". Of course, not entirely; but in some ways, I have to agree.

ReputationRep:
    How / In which way do HK and Singapore make the UK look "rather pathetic"?

I live in Denmark at the moment, but I know I will settle down in another country permanently within the next 5-6 years, so I'm very interested.

ReputationRep:
    things that are better about HK/Singapore:

Public transport has to be the big one - it's absolutely fantastic in both HK and Singapore, plus their international airports are so slick. Both countries seem to be more efficient in the workplace than the UK. Crime is much lower. People are friendlier - no road rage, no one is going to punch you on a night out... There are no chavs. Both cities are cleaner - less litter and graffiti. The quality of restaurant food across all price ranges is better but especially in cheaper establishments. The vast majority of things are cheaper. The weather is better. There are never any stories in the news about a 12 year old girl having a baby with her boyfriend.

Both countries make the UK look anaemic and backward in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    this was certainly an interesting thread to read!
    vivado seemed to be defending her beloved country well.
    Ok i was born and brought up in hk till HKCEE then went to study at an international school studying for Brtish Alevels. AFTER that I went to UK for university and am now currently progressing into my final year.

Edu system
    My idea about the hk educational system is that it benefits only a very small proportion of the student population. It is still operating with a elitism attitude (hk ppl believe that elitism= prestige). In other words, they either make the exams so hard so to screen out the best or that they tailor made the exams to fit only the students they wanted to see as leaders of hk in the future. Either way i'm not entirely sure but one thing I'm sure of the local edu sys is how ridiculous things can get. Local students who managed to get into HKU think the the world is thier oyster. I don't enjoy seeing that scene tho since Hk universities aren't really THAT great. Just another University boosting exam techniques and getting grades. Hk ppl just enjoy doing redundant things to make themselves look better than other people.

Medical services
    Medical service is probably very good but still not bad in UK NHS either, I remember dislocating my ac joint during sports in Uk uni and they provided my with a cuff and collar from a proper physician for 3 weeks and 6 weeks of physio afterwards....all FREE!! It is quite generous for a foreigner to be treated that way. in HK I might had been asked to pay a small amount for that.

Transport
    of course tubes are old in London when compared with HK. Think again tho that how many years had the london tube been there for and how complicated the london tube system itself is!

HK vs. S'pore
    I met a couple of malaysian and s'porean exchange students at uni. One girl told me how singaporeans work hard because they don't want to lose out instead of having a genuine ambition to win. Also she mentioned how lovely it was for the uk edu sys to have a balanced lifestyle. from what she told me, singaporeans are pretty good in terms of domestic financial expenditures as seen in the attitude parents put into their childrens' musical education, e.g. they buy a toy keyboard for the kid until they managed to attain a certain ABRSM grade before they consider buying a proper piano due to the fear that their child would abandon the skill and waste their parents money. From the mouth of a local singaporean tho, she doesn't appreciate the attitudes that the majority of the population holds.
    I'm sure s'pore has a lot of good food tho and I really long to visit my friends over there. I think singpore is adopting a policy to make sure that nothing which is beneficial to the society would be wasted, which is essentially finding the perfect formula for a leading international city to survive.

Ok it seemed like Hk is better than Singapore but there are things in which I absolutely detest about the place I was born in.

Back to education

The culture.........the edu sys has a group of students at the top who strives well and then a Big pool of students beneath that simply aren't motivated enough with poor linguistic abilities, inability with academic work with plenty of teenage issues etc. in hk, its better to get into the right school than to enter a mediocre one and struggle your way up, it just doesn't work that way because once your child gets into your respective Primary school (or even kindergarten), they are catagorized immediately as whether having a bright future or not, these things happen when the child hadn't even developed a sense of self yet and is certainly quite sad since this implies that a very significant part of whether the child will be well off in the future depends on their parents status and wealth (say your parents are GPs, their child are most likely to get into a famous acedmically strong school).

the examination system here are making students think rigidly as well. They also think snobbishly that the harder the syllabus is, the smarter you prove yourself to be. Sometimes I wonder why, when western countries have easier to learn syllabus, they seem to be capable to discussing in a more philosophical context? This has nothing to do with what you learn but the capacity to conduct in depth thoughts. To me, HK students are shallow creatures whose aim for university is to get into the course which yields the best profit after graduation. Because of this attitude, I do not view the character of a hk student to be of an ideal model to look upon, and hence moral standards are of doubt and that personal conflicts due to capital favours with a tricky/sly nature happens all the time.

Frankly speaking, i support that Uk edu system because my HKCEEs weren't of great standards but I did well in GCE Alevels. It wasn't just the grades that made the difference to my evaluation of both edu systems but that Uk education system actually was beneficial to my personal development, e.g. having a stronger sense of self confidence, a better critical ability, and more awareness to my own life goals. Hk edu system is soo passive in which i believe that they will rarely be able to experience this In uk, they consider only around half a grade higher for HKAL if they converted it for admission to Uk University. in effect, HkAL aren;t really As god-ified as most hk students believed to be. I knew that most hk students think they should be considered as smarter and admitted easier than other countries just because their examination system made them apprently smarter. I know that many hk-ers will start bombarding me that the Uk system is easier and hence inferior to the HKAL system, but what is the use of wasting so much excessive effort trying to obtain a grade that is not well recognized overseas anwayz? Do Hk ppl need to go so far just to prove their superiority over their peers?

Cultural Tolerance
    talking about discrimination, Chinese ppl discriminate stronger than UK/US. In other words, I really believe that chinese ppl are not as civilized as western cultures. Indians are labelled as hard work, cheap labour as opposed to UK(maybe still cheap but with more respect). I rarely see an Indian doctor in hospital working. This only symbolises how conservative the society remained to be despite all that westernization that happened at the surface. Hk ppl dun even show superficial respect to ppl from other races and I simply think that is not a right attitude to adopt.
    i heard that chinese are treated as 3rd class citizens from the caucasians with indians 2nd and 1st whites... i wonder if that is still true as i heard from a local radio station.

Government
    I truly believed that Hk thrived better under colonial rule than under the SAR government. Yes HK remains to be a hub for financial companies but I believe that the Uk gov't did very well to povide us this hardware in which Hk inherited after 1997. The leaders of HK did well when we were still a colony and before they were at where they are now...and for me that was because the foreign leaders were the ones that decided on the policies (Uk is a country with a strong and well developed political system) in which most hk officials simply followed the rules/policies which was set under the context. However, after 1997, the policies weren;t decided by Uk anymore and things messed up, which from my perspective could be traced to the quality of the hk leaders themselves. Similarly, most chinese do things sleazily, even if you tell them what rules to abide to, they can still stray off the 'right' path.
    the sadness about this race is that they cannot discipline themselves strictly and hence all the news about the slacking government in ensuring safe food for local consumption.

ReputationRep:
    HK maybe have a crappy education system and narrow-minded people, but i must say HK sure is one awesome city when it comes to shopping!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geordie_in_HK)
    things that are better about HK/Singapore:

Public transport has to be the big one - it's absolutely fantastic in both HK and Singapore, plus their international airports are so slick. Both countries seem to be more efficient in the workplace than the UK. Crime is much lower. People are friendlier - no road rage, no one is going to punch you on a night out... There are no chavs. Both cities are cleaner - less litter and graffiti. The quality of restaurant food across all price ranges is better but especially in cheaper establishments. The vast majority of things are cheaper. The weather is better. There are never any stories in the news about a 12 year old girl having a baby with her boyfriend.

Both countries make the UK look anaemic and backward in some cases.
    That was rather harsh haha..
    Hong Kong has it's dirty sides as well as the clean sides I guess..
    Multicultrivalisim definitley exist more prominently in the UK than than HK.

As for someone who mentioned about Phillipinos getting low wages, you really should remember what type of jobs they're doing and in reality how much money it is worth in the Phillipines. Even though it may not seem significant in Hong Kong, in fact, they are one of the highest paid when compared with all around all of Asia. They're given regular holidays every saturday, sunday, and other Chinese/some Western holidays and the goverment even closes off a whole Central (business district) just for them to relax with their other fellow Phillipinos.

Learning Cantonese is really not a nessesity in HK, majority would have some basic grasp in English, and those with recognized professions are likely to speak English rather fluently. Of course, Caucasians able to speak Cantonese would usually suprise us.

As for HKs future, it seems rather positive. HK is geographically suitable as a logistical centre. The banking system is well established and telecommunications are advanced. It is one of the least corrupt area in the world.

and for those who were arguing about Hong Kong as SE Asia - HK is usually labelled as part of South East Asia EVEN though it technically isn't.

Hong Kong is not a country, but it is given power to the goverement (apparentely) to govern the city itself, and hence the "SAR" i.e. SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snf.)

As for someone who mentioned about Phillipinos getting low wages, you really should remember what type of jobs they're doing and in reality how much money it is worth in the Phillipines. Even though it may not seem significant in Hong Kong, in fact, they are one of the highest paid when compared with all around all of Asia. They're given regular holidays every saturday, sunday, and other Chinese/some Western holidays and the goverment even closes off a whole Central (business district) just for them to relax with their other fellow Phillipinos.

Umm..well the majority of phillipinos are domestic helpers, but there are also some highly qualifed philipinos here who don't fit into your category. Look at socailite Audrey Chiu (who was a lawyer before getting married). She has more money and more designer handbags than I could ever hope for.

And I highly doubt that Central is closed off for the Phillipinos. More the fact that, being the buisness district, Central is largely empty and quiet on public holidays. And to add to that, phillipino domestic helpers just congregate there and it so happened. Not government policy or anything, I'm sure the government would rather they do their socializing somewhere else less symbolic of the hk buisness environment.

ReputationRep:
    I truly believed that Hk thrived better under colonial rule than under the SAR government. Yes HK remains to be a hub for financial companies but I believe that the Uk gov't did very well to povide us this hardware in which Hk inherited after 1997. The leaders of HK did well when we were still a colony and before they were at where they are now...and for me that was because the foreign leaders were the ones that decided on the policies (Uk is a country with a strong and well developed political system) in which most hk officials simply followed the rules/policies which was set under the context. However, after 1997, the policies weren;t decided by Uk anymore and things messed up, which from my perspective could be traced to the quality of the hk leaders themselves. [B]Similarly, most chinese do things sleazily, even if you tell them what rules to abide to, they can still stray off the 'right' path.
    the sadness about this race is that they cannot discipline themselves strictly and hence all the news about the slacking government in ensuring safe food for local consumption.
    In hindsight, times may have seemed better for HK under colonial rule, but lets not forget that Chinese HK-ers were always second-class citizens in their own land prior to 1997, with the lack of anti-discrimination laws availible and with their issuing of "BNO" passports. The new government has also had to deal with lots of other factors. Asian economic crisis, lack of confidence from day one (the fear of a "communist" takeover with all these people immigrating to canada), inexperience of local leaders and a lack of autonomy in decision-making. Its a different situation. It is not inherent that chinese do things sleazily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renarr)
    If you're a guai lo (colloquial cantonese term which means white man), you'll have many local chinese girls falling at your feet (i'm just being honest here...)
    Does guailo mean "white man" or "white devil"? I always thought it was a derogatory term?

ReputationRep:
    "Guai" means weird or foreign, "lo" is actually an endearing term to describe someone advanced in age. How the term became derogatory baffles me.

Snf, you seem not to be disturbed by incorrect labels.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, my mistake.

I'm sure I was taught back in sociology that it meant "white devil", maybe not! :confused:

- - - - -
    However there are people who think it means foreign devil below.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...2B+devil&meta=

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's natural to be wary of the hidden meanings of labels pinned upon yourself by foreigners.

In fact, I remember my English teacher bemoaning the fact that immigration counters in the U.S. were, according to her then, separated into those for "U.S. citizens" and "Aliens". She found it offensive. I am still left wondering why she is an English teacher.

ReputationRep:
    what about this mates, basically the buses in hong kong is the same as in london, the taxis in hong kong is better, the tube is the same just that it is cleaner and safer

ReputationRep:
    The taxis in Hong Kong are much cheaper as well. And I'd say the MTR is definitely more reliable and less prone to strikes. But industrial action is another matter altogether.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CNN Center)
    "Guai" means weird or foreign, "lo" is actually an endearing term to describe someone advanced in age. How the term became derogatory baffles me.

Snf, you seem not to be disturbed by incorrect labels.
    I'm almost certian you're wrong dude.

"Guai" means "ghost" (an evil spirit and therefore negative) and "lo" means a man in the most-casual and colloquial term - usually not a good thing. Therefore I am almost certian that the term is negative (even though Chinese people might profess it to not be). Just check the ed1son's google link and see what we mean.

That is, unless you don't speak Chinese or whatever. In which case, well done.

ReputationRep:
    Gweilo- does literally translate as "white devil" and was originally used as a derrogatory term however, these days it is commonly used by most of the general public to describe westeners. Westerners refer to themselves as Gweilo's and therefore the term has become less of an offense and more of a classification.
    Public transport- cannot even be compared to the UK. the Bus services are reliable, frequent, and mostly 24 hours. The MTR runs untill 12:30 and the trains are every 3 mins and in rush hour every minute. Cheap as chip aswell. Taxis are about the same prices as buses in the UK so dont even get me started on those. then there are the trams- costs about 20p and you can get from one end of HK to other for that. then minibuses- pick up and drop off anywhere on their route.
    The chinese are often described as being a fairly discriminatory race, and to be fair, this is not untirely untrue. however, HK is part of China and therefore in their country, respect THEIR cultures and beliefs. Many expat, tourist or Gweilos if you will forget this. This perhaps being the reason for their so called discrimination.
    any more questions?

ReputationRep:
    p.s- the whole of central is most certainly not closed off on sunday and ph's for the phillipinos. Rather one single street is blocked off for their benefit, so they have somewhere to commune as before this they used to piss everyone off by sitting anywhere and blocking paths, roads and all sorts of useful things.

ReputationRep:
    There may be low taxes but there's no NHS and pensions are low/not there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    There may be low taxes but there's no NHS and pensions are low/not there.
    not true. MPF- (mandatory provident fund) scheme meanns 5% of ur monthly salary gets put away and your company add another 5% to make up you pension.
    no NHS, but goverment hospitals yes. And while we are on the subject, remind me again what is so good about the NHS that a country without it couldnt have a fantastic health care system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC87)
    I'm almost certian you're wrong dude.

"Guai" means "ghost" (an evil spirit and therefore negative) and "lo" means a man in the most-casual and colloquial term - usually not a good thing. Therefore I am almost certian that the term is negative (even though Chinese people might profess it to not be). Just check the ed1son's google link and see what we mean.

That is, unless you don't speak Chinese or whatever. In which case, well done.
    Yes, literally it does mean foreign devil but nowadays is used casually in a non insulting way.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.