Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that the University in Prague enable students to become Doctors as well as Dentists? Is this true? The main point I wanted to make was that does anyone now students that attented Harvard University for Medicine or Denistry. What are the requirements and is it likely that potential medicine students will get accepted. Any reply will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

ReputationRep:
    Prague - er... ...it has for years...

If you think you could get into Oxbridge for medicine, and have enough money behind you to fund studies int he US, then give Harvard a shot.

ReputationRep:
    Charles university in prague is the one i think you're talking about. Entry requirements are far lower than british medical schools, i know a guy this year who is going to go with grades of CCC.

ReputationRep:
    They ignore the british A level system, 3 Es are enough. They have an entry exam.

Its meant to be hella difficult. I've heard stories of people going there for a few years study in medicine then transfering to a UK medical school and finding it unbelieveabley easy in comparison. The teaching is very theory based and theres very little patient contact through the whole thing. Lectures are done in English but you must be fluent in Czech by the third year. Theres little support outside of lectures so most of the British/english speaking students stick together and help each other out.

This is really only a very last option, personally I'd take a gap year or go for grad. entry instead, but if you think you'll be dedicated enough, go for it.

(Original post by Fluffy)
    Prague - er... ...it has for years...

If you think you could get into Oxbridge for medicine, and have enough money behind you to fund studies int he US, then give Harvard a shot.
    Harvard is harder than Oxbridge to get into, and although all three are at the pinnacle of education, the requirments for Harvard are quite different from Oxbridge. Course theres nothing stopping you applying there and to another few American/Canadian/Australian medical schools (all equally respected and as good as the UK schools).

ReputationRep:
    you must be absolutely loaded to afford such fees and you have to sit american SAT exams and other crap

trust me, the bmat is hard but nothing like as hard as what you'll have to do to get into an american school like havard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    you must be absolutely loaded to afford such fees and you have to sit american SAT exams and other crap

trust me, the bmat is hard but nothing like as hard as what you'll have to do to get into an american school like havard!
    I know someone who wanted to study in America, took the SAT exams and said that they were about the standard of GCSEs. He got something like 3Bs at A Level and scored so hight that Yale wanted him. So as its also and Ivy League school Harvard I´m sure would be the same. If you are planning Medicine then you´ll be fine in the SATs.
    Studying in America is very very expensive. I was advised by an American post grad at my school not to do it as British people don´t get any finantial help.

ReputationRep:
    You also have to do the MCAT, and get high marks to get into med school...and the MCAT is no joke!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.